The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely, but in any organisation you'll see folks surrounding themselves with people they trust... and why not? 
I haven't got a clue, who the best candidate is, and hopefully JR picks the right person but only time will tell...

I'm 100% sure though, that if JR doesn't believe Allvin is up to the task, then he'll choose somebody else. 

Aquilini took in one of the most respected folks in the business to build us a winner... Maybe we should trust his judgement and let him get on with it. 

There’s also the trap of trying to recreate success you had in the past.

JR believing it worked in Pittsburgh so it has to work here is not the approach I wanna see this organization take.

We need to forge our own identity, not just make a carbon copy of someone else’s.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

There’s also the trap of trying to recreate success you had in the past.

JR believing it worked in Pittsburgh so it has to work here is not the approach I wanna see this organization take.

We need to forge our own identity, not just make a carbon copy of someone else’s.

Yes there is a lot of trap and but etc... 

But if you invented the deep plate, why not use it...? 

You can also easily end up in the trap of out smarting yourself...

Whats the point of hiring JR, if you don't want him to follow his beliefs, especially since they've been successful before...

If you got a baker good at making certain bread, you hardly ask him to drop it and do it differently... times move and I'm sure folk move along and change, but if the foundation has been a successful one, I'd be astonished if its not replicated to a certain extend...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Carolina has 10 prospects playing in the world juniors despite being a top team and picking later. Canucks have 1…Let that sink in.

We need to be poaching Carolina for managers.

That's what happens when you actually stockpile picks rather than trade them away. More times at bat to hit on those players.

2021 - 13 picks

2020 - 8 picks

2019 - 12 picks

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Carolina has 10 prospects playing in the world juniors despite being a top team and picking later. Canucks have 1…Let that sink in.

We need to be poaching Carolina for managers.

That's nuts, sounds like we should be poaching them for more than just managers. Imagine having a competitive roster and a prospect pool that isn't shallow. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

That's what happens when you actually stockpile picks rather than trade them away. More times at bat to hit on those players.

2021 - 13 picks

2020 - 8 picks

2019 - 12 picks

Def, trading away so many picks definitely hasn't helped our prospect pool.

The Miller trade was full value, I didn't mind the OEL/Garland trade either, but there's no denying the impact of those trades on our prospect pool. We're not at a stage where we should be moving out top picks and I'm glad Rutherford recognizes that. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, DSVII said:

2021 - 13 picks

2020 - 8 picks

2019 - 12 picks

I would expect Carolina to cash some of those in over the next few seasons to make TDL deals. But yeah, thats kind of drool worthy. 

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, DSVII said:

2021 - 13 picks

2020 - 8 picks

2019 - 12 picks

We had a whole crop of players graduate to the main team the last few years. This idea that we are one of the worst in the league for trading away picks is bullcrap. The worst in the league is the Penguins. Who have ONE first round pick in 6 years. 

Trading picks for vets once every couple years isn't a bad idea. If not you turn into the 2013 Oilers 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We had a whole crop of players graduate to the main team the last few years. This idea that we are one of the worst in the league for trading away picks is bullcrap. The worst in the league is the Penguins. Who have ONE first round pick in 6 years. 

And two Cups.  I find Carolina surprising actually.  That as a top team they still have a crapload of picks.  Usually team that are in the Cup chase trade picks for immediate help in hopes of winning, like the Pens.  But the Canes seem to compete and collect picks too.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And two Cups.  I find Carolina surprising actually.  That as a top team they still have a crapload of picks.  Usually team that are in the Cup chase trade picks for immediate help in hopes of winning, like the Pens.  But the Canes seem to compete and collect picks too.  

They are a mostly a cap floor team so they need the picks to keep players staying in Carolina for a while. They love taking in bad contracts for picks. 

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Trading picks for vets once every couple years isn't a bad idea. If not you turn into the 2013 Oilers 

They won back to back cups. Pretty sure that buys them a little bit of leeway on their prospect pool and trading picks.

The Canucks have been bottom feeders for 8 years and still traded a bunch of picks over that time frame.  

Which do you think produced a better return on traded picks? 

Before you say but Miller, OEL, Garland, how about the team wins something before we judge how great Benning trading high 1st rounders was. 

The funny thing is, the Penguins minor league system is not that much more barren than the Canucks is. 

If the 3 rumoured persons are true for new Canucks GM, I would prefer us give the job to MacFarland. Seems like a solid candidate who could step into a GM role and succeed, he will have Rutherford to work with and absorb as much as he can from him while he is the President...Decades of knowledge Grandpa Jim has to offer!

On 12/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Coconuts said:

That's nuts, sounds like we should be poaching them for more than just managers. Imagine having a competitive roster and a prospect pool that isn't shallow. 

One can dream. Why can’t we have nice things?

42 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If the 3 rumoured persons are true for new Canucks GM, I would prefer us give the job to MacFarland. Seems like a solid candidate who could step into a GM role and succeed, he will have Rutherford to work with and absorb as much as he can from him while he is the President...Decades of knowledge Grandpa Jim has to offer!

Is McFarland connected to the Canucks? 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:28 PM, Alflives said:

Imagine doing that eh. 

I thought with Benning at the helm, he would have gotten us to where Carolina is today. Competitive team, ready to compete for championships, while having a great prospects pool as well. 

Fast forward 8 years, and we’re a middling, if not last placed team (or near the bottom), no where near competing for championships, while at the same time our prospects pool is bare-ly there. 

• Cheers 2