The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Go right ahead.. it's a team that took 8 years to build and your best hope is it can claw back to .500?  You're right.  BENNING BUILT THIS TEAM.  Lol

Just curious - which team and GM do you idolize in terms of a team that “rebuilt the right way” and became an elite team in record time?  Go Ahead....reveal this team to us.

After that, I would like you to do a playoff history search on said team and see how long it took for said team to become really good.  

I think this will be a good exercise and learning experience for you.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Just curious - which team and GM do you idolize in terms of a team that “rebuilt the right way” and became an elite team in record time?  Go Ahead....reveal this team to us.

After that, I would like you to do a playoff history search on said team and see how long it took for said team to become really good.  

I think this will be a good exercise and learning experience for you.  

Bernaby Joe took about 4 years to turn Colorado around... Not quite record time, but all in all not to shabby. 

Take away easy draft picks like Nathan and Cale, but seriously Ratannen? 

This is what happens when you don't hold on to top 1st round picks that are not what you hoped. Matt Duchanee. Take a look at what Colorado got eventually for bitting the bullet and trading him. Not RE signing him to a contact, them he goes to Russia for a few years then call it a carrier with millions still in the bank. 

Anyway off topic a bit but a great knowledgable GM that surrounds himself with other great people could potentially rebuild in approx 4 years. Rare but proven not impossible. 

I really like the subtle changes that Boudreau made to the PP.  (or maybe it was Scott Walker??)

Besides adding Podkolzin on some of the PP's, he also got the players moving around... changing positions and keeping the Kings guessing.

Instead of the players always being in exactly the same position, as we saw time and again with Green's PP, he slid them in and out of positions.

For example, with Boeser... who was always on the left side boards with Green, Boudreau had him moving to multiple different positions.  For Boeser's goal, he was in the high slot on the right side waiting for a pass from behind the net... but for Miller's goal, (where Miller took the Petey position) Boeser was at the point in the usual spot where Quinn Hughes would be.  Boeser then slid a beauty pass across to Miller, just the perfect speed and nice and flat on the ice and Miller got 100% of it with that 97 mph slapper.  This point position for Boeser is actually a good one, because he has such a good wrister he is a threat from there.

The most important thing was the Kings were kept guessing... the opposite of what happened in the past with the Green PP, where every other team knew exactly where the Canuck players would be simply by watching the game replays from the previous games.

You can't be predictable in today's NHL... the PK coaches are too good.  (at least they're too good on most other teams)

I thought the PK was better, but not as much of a dramatic improvement... Green had been getting the PK to be more aggressive in the last few games before he was fired and tonight was mostly the same.

Overall you can see in the PP how even small subtle changes can make all the difference.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I've been so anti Green I was worn out from the sight of him. Me happy now. 

:canucks::towel::frantic::towel::canucks:

Just curious, but how is Boudreau’s coaching, even tonight, different from that of Green’s? 

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

It's not better when you are dealing in the future.  Everybody would low ball offer you if you took any offer.  Oh look JB only got a 5th rounder for Vrbata/Hamhuis.  Guess we can offer them a 5th rounder for (insert future UFA player name here) next trade deadline day.  

I will also point out that what you said here is also purely situational.

If you have an aging player who's contract is about to run out and you have no intention of re-signing them, especially when you are losing and at the bottom of the league rebuilding/retooling (which is the situation the Canucks were in)... then you take what you can get on the market for them. A 5th rounder is still an asset and better than nothing at all.

If teams in the future take stock into that and try to lowball you on a deal for a player you intend on keeping or isn't the same as the aging players you will lose in FA anyways, then you politely tell them to f*ck off and decline their offer. 

That's sort of common sense.

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I really like the subtle changes that Boudreau made to the PP.  (or maybe it was Scott Walker??)

Besides adding Podkolzin on some of the PP's, he also got the players moving around... changing positions and keeping the Kings guessing.

Instead of the players always being in exactly the same position, as we saw time and again with Green's PP, he slid them in and out of positions.

For example, with Boeser... who was always on the left side boards with Green, Boudreau had him moving to multiple different positions.  For Boeser's goal, he was in the high slot on the right side waiting for a pass from behind the net... but for Miller's goal, (where Miller took the Petey position) Boeser was at the point in the usual spot where Quinn Hughes would be.  Boeser then slid a beauty pass across to Miller, just the perfect speed and nice and flat on the ice and Miller got 100% of it with that 97 mph slapper.  This point position for Boeser is actually a good one, because he has such a good wrister he is a threat from there.

The most important thing was the Kings were kept guessing... the opposite of what happened in the past with the Green PP, where every other team knew exactly where the Canuck players would be simply by watching the game replays from the previous games.

You can't be predictable in today's NHL... the PK coaches are too good.  (at least they're too good on most other teams)

I thought the PK was better, but not as much of a dramatic improvement... Green had been getting the PK to be more aggressive in the last few games before he was fired and tonight was mostly the same.

Overall you can see in the PP how even small subtle changes can make all the difference.

So the PK isn’t that much better than when Green had them? Hmmm. 

Boudreau might be getting the ire of fans still. Just not tonight. 

Everything is roses and beautiful tonight. LOL 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Did you watch the game???? 

Read my posts... I listed some of the changes.

Just read them haha 

I wasn’t able to catch the game tonight unfortunately. Saw some of the highlights of the goals scored on twitter. But that’s about it. 

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I will also point out that what you said here is also purely situational.

