The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This is great news!

This gives us a more calming and respectable front office look already. I’m still hoping and expecting us to hire Scott Mellanby as GM. Makes a lot of sense to me and it would be exciting to see what he could so with the team.

I was not against having Benning here (changed my mind in just the last two weeks I guess), but always hearing the same message year after year and seeing us in the same spot eventually got boring to watch. It didnt sound convincing enough to me in the end.

btw, both Benning and Gillis disappeared from the media and were seldom available for interviews during the last 1 1/2 years before the were removed by the team. Like both got bored of that part of their jobs. That was kinda sad. I get that it isnt always fun as the media always try to trick you knto saying something they want to hear. But carving out time to being properly available for 15-20 mins once or twice per month shouldn’t be too much to ask given your position. That has always bothered me with both of them.

I’m pretty sure both would have been liked a lot more by the fans had they been more vocal at times and given just a bit more info naturally in advance about things without being specifically asked about it in a presser.

28 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I knew you were going to ask that....LOL. So, here is the info and example directly from the CBA. Short answer is that it will essentially depend on how much salary you have coming off the books in the season the contract comes into play. I think we will be able to sign him to an extension unless we decide to go in another direction. I agree with wanting to keep him.

A Club shall only be permitted to sign a Player to an "extension" of the existing SPC in the amount of: (A) the SPC of the Player to be extended (then included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); plus (B) the Club's Payroll Room in the current year; plus (C) the aggregate Averaged Amounts of any other SPC or SPCs that expire at the end of such League Year (to extent the Club has other such SPCs which are currently counting in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); minus any previously Tagged Payroll Room. The Tagging Rule referred to in paragraph (e)(iv)(C) above will thereafter apply.

Illustration #1: A Club, during the 2012-13 League Year, has $1.5 million of Payroll Room, and it has $4 million in Averaged Amount of SPCs scheduled to expire at the end of the 2012-13 League Year, including the $1 million Averaged Amount of Player B's SPC. The Club shall be deemed to have $5.5 million of Tagged Payroll Room and may "extend" Player B's SPC during the 2012-13 League Year with Player Salary and Bonuses of up to an Averaged Amount of $5.5 million.

Thanks again 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, combover said:

Friedman was on tim and friends 

just said he was told he could be surprised by who JR chooses as gm. Lead to believe it’s someone who hasn’t held the GM position before. 

That would be nice.

I would like Johnson Or someone like him. Younger up and comer.

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think this is what is concerning, as this team doesn't quite need a shake up but rather important long-term signings to guys like Bo, Miller, and Brock (and then Petey), as well as some shrewd moves to add a couple of small but important pieces to the bottom forwards and D. I don't think we're as far off as most think we are. Picture the bubble team coached by Boudreau, Shaw, and Walker. 

This team does not have all the personnel to win a stanley cup, we will need to make trades along the way. We are bottom 10 in the league, while a lot of that can be blamed on coaching, not all of it can be. This roster is due for a shake up, probably moving a forward like Miller for a good young Dman. 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jim Rutherford stats:

Hartford/Carolina:

Seasons as President/GM: 19

Winning seasons: 10

Playoff seasons: 5

Stanley Cup finals: 2

Stanley Cups: 1

His time in Hartford/Carolina was pretty average other than 2 great seasons.  He only made the playoffs 5 times in 19 years.  

Pittsburgh:

Seasons as GM: 6

Winning seasons: 6

Playoff seasons: 5

Stanley Cup finals: 2

Stanley Cups: 2

He obviously had much more success in his shorter time in Pittsburgh with a stacked team.  Prior to him taking over in Pittsburgh they had already won a Cup and made the playoffs 8 consecutive seasons.  Interesting he won the 2 Cups in Pittsburgh with Mike Sullivan as coach, who was an assistant coach under Willie D in Vancouver.  

Let's see what he can do in Vancouver.  Is he going to make moves right away or simply wait until the new GM arrives and let him do all the dirty work?  Is Jim just going to be more of an adviser?  We will see...

I like his resume 

5 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

They went 49-25-5-3, 51-25-3-3, 36-12 and 51-24-4-3 the 4 years before he was hired.  

And how many Cups did they win?

You realize 4 out of the top 7 scorers on that 2016 Penguins team that won the Cup were acquired by GMJR right?  All in a span of 2 years.  Oh, not to mention Kessel (who was acquired by GMJR) led the entire team in scoring (yes, more than Sid or Malkin).

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This team does not have all the personnel to win a stanley cup, we will need to make trades along the way. We are bottom 10 in the league, while a lot of that can be blamed on coaching, not all of it can be. This roster is due for a shake up, probably moving a forward like Miller for a good young Dman. 

It really bugs me to hear folks say Miller has to be traded for whatever. Miller is the heart and soul and most productive member of this team. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, combover said:

Friedman was on tim and friends 

just said he was told he could be surprised by who JR chooses as gm. Lead to believe it’s someone who hasn’t held the GM position before. 

FINALLY they look at my resume.  Don't worry guys, I got this.  Lemme know who you want traded and stuff.  K, thanks, chat soon.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Pbhatti00 said:

Glad it's just as interim GM. Need someone younger to be GM'ing 

Rutherford is great and I disagree, we need an experienced GM. No more newbies, am tired of the experiments and we have done that this last decade and half from Nonis to Gillis to Benning. Bring someone that has won a cup for a change.

Just now, fanofvan said:

I was just hoping for something new and fresh after Benning was let go and am concerned Rutherford is going to start throwing away 1st rounders (he traded all but 1 in his time in Pitts).

I could be wrong but I don’t think he’ll be making moves right away. We need to play some games still and look at where guys are at with Bruce and his system. We are not in the best position to get the max return for anybody on the roster yet so no point moving players. And as we are so close to the cap we’ll need to move a significant contract if we move a pick.
And likely he’ll focus on the GM search first and after that it’ll be the new GM making the trades.

I for one am not worried anymore. My worries moved on with Jim and Travis. The olny way is up for us now. The only way down from where we are is if we forget to pay taxes or arena bills.