The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Throw out any names you heard previously then.

If Rutherford has autonomy then he will be hiring his guy.

The good news is that I have a feeling that when someone as respected and connected as Rutherford calls, guys pick up. Shouldn’t have a shortage of options.

Yeah

only guy I really fear oddly enough has the initials JB …. Down in Seattle. 

Interesting times

FA keeps hiring Jim’s 

these are the jims I know I know these are the Jim’s  I know. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Bring us Al Murray and then Brackett back for drafting/scouting, as well as GIlman back as GM or AGM in some fashion for contract work and you'll have my undying worship

Suspect Brackett isn't going anywhere for less than a GM position.  I'd strongly consider it.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. Excited to see who they find to work under him.

Who you think it's going to be Phil? My money is on one of Miller or Boeser....long shot, Horvat.

Though I think that comes later, deadline or summer. Something like Miller, Rathbone and Poolman packaged for a #2 RD and a 3C would be a-ok in my books. Downgrade the F, upgrade the D. Was hoping NYI's would be better this year and they'd be all in enough to maybe shake lose Dobson and Czikas in that scenario. But alas...

Right now, I'd just be happy if they find us a defensive 3LD with some size and snarl. Someone like McNabb. He is expiring...but VGK probably makes playoffs at this rate and they keep him for a run. (Perhaps take a run at him this summer?) 

Zadorov only signed for 1 year…

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Problem is we’re not getting Lombardi with a lateral offer.

Only way you get him away from Philly is if he’s interested in the GM role.

My top three choices would be Lombardi, McPhee, or MacFarland for GM.

Not sure how a PoHO position is a lateral move from senior adviser. Think that is a promotion whichever way you cut it.

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Wasn't Botterill, the Buffalo GM that built a mediocre Buffalo team full of top picks; and if so - Pass.  

Would prefer, a candidate from: Tampa, Detroit or Colorado.  

There's still people in Carolina who would be familiar with Rutherford.  Darren Yorke would be my preference.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Jason Botterill sucks doesn't he? 

All I know is he was the GM in Buffalo a while back?

Luckily the rumour comes from Drance.

I would hope Rutherford does a more extensive search than just calling up his old assistant GM and giving him a job.

To me that would be a red flag that Rutherford wants to be more hands on with trades and signings.

• Cheers 3

Not sure why some people are angry at this. 

He fits the bill perfectly as the President. Vastly experienced, has won championships in both organizations he's been part of. From all reports so far by hockey analysts, he thinks the game young despite his age...

There's no reason he can't go 3 for 3, especially since he's supposedly been waiting for the chance to work for a Canadian team.

I'm sure the fact that the Canucks haven't ever won a cup either also drives him more.

Key thing is that he's the President, which is kind of the guardian of all hockey operations. Mostly just a mentor to the other execs and a buffer to ownership.

Not really an instigator of team transactions. 

However, I will be very interested to see who is put as the GM (with Rutherford's input) which is certainly the most crucial position that either makes or breaks it for this team for years to come. 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Wasn't Botterill, the Buffalo GM that built a mediocre Buffalo team full of top picks; and if so - Pass.  

Would prefer, a candidate from: Tampa, Detroit or Colorado.  

Someone with a history of WINNING  would nice. 
An ex Buffalo gm for three years doesn’t sound very good. 
Buffalo  is our expansion brother we should leave their exs alone.