The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

John Weisbrod came up through the ranks in the Eastern United States to play in the big leagues.  His manager career took him back through Eastern hockey, into the AHL and eventually into the NHL.  This whole notion that nobody knows what he did was propagated by ...  well lazy people, to put it mildly.  

Todd Harvey was hired to overlook amateur scouting and he has replaced Judd Brackett directly.  

So just to wrap this back around to you and @WHL rocks, I think that our new hire won't be replacing anyone directly but will rather be heading only the pro scouting department.  IF we fire Todd Harvey, then we can look at who will be heading the amateur scouting, but for now the roles should be clearly defined.  

Clancey - pro scouting 

Todd Harvey - amateur scouting 

All reporting to the GM to be named. 

From the press release on Weisbrod's promotion to AGM:  

Weisbrod first joined the Canucks as Vice President, Player Personnel on July 7, 2014. As Assistant General Manager, he will work closely with Jim Benning and Trevor Linden on player personnel decisions, provide strategic direction to the professional and amateur scouting departments and support day-to-day team operations.

On Brackett's promotion:  

Judd Bracket served seven years as an Amateur Scout in the Canucks organization prior to being named Director of Amateur Scouting. Brackett will oversee the Amateur Scouting staff, leading the department and supporting the player evaluations of regional scouts. Brackett will report to John Weisbrod in his new role.

Now Clancey's - sounds like Harvey will be reporting to him just like Brackett reported to Weisbrod:  

Derek Clancey, 52, joins the Canucks after working most of his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins between 2007 and 2021. As Assistant GM, Clancey will work closely with Rutherford and will oversee the Canucks professional and amateur scouting staffs.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

From the press release on Weisbrod's promotion to AGM:  

Weisbrod first joined the Canucks as Vice President, Player Personnel on July 7, 2014. As Assistant General Manager, he will work closely with Jim Benning and Trevor Linden on player personnel decisions, provide strategic direction to the professional and amateur scouting departments and support day-to-day team operations.

On Brackett's promotion:  

Judd Bracket served seven years as an Amateur Scout in the Canucks organization prior to being named Director of Amateur Scouting. Brackett will oversee the Amateur Scouting staff, leading the department and supporting the player evaluations of regional scouts. Brackett will report to John Weisbrod in his new role.

Now Clancey's - sounds like Harvey will be reporting to him just like Brackett reported to Weisbrod:  

Derek Clancey, 52, joins the Canucks after working most of his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins between 2007 and 2021. As Assistant GM, Clancey will work closely with Rutherford and will oversee the Canucks professional and amateur scouting staffs.

Oh i missed the "amateur" part of Clancey's role.  

Honestly this is not good news then.  There is no logical reason to look at the Penguins last decade of drafting and try to replicate it.  

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly this is not good news then.  There is no logical reason to look at the Penguins last decade of drafting and try to replicate it.  

Drafting is not a one man's work though.

Scouts will bring in their assessments and they will make decisions based on that.

If you have good scouts looking for the right traits, then reaching the right conclusion should be easier (in theory anyways).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Before today I am willing to bet good money none of you even knew who this guy was. Now it’s bad news that he is hired? How about we don’t assume Rutherford will manage (using the term loosely) the way Benning and Weisbrod did. 

Rutherford has already said he isn’t here to replicate anything. He is here to base his decisions on this team and where they are at in the cycle. So let’s give both men a bit of time before we suggest the sky is falling, ok?

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Karmanos was overseeing the amateur scouting staff in Pittsburgh from 2016/17 till his firing in October 2020.

Was Botterill before him - from his bio on the Penguins' website:  Oversaw the Penguins scouting and development staff that drafted, signed and developed many key contributors to the team's 2016 Stanley Cup title.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Karmanos was overseeing the amateur scouting staff in Pittsburgh from 2016/17 till his firing in October 2020.  

Was Botterill before him - from his bio on the Penguins' website:  Oversaw the Penguins scouting and development staff that drafted, signed and developed many key contributors to the team's 2016 Stanley Cup title.

