The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, 13231 said:

All the trade discussion here sounds baseless and premature right now. What the quotes from the organization and common sense suggests is that the team will be evaluated carefully now, as to where it clearly stands under the new coaching staff. Everything will be determined from that point forward. Up until the Olympic break would be the timeline I assume. 

While I agree, nothing seismic is likely to happen any time soon, Is there something bad about discussing potential/likely moves for 2-3+months down the road? I think it's pretty plain to see that one of Miller, Boeser, or long shot, Horvat are the most likely pieces that management would look to move at some point over the next +/- year to solve the Forward/Defense imbalance. Nothing wrong with people discussing it on a discussion board.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's his qualifying offer price. All you're saying here is that you think Boeser will be resigned.

I've come to realize that like half this board has zero idea how QO's work or what they mean :lol:

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He has a 3 year deal. He will be going for a cup next year. Rathbone gone , this year's firsts and seconds gone.

Pittsburgh had one first rounder in 7 years. He made 59 trades in 5 years. That's a trade a month 

Did you even listen to what the man himself said yesterday?

He said it’s a different situation here than it was in Pittsburgh and that they aren’t looking to trade futures, they want to build with futures.

I have never seen someone so obsessed with completely ignoring any context to go full on panic mode about something that hasn’t even happened yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He is a win now kind of guy if he has what it takes to win. He doesn't have the cap space to sign Boeser to a big increase and then build a defense.

I bet he looks at this team and decides that they are a few years away.

He's gonna move Petey.

Some team will bite on his potential and load up a nice package. This team is still flawed in my opinion., It's been fun for a couple games but we are well short on players.

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

He's gonna move Petey.

Some team will bite on his potential and load up a nice package. This team is still flawed in my opinion., It's been fun for a couple games but we are well short on players.

Depending on the return, I think I'd be okay with that. Petey seems like a bit of a headcase. It's not just that he's in a bad slump. It's his demeanor. He always looks like he's morbidly depressed. I just don't see how we're supposed to build around a guy that's that emotionally fragile.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yeah and in hockey , these guys lie like politicians. Remember a week ago , reports surfaced that "the Canucks were NOT interested in Jimmy Rutherford" ? Well Aqualini was most likely sitting in Rutherfords home when those reports came out. I made the mistake of believing them. It was the exact opposite of the truth.

I'll bet anyone $50 via Interac Email transfer that our 1st round pick will be gone in 6 months.  Maybe if i reverse jinx this enough , it won't happen.

What reports surfaced?

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Like you with the OEL trade...?

tenor.gif?ctx=share

At least I waited until there was actual evidence that something COULD happen there before giving my opinion it was a bad idea to trade for that long term cap hell.

Not like this guy who literally wigged out 2 min after Rutherford was hired and in spite of what the guy himself said about how he was approaching things here. 

Talking about what might happen is fine. Suggesting it undoubtedly will happen with no actual smoke to the flame is just unhinged.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Potential candidates for the Vancouver Canucks GM position

John Shannon: Whoever the Vancouver Canucks hire as their next GM, things will run through Jim Rutherford.

Any Canucks list of potential candidates will include Jason Karmanos.

Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal of The Athletic: A big list of potential GM candidates in no order:

Jason Botterill, Stan Smyl, Mike Gillis, Laurence Gilman, Hayley Wickenheiser, Marc Bergevin, Scott Mellanby, Eustance King, Chris MacFarland, Ryan Johnson, Henrik and Daniel Sedin, J.P. Barry, Josh Flynn, Mike Futa, Ray Ferraro, Craig Conroy, Ross Mahoney, John Ferguson Jr., Kevin Weeks, Alexandrea Mandrycky, and John Chayka

I am shocked to see such names like Chayka and Botterill on this list. Both did serious damage to their franchises - the Arizona coyotes and buffalo sabres.Interesting to see a woman on this list with Hayley. For those who want to see the Canucks becoming more diverse hiring Hayley would be great.

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Did you even listen to what the man himself said yesterday?

He said it’s a different situation here than it was in Pittsburgh and that they aren’t looking to trade futures, they want to build with futures.

I have never seen someone so obsessed with completely ignoring any context to go full on panic mode about something that hasn’t even happened yet.

I missed that - what media was he on?

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Potential candidates for the Vancouver Canucks GM position

John Shannon: Whoever the Vancouver Canucks hire as their next GM, things will run through Jim Rutherford.

Any Canucks list of potential candidates will include Jason Karmanos.

Thomas Drance and Harman Dayal of The Athletic: A big list of potential GM candidates in no order:

Jason Botterill, Stan Smyl, Mike Gillis, Laurence Gilman, Hayley Wickenheiser, Marc Bergevin, Scott Mellanby, Eustance King, Chris MacFarland, Ryan Johnson, Henrik and Daniel Sedin, J.P. Barry, Josh Flynn, Mike Futa, Ray Ferraro, Craig Conroy, Ross Mahoney, John Ferguson Jr., Kevin Weeks, Alexandrea Mandrycky, and John Chayka

I am shocked to see such names like Chayka and Botterill on this list. Both did serious damage to their franchises - the Arizona coyotes and buffalo sabres.Interesting to see a woman on this list with Hayley. For those who want to see the Canucks becoming more diverse hiring Hayley would be great.

John Ferguson Jr. How is he still in hockey ? That would truly be the nightmare scenario  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I agree, nothing seismic is likely to happen any time soon, Is there something bad about discussing potential/likely moves for 2-3+months down the road? I think it's pretty plain to see that one of Miller, Boeser, or long shot, Horvat are the most likely pieces that management would look to move at some point over the next +/- year to solve the Forward/Defense imbalance. Nothing wrong with people discussing it on a discussion board.

I've come to realize that like half this board has zero idea how QO's work or what they mean :lol:

I would suspect the process would be to see what Boeser's camp wants to do, and if its not reasonable or do-able for some reason then they'd look to move him before long. If a team friendly (or at least not crushing) extension is possible then its Miller. Can't see Bo being on the block, he's just too valuable and reliable. 

Cap-wise our hands are tied through next season anyway so its going to take time to construct any kind of deal to move players in, unless its Miller for picks which seems less likely to me. 

But who knows. Lets see where we are by the Olympic break. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, combover said:

They just named everyone they could think of lol. 
Like a weatherman this time of year  predicting sun cloud rain snow wind in Vancouver. They saying bailed it when one happens lol. 
those guys (drance and friends) are worthless. 

Pretty much.

Wickenheiser would be an interesting choice for a few reasons. Smart (she's a doctor), knows how to win, has had to work hard to get what she's earned, so I like all of that. Having JR as a mentor and guys like Gear to assist with contracts would set her up well in the job. 

• Wat 1