The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lob or aerial offence.

Rate this topic

danjr

Don't know how many of you have been paying attention to the new system/style of play.  It is a thing of beauty.

The Aerial pass is amazing.  Lots of creative players use it for getting a breaking pass to the player when other options don't work.
Adapting it for a playing style has been something I have talked about with my friends for a while.
It is almost the best offensive system.  There are so many advantages.

#1 you force the D-men to back in way earlier.
#2 They have to look up to see where the puck is going.
#3 with the new rules they can't obstruct players rushing in.

#4 forces the D to turn earlier to see where the pucks is going to bounce to.
#5 any player can lob it in, a forward rushing up ice, or a D-man way behind the play.
The best advantages follow

#6 gives the players way more time to retrieve it, rather than dump and chase where it's usually slapped in.
#7 bounces.  You can't predict where the puck will bounce.  The d-man has to look for this puck, when all his career he's been told to watch the man.  The advantage goes to the skater, he can scan for the puck going forward, but the d-man has to watch the man or the puck, not both.

#8 which no one has used yet, is dropping it into the no-go-zone.  This takes the goalie out of making a play on the puck, especially those goalies who are such good puck handlers like Mike Smith.

Disadvantages.
A. You give up the puck

B. You don't know exactly where it is going to go.
C. intense puck battles to retrieve it more often.
D. dangerous pass on occasion.

E. outmanned on occasion

This system/style of play is a long time in coming.  I am so curious why no one has implemented it as of yet.  Teams with amazing speed would do well with it.  Oilers with McDavid (me being in Alberta wonders daily, why don't they let him loose.  This system in my opinion has more advantages when used properly than most other systems.  Though I am not a coach.
Watching tonight's game versus Carolina showed me once again how good it is, when someone dumped a puck to the blue line.  The D-man failed to knocked it down in front of him.  Podz grabbed it and almost walked in.  It's plays like that show how good talented team could take advantage of those bounces.

Let me know your observations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, danjr said:

Don't know how many of you have been paying attention to the new system/style of play.  It is a thing of beauty.

The Aerial pass is amazing.  Lots of creative players use it for getting a breaking pass to the player when other options don't work.
Adapting it for a playing style has been something I have talked about with my friends for a while.

#5 any player can lob it in, a forward rushing up ice, or a D-man way behind the play.

#6 gives the players way more time to retrieve it, rather than dump and chase where it's usually slapped in.
#7 bounces.  You can't predict where the puck will bounce.  The d-man has to look for this puck, when all his career he's been told to watch the man.  The advantage goes to the skater, he can scan for the puck going forward, but the d-man has to watch the man or the puck, not both.

#8 which no one has used yet, is dropping it into the no-go-zone.  This takes the goalie out of making a play on the puck, especially those goalies who are such good puck handlers like Mike Smith.

Disadvantages.
A. You give up the puck

E. outmanned on occasion

This system/style of play is a long time in coming.  I am so curious why no one has implemented it as of yet.  Teams with amazing speed would do well with it.  Oilers with McDavid (me being in Alberta wonders daily, why don't they let him loose.  This system in my opinion has more advantages when used properly than most other systems.  Though I am not a coach.
Watching tonight's game versus Carolina showed me once again how good it is, when someone dumped a puck to the blue line.  The D-man failed to knocked it down in front of him.  Podz grabbed it and almost walked in.  It's plays like that show how good talented team could take advantage of those bounces.

Noticed it too and it seems, to help the D with the exit.  I've always, wondered why the team under Green, didn't utilize it - but I understand.

• Haha 2

The Caps used it to beat the Golden Knights in the final. It was the one play that really broke the Knights pressure. 
The Knights then adapted it into their system and used it to kill us in our passive defensive system in the bubble. 
Nice to see it get used but is a bit riskier now than in the 70s because of the delay of game penalty for puck over the boards. 

I love it, it was no secret under Green/Baumer that all you had to do was pressure the D and they would cough it up the half-wall or straight up lose the puck battle down low.

Like Jockitch says re:forechecking pressure, it makes the opponent play more passive, while the flip isn't used every play, like football....it's established early so that the opponent has to respect the fact the ice might be stretched out with an aerial pass, thus creating a normal team breakout with more d zone/neutral zone space.

Boudreau is a hockey guy, love the addition.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, danjr said:

Disadvantages.
A. You give up the puck

E. outmanned on occasion

BB must be driving those who hate dump and chase hockey crazy.  They're doing it far more under him that they did under Green

7 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I love it, it was no secret under Green/Baumer that all you had to do was pressure the D and they would cough it up the half-wall or straight up lose the puck battle down low.

Like Jockitch says re:forechecking pressure, it makes the opponent play more passive, while the flip isn't used every play, like football....it's established early so that the opponent has to respect the fact the ice might be stretched out with an aerial pass, thus creating a normal team breakout with more d zone/neutral zone space.

Boudreau is a hockey guy, love the addition.

