The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte, do we really need him??

Rate this topic

86Viking

On 7/16/2022 at 6:23 AM, Coconuts said:

We've already got too many forwards as is, I like Motte but the only remaining forward we need to add is a legitimate 3C.

Agreed, can we move Pearson and Dickison (haha) or Poolman to Dallas for Faksa and hakanpaa

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2022 at 10:06 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nice stat line, 3 hits 4 blocked shots, 100% faceoffs and an even +/- in a game NYR let in 7 goals. I bet he's going to score some clutch playoff goals for that team, resign there and become a fan hero.

image.thumb.png.3885ef156958ad690361a930c2436b51.png

I'm surprised Deslauriers got paid but not surprised Motte isn't getting his 2M cap, it's just too much for a guy who brings almost zero offence to the table sadly. When he was a Canuck he showed his scoring touch but boy did it disappear with NYR, so his agent has to admit defeat and take a pay cut, especially on a contending team. If he wants to play for Arizona they'll probably give him 2M but he's not getting over 1M on a contending team's 4th line and occasional press-box. Sadly as important as high-energy, grit and penalty killing is, it doesn't earn you much money unless you can score as well.

Mikheyev does a similar job to Motte but scored at a 30 goal pace and gets paid big time and rightly so.

When Motte, Lammikko and Highmore were together, that line cost us 3M and you could tell how Bruce leaned on them, they were worth around 10M. What they brought to the rest of the team was immense, made the entire team better and gave us life every single game. It was a rare trio but individually they're all not worth very much sadly.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:03 PM, MikeyD said:

I'm surprised he isn't already signed somewhere to be honest. 

I think he's probably holding out for more money. 

Motte isn't the most talented player, but he's reasonably effective because he plays all-out hockey. Unfortunately, this is also difficult to sustain without injury - as proven by his absences each season.  At this point in his career, he may just be going for the paycheque before his body breaks down permanently. Problem for Motte is that in New York he played more like Lockwood did for us last season - lots of energy and grit, but at the end of the day, no points to show for it. 

Looking for 2m(ish) is a big ask, all things considered, and it's understandable why we moved on. It also makes sense why he isn't signed yet - as my guess is he's following the paycheque.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I think he's probably holding out for more money. 

Motte isn't the most talented player, but he's reasonably effective because he plays all-out hockey. Unfortunately, this is also difficult to sustain without injury - as proven by his absences each season.  At this point in his career, he may just be going for the paycheque before his body breaks down permanently. Problem for Motte is that in New York he played more like Lockwood did for us last season - lots of energy and grit, but at the end of the day, no points to show for it. 

Looking for 2m(ish) is a big ask, all things considered, and it's understandable why we moved on. It also makes sense why he isn't signed yet - as my guess is he's following the paycheque.

Arizona and Anaheim have lots of cap room to give him a bigger pay day. Would be nice to have Motte on the Canucks PK but we got too many forwards some of which should be sent to the ahl

I think this is starting to show why they could only get a 4th for him.

Teams aren’t lining up to give a player with an injury history like him term.

If be happy to give him a 3 year deal at around a mil, but at the same time it might be nice to acquire a more durable player.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, DeNiro said:

I think this is starting to show why they could only get a 4th for him.

Teams aren’t lining up to give a player with an injury history like him term.

If be happy to give him a 3 year deal at around a mil, but at the same time it might be nice to acquire a more durable player.

R9is32ZJ_400x400.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 11:01 PM, Canucks Curse said:

Tyler Motte, who needs him? No seriously which team does? which team needs to spend 2 mill/yr on an average/slightly above average 4th liner

Average or slightly above average?

The guy is one of the best 4th liners in the league.