The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Depends.

If we can get another 1st and a 2nd in a Boeser and Schenn trade to balance it out it could be the best of both worlds.

We need to start developing a D partner for Hughes, and at 25 Chychrun is young enough to fit the timeline. 

If they’re not going full rebuild then a move like this is probably what they’ll look to do. They’re not waiting 5 or 6 years to develop a D man.

So you are saying we need Chychrun because we win the cup with him. We are near the bottom of the league right now. Quick fixes are what got us into this mess.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree.

We would likely get a worse D man than Hughes. And it doesn’t really improve our D at best it’s a lateral move.

The center is what we’ll be looking for in the upcoming draft. That’s not a piece we should be giving up a franchise D man for.

And the first will be a late one. High odds it will be a role player if they even make the NHL.

If trading away a QH you best have an Owen Power in your back pocket or coming from somewhere else.

especially when it comes to what this franchise has glaringly needed.

arguably one of, if not soon to be, the best Dmen we’ve ever had. 

im not sure Huggy could be replaced by committee and I’d hate to experiment and find out.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

So you are saying we need Chychrun because we win the cup with him. We are near the bottom of the league right now. Quick fixes are what got us into this mess.

No trading for and signing 29 year olds is what got us in this mess.

At 25 Chychrun will still be in his prime along with Huggy when they’re done retooling.

You build around him and Hughes while using those extra picks to draft D men long term.

The only way we’re getting D men is to trade for them, overpay in free agency, or wait 5 or 6 years for them to develop. Two of those are not options. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At 25 Chychrun will still be in his prime along with Huggy when they’re done retooling.

You build around him and Hughes while using those extra picks to draft D men long term.

The only way we’re getting D men is to trade for them, overpay in free agency, or wait 5 or 6 years for them to develop. Two of those are not options. 

Will Chychrun resign in Vancouver? 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Draft and Develop! Create cap space and take advantage of others. 
Steve Yzerman school 101.

The team selling Chychrun is at the bottom of the league like us. Get it!

1 minute ago, wildwood12 said:

Draft and Develop! Create cap space and take advantage of others. 
Steve Yzerman school 101.

The team selling Chychrun is at the bottom of the league like us. Get it!

That would be involved in a full rebuild yes.

We’re not rebuilding when we have franchise players in Pettersson and Hughes.

They’ll look to build around these two, so the timeline will need to be shortened. Pick up extra 2nds where we can and draft D men for the long term. Our extra 1st will most certainly be in play though.

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Care to explain this @mll?

:lol:

At least it's not Byfield.  Surprised they would give up on Clarke but they do have quite a bit of depth on RD.  Wonder if they are dumping Petersen as part of the deal and trying to get Vejmelka too.  

Calgary and Boston apparently in the mix.  Their top prospects were all picked in 2021 - Coronato 13th overall, Lysell picked 21st and Clarke was picked 8th.  Kind of forces LA to give up Clarke to beat Calgary, no?  

Watching Clarke at the World Juniors, he's very far from NHL-ready. Sloppy defensively, all over the place offensively, not what you want to see. Meanwhile Nemec and Jiricek looked like big, strong, solid NHLers. He's been bounced around a lot this year (I think he's played in the OHL, AHL, NHL and WJC all in one season) but he needs some proper time in the AHL to develop properly. I guess if he goes to Arizona he'll end up in their top-4 lol.

Smart move by LA though, this is one way to speed up the rebuild.

As good as they've been, their defencemen are far from great. Bunch of good, solid guys playing really well as a team but they lack a true star (don't think Doughty counts anymore), and they must be the only team in the league with more RDs than LDs. Chychrun goes right into their number 1 slot on the left side.

Trade-wise I think it'll go something like Clarke + 1st + player (Arvidsson or Iaffalo for cap reasons) + something else (another prospect or young player like Lemieux or a 2nd-3rd pick)

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would be involved in a full rebuild yes.

We’re not rebuilding when we have franchise players in Pettersson and Hughes.

They’ll look to build around these two, so the timeline will need to be shortened. Pick up extra 2nds where we can and draft D men for the long term. Our extra 1st will most certainly be in play though.

Steve Yzerman is in same position as Canucks. He has Larkin and Seider.

He doesn’t look for quick fixes. Draft and Develop.

2 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Steve Yzerman is in same position as Canucks. He has Larkin and Seider.

He doesn’t look for quick fixes. Draft and Develop.

At some point he will need to make trades to fill in holes just like every other team.

No team builds completely through the draft. When an opportunity to acquire young D men comes up you look at it.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

At some point he will need to make trades to fill in holes just like every other team.

No team builds completely through the draft. When an opportunity to acquire young D men comes up you look at it.

I just hope that Alvin and Rutherford did not go to the school of Jim Benning 101.

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

So LA is trading Brandt Clarke.  I thought he was untouchable.  Sometimes GM's get desperate in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Makes sense for LA as Chychrun speeds up their rebuild and is still only 24.  LA also have lots of other RHD.  

I'm thinking it's Brandt Clarke, 2023 1st round pick and a roster player, maybe Cal Petersen as a cap dump.  If it's Petersen I can see another pick included...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

14 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

I just hope that Alvin and Rutherford did not go to the school of Jim Benning 101.

Hopefully not.

You still need to target the right players. Benning valued guys like Gudbranson which was obviously foolish.

If the right D man comes along you absolutely make those trades though.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So LA is trading Brandt Clarke.  I thought he was untouchable.  Sometimes GM's get desperate in pursuit of the Stanley Cup...

That's a smart trade.  Clarke really hasn't shown any sign that he has much chance of ever figuring it out in his own zone.  He's extremely likely to bust, while Chychrun has a great contract and fits in well with their current group.