I definitely think this is a team that can change the style up like WCE.
The more weapons in your bag, the better you can control play.  
Exactly like you say, if a team pushes hard on a forecheck and you lob it over the heads of their two forwards, 3 on 2's all night long.
Especially with a player as clever as Quinn, who can absorb those forwards pushing him back, to over extend them even further than they should.  Quinn launches a quick lob, now there is very poor back pressure as our forwards are moving up.

Can't wait to see more of this.  Loved how one puck was played into a corner late in the game via lob.  The D man bobbled it in the corner and Brock just pounced on him and created a play.

17 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

This is a Scotty Bowman play from the Canadiens dynasty years of the 1970s. Was the 70s/80s version of the stretch pass.  Saw it hundreds of times -- Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Bill Nyrop, Brian Engblom, Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, et. al. made this play with aplomb.  It's a play that's employed when there are limited options of getting the puck out of your zone.  For this to be effective, team needs the hawks to hunt the pucks down -- Habs had Lafleur, Cournoyer, Jarvis, Risebrough, Tremblay, Napier, Lemaire, Shutt, et. al.

What's old is new again.  Except there is now the benefit of two line passes, which was considered an off-side back in the 70s and 80s.

Yea the two line offside play sure slowed the game down.  I think that was one of the best ever rule changes.  It sure creates a lot more open ice.
Back then I just watched hockey, I did not pay attention to strategies.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

Get tuch!

47 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Would love Tuch but he was the main return for their franchise player Jack Eichel along with super prospect Peyton Krebs.

Think Buff wants him to get healthy and see what they have before moving him on too soon.

Tuch was targeted by Buffalo, because he grew up in the area, and was a fan of the Sabres in his childhood. Management wanted a talented young player who would be proud to play in Buffalo - they're trying to change the culture in the room. Doubt they'd give him up for anything less than a significant overpayment.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EliasSkywalker said:

Jyrki Lumme of the Canucks was a master of the aerial pass for getting the puck out of trouble in his own zone when the wingers were covered or weren't open.  A good strategy with players like Pavel Bure and the Courtnalls.

I loved Jyrki Lumme.  For a long long time I considered him my Fav D-man in Nucks history

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I love this analysis, so thank you for this. I've always liked it as an option, but to read that it works in many ways is something I've never heard before. Kudos.

It's a great addition to the toolbox to clear the puck out. I mean, it's not like a team will ever catch it and skate back in and score on the rush in only a few seconds, so there's really no risk involved (aside from a delay of game penalty). I'm sure loving BB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EliasSkywalker said:

Jyrki Lumme of the Canucks was a master of the aerial pass for getting the puck out of trouble in his own zone when the wingers were covered or weren't open.  A good strategy with players like Pavel Bure and the Courtnalls.

I had to go down a lot more posts then i thought i'd had to to find this - was going to add the exact same thing.  Lumme was the all-time master at the long lob.   Used it all the time in the PK too.  Probably shaved off 20 minutes or 10 full power plays during his tenure with us, just by taking the puck, and making a perfect long and slow and high lob up the ice.    Having Bure on the ice too made it a dangerous combo for sure .... he'd anticipate it sometimes seeing the puck go into Lumme's space and get a head start .... not that he needed one.   To me it's one of the most memorable things about Lummes game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, danjr said:

I loved Jyrki Lumme.  For a long long time I considered him my Fav D-man in Nucks history

He's up there for sure.   Was a gem.   Had good size too...and wasn't afraid to use it.   Think Edler isn't a bad comp in today's game without the same number of gaffes,  Lumme played a safer smarter game.   Got his points too.  Probably our best two-way defenseman ever.    At the same time, believe if Ohlund never suffered that eye injury, he'd be the top of that pile.   Sure wish we had anyone on the team that could crunch guys like he did/could right now.   Jovo could be an adventure in his zone but had the "IT" factor a lot of D's don't.   With Lumme and Jovo, and for a very brief time Brown, we're the closest things we've ever had to a true number one - all situations defenseman.    Quin Hughes is going to change all of that.  Reinhardt didn't kill penalties.   But he was awfully good at what he did too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:59 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

This is a Scotty Bowman play from the Canadiens dynasty years of the 1970s. Was the 70s/80s version of the stretch pass.  Saw it hundreds of times -- Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Bill Nyrop, Brian Engblom, Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, et. al. made this play with aplomb.  It's a play that's employed when there are limited options of getting the puck out of your zone.  For this to be effective, team needs the hawks to hunt the pucks down -- Habs had Lafleur, Cournoyer, Jarvis, Risebrough, Tremblay, Napier, Lemaire, Shutt, et. al.

What's old is new again.  Except there is now the benefit of two line passes, which was considered an off-side back in the 70s and 80s.

I think the first time I saw this was JC Tremblay. He liked to flip the puck from his side of the blue line onto the opposing goal tender. If the puck dropped in front of the tender he had no real idea how it would bounce. If he stopped the shot there was still an opportunity for a loose puck. JC scored more than once with that play.