The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

I’ve been saying Demko the future for years… even over Markstrom…who i liked… but many (most) were stuck on marky being the #1 and paying top dollar to keep him. Marky followed the cash and im glad he is no longer here. 

I've also been high on Demko for many years, and believed that he was the franchise goalie for this team. We should've moved Markström before he walked to UFA. Could've gotten a decent haul for him, and that prospect or pick could've been in Abby right now developing. Unfortunately, a big part of Benning's tenure has been to allow his players who eventually became free agents the next season, to just walk for nothing. I don't know how that's ever a "good" strategy, but it was consistent with him. 

Not sure what the logic was behind that. 

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Who's blaming Gillis?

After the Canucks lost to the Kings in 2012, Gillis went up to ownership with a plan to do a scorched earth rebuild in which we'd trade our top players, at their peaks, for very elite prospects.  Aqua's told Gillis to 'F off' unfortunately.  

When Benning took over the team in 2014, the values of our top players had greatly diminished.  Gillis wasn't the one to blame at all (although even you must admit that Gillis' drafting was off the charts terrible).  Ownership was.

That's exactly what should have happened. It was obvious. So Aqua is DIRECTLY responsible for the lousy 10 years. Good to know. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

He said they weren’t rentals at the time… because the team wasn’t in a position to make a legit cup run…

We all knew he was a rental.  He was Boeser's replacement at the time.  Boeser was out and they needed another top 6 guy.  The team was going all in on trying to make the playoffs, so that the JT Miller traded 1st rounder wasn't a lottery pick that following season.

Edited by Viper007

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I've also been high on Demko for many years, and believed that he was the franchise goalie for this team. We should've moved Markström before he walked to UFA. Could've gotten a decent haul for him, and that prospect or pick could've been in Abby right now developing. Unfortunately, a big part of Benning's tenure has been to allow his players who eventually became free agents the next season, to just walk for nothing. I don't know how that's ever a "good" strategy, but it was consistent with him. 

Another fail on bennings part… letting extremely valuable assets wall for NOTHING… 

Thanks Patel for bringing Benning up… i was ready for sleep… now I want to punch the punching bag. 

So if the only thing they really went over in the morning skate was the forecheck, maybe that means that the more aggressive PK came from the players themselves.  It like they knew what needed to happen, but weren't allowed to do it until now.  That and adding Bo and Petey to the unit shuts down the King's PP that just scored 3 on Edmonton.  Yeah, I think we had some coaching problems alright.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

1) Look at all of the top teams in the league and how many years they experienced growing pains.

2) This 8 years narrative is Thomas Drance drivel/nonsense.

2015: 1st round

2016:  DNQ

2017: DNQ

2018: DNQ 

2019: DNQ

2020: 2nd round

2021: DNQ

2022:  ???

Did we rebuilt this team in record time? Absolutely not.  But again - do some homework kid.  Florida, Carolina, Colorado, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, etc., etc.  Show me a team that didn't go through years upon years of growing pains.  Maybe the Penguins?   The Bruins, to their credit, usually qualified for the playoffs during their growing pains but they always lost in the 1st round.   

Get your facts straight.  

Friends don't let friends be brainwashed my dickheads like Thomas Drance. 

I don't need Thomas Drance.  I have eyes and have seen the garbage on the ice and in the front office year in and year out. Just because you're a crap team doesn't mean it's "growing pains".  It's been crap for 8 years and crap was the status quo this year too.  There was no growing... Just pain.  If you think Benning is so good go cheer for whatever team he's GM of next, except that might be tough because he's never getting a head GMing job again. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

The Dan Hamhuis and Vrbata non trades when we were supposedly "rebuilding/retooling" were definitely a sign of things to come.

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It was never realistic to trade Markstrom at that point. Playoffs were in sight. No GM trades their starting goaltender when winning is on the line. Benning should have done more of the selling in previous years. Trading Markstrom was always a dumb idea at that point. Something some fans do not understand. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

We all knew he was a rental.  He was Boeser's replacement at the time.  Boeser was out and they needed another top 6 guy.  The team was going all in on trying to make the playoffs, so that the JT Miller traded 1st rounder wasn't a lottery pick that following season.

No we all didn’t know Toffoli was a rental. And the team could have absolutely kept him around if it wasn’t for handcuffing ourselves into silly bottom 6 contracts. Would you rather have Toffoli or Pearson+Lammikko?

Either way all the fluff aside it was a stupid move by benning hence why I brought it up in the first place. Trading futures for rentals on a team that didn’t even have a chance of sniffing the Stanley cup champions jock straps. 

9 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Who's blaming Gillis?

After the Canucks lost to the Kings in 2012, Gillis went up to ownership with a plan to do a scorched earth rebuild in which we'd trade our top players, at their peaks, for very elite prospects.  Aqua's told Gillis to 'F off' unfortunately.  

When Benning took over the team in 2014, the values of our top players had greatly diminished.  Gillis wasn't the one to blame at all (although even you must admit that Gillis' drafting was off the charts terrible).  Ownership was.

I think that was after 2013 not 2012, gotta remember the Keith cheap shot on Daniel that had him miss the first 3 games of the playoffs. I think most felt the Canucks still had a chance to compete for the cup but after being swept in '13 Gillis definitely went to ownership with a plan to alter course (I recall them shopping Edler at the same draft they made the Schneider trade).

Maybe Benning told ownership what they wanted to hear. Regardless even if the course was wrong some of the targets they paid assets for (Clendening/Gudbranson/Sbisa) were still bad.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

It was never realistic to trade Markstrom at that point. Playoffs were in sight. No GM trades their starting goaltender when winning is on the line. Benning should have done more of the selling in previous years. Trading Markstrom was always a dumb idea at that point. Something some fans do not understand. 

Weren't we out of a playoff spot though at the point in the season? Not sure if I remember correctly, but we were a fringe "maybe we'll make it, maybe we won't" at best.

We for sure weren't a top contender quality team. The bubble play-ins definitely helped us out.

In hindsight it was definitely good though that we kept Marky for that run.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Overall I like some of the things Benning did but it was time and the fact that Aquilini could pick a better head coach than he could says a lot.

Was Boudreau available in 2017?  (when Benning hired Green).   

I agree with you that it was time for Benning to go.  Things were getting toxic and ownership needed to make a decision to appease the rising toxicity amongst the fans.   

I also agree that Benning's biggest mistake was that he was too loyal to Green.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1