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Before today I am willing to bet good money none of you even knew who this guy was. Now it’s bad news that he is hired? How about we don’t assume Rutherford will manage (using the term loosely) the way Benning and Weisbrod did. 

Rutherford has already said he isn’t here to replicate anything. He is here to base his decisions on this team and where they are at in the cycle. So let’s give both men a bit of time before we suggest the sky is falling, ok?

Who cares if we knew who he was, we have hard proof: ie. names that we can look at.  

They better not copy Pittsburgh's drafting here.  Not sure why Clancey's title includes amateur scouting then with us now. 

Regardless of how anyone feels about the hiring itself, it would have been unrealistic to assume that Rutherford alone was going to be able to take on the responsibilities of all four executives fired over the last couple of weeks. Hiring an experienced NHL executive to be Rutherford's right hand man while we look for our next general manager should hopefully allow us to operate normally and allow Rutherford the necessary amount of time to find and hire the right person for the job, even if we have to wait until the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 draft: 

1 #21 3.png Samuel Poulin (F)            
3 #74 3.png Nathan Légaré (F)            
5 #145 6.png Judd Caulfield (F)            
7 #203 2.png Valtteri Puustinen (F)            
7 #211 2.png Santeri Airola (D)

2018 draft: 

2 #53 3.png Calen Addison (D)            
2 #58 1.png Filip Hållander (F)            
5 #129 3.png Justin Almeida (F)            
6 #177 6.png Liam Gorman (F)

2017 draft: 

2 #51 3.png Zachary Lauzon (D)            
3 #93 6.png Clayton Phillips (D)            
5 #152 28.png Jan Drozg (F)            
5 #155 1.png Linus Ölund (F)            
6 #186 2.png Antti Palojärvi (D)            
7 #217 3.png Will Reilly (D)

2016 draft: 

2 #55 1.png Filip Gustavsson (G)            
2 #61 2.png Kasper Björkqvist (F)            
3 #77 3.png Connor Hall (D)            
4 #121 6.png Ryan Jones (D)            
5 #151 2.png Niclas Almari (D)            
6 #181 6.png Joe Masonius (D)

2015 draft: 

2 #46 32.png Daniel Sprong (F)            
5 #137 8.png Dominik Simon (F)            
6 #167 21.png Frederik Tiffels (F)            
7 #197 9.png Nikita Pavlychev (F)

2014 draft: 

1 #22 2.png Kasperi Kapanen (F)            
4 #113 6.png Sam Lafferty (F)            
5 #145 6.png Anthony Angello (F)            
6 #173 3.png Jaden Lindo (F)            
7 #203 6.png Jeff Taylor (D)

2013 draft: 

2 #44 3.png Tristan Jarry (G)            
3 #77 6.png Jake Guentzel (F)            
4 #119 6.png Ryan Segalla (D)            
6 #164 3.png Dane Birks (D)            
6 #179 3.png Blaine Byron (F)            
7 #209 3.png Troy Josephs (F)

2012 draft: 

1 #8 3.png Derrick Pouliot (D)            
1 #22 2.png Olli Määttä (D)            
2 #52 11.png Teodors Blugers (F)            
3 #81 1.png Oskar Sundqvist (F)            
3 #83 3.png Matt Murray (G)            
4 #92 3.png Matia Marcantuoni (F)            
4 #113 3.png Sean Maguire (G)            
5 #143 3.png Clark Seymour (D)            
6 #173 9.png Anton Zlobin (F)

There you have it, the last *8 drafts by the Penguins.  Judge for yourselves. 

*edit: 8 drafts, not 10 because the last two drafts are way too early to judge. None of the last two drafts have produced an NHL game yet. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wow, wow, wow....  

Let's keep Klancey out of our drafting.  Repeating the Pens drafting over the last 8 years would be a disaster.  

I'll be extremely disappointed if Rutherford keeps anyone out of the Pens' drafting.  

Pens were cup contenders almost every year last decade plus.. they traded away many 1st rounders..

It started with Hossa trade when Pens gave up a 1st for Hossa and Dupuis. Well before JR showed up in PIT

They made great trades too. Usually late 1sts but got very solid returns for those 1sts..