If you have an aging player who's contract is about to run out and you have no intention of re-signing them, especially when you are losing and at the bottom of the league rebuilding/retooling (which is the situation the Canucks were in)... then you take what you can get on the market for them. A 5th rounder is still an asset and better than nothing at all.

If teams in the future take stock into that and try to lowball you on a deal for a player you intend on keeping or isn't the same as the aging players you will lose in FA anyways, then you politely tell them to f*ck off and decline their offer. 

That's sort of common sense.

Just decline their offer, and tell them to &^@# off. 

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Great post and goes with anything really. If you don't accept change and look for it, you'll be left behind. 

-Blockbuster video stayed status quo, not broke dont fix it mentality.

Rodgers video... Nuff said. 

Also hockey not just pp but players. 

Johnny Goudraue in Calgary perfect example. Came in the league, lit it up for a few years till everyone figured it out. 

He never changed his play and went from a potential top 5, to a top 50. 

He's changed it up and now being his normal pain in the ass. 

Mr, Pettersson needs to change it up ASAP. Everyone has the tape on him now and how to defend. I believe Petty is way to stubborn and proud to keep this play up. He will find ways to get opponents guessing soon enough. 

Once again 20 years old 

3 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

image.thumb.png.0dd4177e8ac362cebc5235ef955524c4.png

Not to make too much out of one game, but they only gave up four high danger chances at 5 on 5 and had 11 of their own. It was great that they won, even better that they fully deserved it.

It was not only 24 hour yet of the firing. And Bruce got them all on the same page... he gets mad at Brock for not shooting lol.. he gave credit to the goalie...element of surprise wow... not like green same ol crap in New piles...

The biggest change in my opinion was the 5 on 5 play.

Unlike under Green, I saw a lot more real chances on the rush, and a lot better puck support when crossing the Blue Line.

There was also a lot better timing on the forecheck... the players were moving with a lot more speed when they hit the blueline so they were on the King's D much faster.  One shift Pettersson hit the Kings blue line at absolute maximum speed and was on the Kings D right away.... other players were also moving faster.

Also I saw more double teaming on the forecheck... the early Canuck player pressuring and then a second Canuck player would come into the situation just as the Kings player was forced to make a pass... the result was more turnovers and poorer clearing of the zone by the Kings. 

I saw a lot of wasted passes and icings by the Kings because the Canucks were pressuring them.  This is the opposite of what I was seeing under Green... where the opposing teams usually had plenty of time during the breakout and often next to no opposition in the neutral zone and crossing the blue line.

The Canucks need their forwards forcing turnovers more in the neutral zone, with their relatively weak defense, they can't afford to let other teams get established... if you look at the worst games earlier this season, you see endless shifts where the other team has puck possession for minutes on end in the Canuck D Zone.  When that happens, it saps the energy of the team and they get into cycle of late changes and players getting worn out... so they have nothing left to attack with.

Hoping Boudreau can continue to shake up the team's negative thinking and get them to see solutions... the next item on his list probably will be a look at the PK.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not even thinking about playoffs right now. I just want to see them be able to put this level of effort and aggressive play on special teams through a majority of games. Build some confidence back and see what this team is capable of and what we’re lacking. Play some entertaining hockey and let the chips fall where they may. Tonight was a lot of fun but there is a lot of work ahead to turn this into any kind of a contender.

Ditto and Imo, Green played the role of a great coach but his record contradicted the persona he was projecting.

Looking forward to how they will play against tougher competition; and what a difference from the Pit game.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The biggest change in my opinion was the 5 on 5 play.

Unlike under Green, I saw a lot more real chances on the rush, and a lot better puck support when crossing the Blue Line.

There was also a lot better timing on the forecheck... the players were moving with a lot more speed when they hit the blueline so they were on the King's D much faster.  One shift Pettersson hit the Kings blue line at absolute maximum speed and was on the Kings D right away.... other players were also moving faster.

Also I saw more double teaming on the forecheck... the early Canuck player pressuring and then a second Canuck player would come into the situation just as the Kings player was forced to make a pass... the result was more turnovers and poorer clearing of the zone by the Kings. 

I saw a lot of wasted passes and icings by the Kings because the Canucks were pressuring them.  This is the opposite of what I was seeing under Green... where the opposing teams usually had plenty of time during the breakout and often next to no opposition in the neutral zone and crossing the blue line.

The Canucks need their forwards forcing turnovers more in the neutral zone, with their relatively weak defense, they can't afford to let other teams get established... if you look at the worst games earlier this season, you see endless shifts where the other team has puck possession for minutes on end in the Canuck D Zone.  When that happens, it saps the energy of the team and they get into cycle of late changes and players getting worn out... so they have nothing left to attack with.

Hoping Boudreau can continue to shake up the team's negative thinking and get them to see solutions... the next item on his list probably will be a look at the PK.

Outside, of Hughes the deployment was almost even and rolling four lines, keeps the roster engaged & fresher to maintain effort though out the game.

Looking forward to the next games - especially, against tougher competition 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Congrats to Canucks for a big win

Congrats to Bruce for the winning of his first coaching with Canucks

Congrats to Demko for the first SO this season

There were lots of changes to-night.

The whole team looks more fast and energy.

The PP was more aggressive, players turned around and around, and more shootings.

The PK was quite good, especially put Pettersson as a Pker.

The whole team shown totally difference, compared with under Green's coaching.

Keep it!