I think Kessel was a 2nd rounder and Leafs ate bunch of his cap.. Great trade .. 2 Cups.. 

Ya JR understands canucks are at a different cycle and he doesn't want to trade away 1sts. We shall see how his picks go.  

I'm really happy with the direction we ate taking.. JR and BB will lead a smart, intelligent and hard working group. We in good hands now.. 

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2019 draft: 

2018 draft: 

2017 draft: 

2016 draft: 

2015 draft: 

2014 draft: 

2013 draft: 

2012 draft: 

*edit: 8 drafts, not 10 because the last two drafts are way too early to judge. None of the last two drafts have produced an NHL game yet. 

That is pretty bad lol. But I want to know is it because the scouts in Pittsburgh is terrible or something else? I mean this Clancy dude will be using our scouting departments and our scouts and am sure he is not the only person that will decide who should be drafted. He will listen to our scouts and get inputs before deciding our draft list.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

So the new GM has to work with the crew we give him? That does seem kinda weird, but whatever.

Let's simplify it for easier understanding..

The GM will be part of the Crew that works for JR. 

Everyone works for JR. Hes the Bauss. He makes the decisions. GM AGM etc etc all work for JR...

So if Clancy just "oversees" the amateur and pro scouting dept. then he probably isnt the person that will necessarily be dictating our draft list. I assume scouts will work together to make the list and Harvey would be making the final calls on a consensus and he would just be reporting to Clancy. I think people need to chill, they didnt replace all our scouts and the head of scouting dept with pens scouts-_-

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I remember this being brought up when Rutherford was first hired, so I’m not too surprised with the news today (of another former Penguin being added to the Canucks staff).

Don’t be surprised if there’s more to come. 

You should know better than quoting those trolls. They are on the same level of Eklund.

47 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2019 draft: 

2018 draft: 

2017 draft: 

2016 draft: 

2015 draft: 

2014 draft: 

2013 draft: 

2012 draft: 

So back to the pre-Benning days. That list is so bad, we’re used to it. How does it compare to the Canucks’ drafting before Benning arrived?

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So back to the pre-Benning days. That list is so bad, we’re used to it. How does it compare to the Canucks’ drafting before Benning arrived?

Dont think so, we have only replaced Benning the GM and his Assistant GM weisbrod while letting Brackett go to Minny. Harvey took over Brackett's job from what I understand and we still have all our amateur scouting team in place as no one got fired from that team. So technically not a lot changes, we need to see who they hire as a GM. As of now, Clancy seems more of an assistant GM and not the head of scouting department. He only oversees day to day operation of both the Pro and amateur scouting. No big deal imo

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You know, for Rutherford, he may need the insight from people he knows, sometimes it is a person being honest and disagreeing, that may help Rutherford feel his opinion is right.

It is why I do not mind people disagreeing with me in a constructive way, it either gives me new info and I change my opinion, or I disagree and it solidifies my opinion. Maybe Clancy is not a yes man, maybe he challenges Rutherford in a constructive way.

IMO, I ask myself, how can I argue with a 3 cup champion? I mean it does hurt to have Sidney, but there were parts that were added.............let's see who the others are.

Well said, when it comes to having a discussion and I am the same.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Dont think so, we have only replaced Benning the GM and his Assistant GM weisbrod while letting Brackett go to Minny. Harvey took over Brackett's job from what I understand and we still have all our amateur scouting team in place as no one got fired from that team. So technically not a lot changes, we need to see who they hire as a GM. As of now, Clancy seems more of an assistant GM and not the head of scouting department. He only oversees day to day operation of both the Pro and amateur scouting. No big deal imo

Heard that JR wants to bring on 3 AGM’s. Is that for real?? 

I’d be curious as to who the GM is going to be. I hope it’s not Botterill. He didn’t have a good run at Buffalo…

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2019 draft: 

2018 draft: 

2017 draft: 

2016 draft: 

2015 draft: 

2014 draft: 

2013 draft: 

2012 draft: 

Yeah, both JR & Clancy has to be somewhat responsible for that atrocious list of picks.  I just hope, that the whole crew (once assembled), will be consisted of executives from other organizations as well.