The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think; how will the pause affect the team?

Rate this topic

Rubik

What do you think; how will the pause affect the team?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This pause will give Bruce a chance to put his stamp on the team. 

I'm of the opinion that if they had fired green and not hired a coach ( empty behind the bench) that we still would have gone on a roll. It's like a strong man walking down a hill with a bunch of dogs on leashes trying to get away and run down the hill. But he keeps yanking on the leashes engaging those choke collars.  The leashes all break at the same time= green gone. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It was a joke--I figured it was obvious by how extreme my statement was.

Although English is not my first language, it's completely fine. Actually I've never heard of comma splices before, so you just gave me a reason to look them up, thus also giving me a chance to improve my English in the future. In my native language I'm always very precise and I always make sure that I'm grammatically correct and I really put a great effort into my writing, so I really do appreciate it. Just don't call the firing squad on me next time though. :lol:

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 3

• Rubik changed the title to What do you think; how will the pause affect the team?

I think the break came at the perfect time. Team was getting really stretched on defense with injuries and Covid protocol. We had played pretty much, more games than almost every other team in the NHL, by a fairly large margin in some cases.

A week of downtime for BB to reflect on the team and work on things he wants to change, couldn't have come at a better time, IMO.

Edited by VegasCanuck

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It is a mini-camp but the pause also allows other teams the same chance to have one. Especially teams in our division.

Oilers/Flames will have a chance to jump out of the gate hot again like the start of the year.

The difference is the majority of other teams don't have a new coach trying to introduce a new system. I also think the break may help with our beat us D. We lost yet another one in the last game. I think the break is actually to our advantage.

Injuries were piling up d was decimated.

with everything these guys have been through and the number of games played a bit of rest should help and Bb getting to fine tune the system/ structure is a good thing. 

Playing with the anxiety of covid positives piling up couldn’t help the mental well being of these guys either. 

3 hours ago, rychicken said:

I think it's a negative - the Canucks have had the element of surprise the past few games...teams not expecting them to play this new style - they have been used to the "old Canucks"

There will still be an element of surprise plus the bonus of being pretty much 100% healthy.

OEL was clearly back early due to the D dropping like flies and Shaw having a week to work with them can only be a good thing.

Plus the superstitious part of me sees the break as not continuing the streak but rather starting a new one. Win 6 in a row get a week of and start another one.

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The difference is the majority of other teams don't have a new coach trying to introduce a new system. I also think the break may help with our beat us D. We lost yet another one in the last game. I think the break is actually to our advantage.

Hard to say how much we're able to improve or whether or not we can well enough. When I look at the roster I still see holes. The rest should help Demko, we'll be relying on him a lot. Only real kicker for everybody is post-COVID effects which are unpredictable. We've seen Sutter yet to play as a result and half of our D-core is out with COVID.

I think there's a decent chance Oilers/Flames can repeat their start of the year. Oiler's especially could use a break like this after that losing streak and just coming back with a couple wins. Perfect time for them to regroup.

Vegas plays tonight against the Lightning and are gunning for their 6th straight win. Pietrangelo and Dadonov are out though. If they get a break too it will help them probably the most out of anyone in the league given how hard they've been hit with injuries.

Time will tell, especially with the post-covid effects.

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

Although English is not my first language, it's completely fine. Actually I've never heard of comma splices before, so you just gave me a reason to look them up, thus also giving me a chance to improve my English in the future. In my native language I'm always very precise and I always make sure that I'm grammatically correct and I really put a great effort into my writing, so I really do appreciate it. Just don't call the firing squad on me next time though. :lol:

Here's one for you: run on sentence.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It is a mini-camp but the pause also allows other teams the same chance to have one. Especially teams in our division.

Oilers/Flames will have a chance to jump out of the gate hot again like the start of the year.

I think the flames struggle post break, they will have the most games lost and they play a system that has proven to tire out teams that need to play it all year and don't have the horses to win without it. Plus Marky is a good goalie but he's already coming back to reality and we know he tends to struggle later in the season or inevitably will get hurt.

The Oilers are a severely flawed team that literally only wins when McDrai each put up multiple points.

Smith can't be relied on, their D is terrible and have been bottom five all year 5on5 both sides of the ice.

Vegas looks like they are gonna win the at least the pacific but I honestly think and I thought this in September we should be a top 3 team in the division.

After the Sens game I said we needed to go on a bender and including that game we are 8-1 with some very winnable games coming up.

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think the flames struggle post break, they will have the most games lost and they play a system that has proven to tire out teams that need to play it all year and don't have the horses to win without it. Plus Marky is a good goalie but he's already coming back to reality and we know he tends to struggle later in the season or inevitably will get hurt.

The Oilers are a severely flawed team that literally only wins when McDrai each put up multiple points.

Smith can't be relied on, their D is terrible and have been bottom five all year 5on5 both sides of the ice.

Vegas looks like they are gonna win the at least the pacific but I honestly think and I thought this in September we should be a top 3 team in the division.

After the Sens game I said we needed to go on a bender and including that game we are 8-1 with some very winnable games coming up.

I disagree. The break will help Marky as it will help Demko, both goalies that are relied on a lot. Injury history means squat to me. Flames play a game built around their goalie and defensive play. The break will help them out as the style they play can be tiresome. You don't get the Pacific's leading goal differential without high effort levels. They have players having career years too and once were once thought as scrubs having comeback years. They should be fine barring potential COVID-effects, they were hit harder than us.

McDavid/Draisaitl hotstreaks usually last a while and the Oilers are good when they happen. They're streaky as hell but good streaky during the regular season. Their goalie situation will hurt them more in the playoffs than the regular season. Smith is a mystery. Maybe the break helps him catch up to speed, maybe not. They were winning a lot of games without him. Koskinen is good enough to win with in the regular season with McDraisaitl, the 12-6 record speaks for itself. I think they flop in the playoffs. 

We'll have more question marks regarding play. What will be our new norm? Will it be good enough? Is the roster good enough? Can Demko consistently play elite? Oilers are just doing Oilers things which still gets them into the post-season and the Flames have been one of the more consistent teams in the division in most of their games all year. They have a lot less to answer for. 

Ducks and Knights are playing well too. Not too confident in the Kings or Sharks.

Doesn't account for the Central either.

Post-COVID effects have to be considered as well. That's the underlying factor for everyone, especially the Flames who have been hit the hardest

We've got a hill to climb and questions that need answered. Should be interesting to see how teams come out of the gate. 

I think this break is actually really good for the team. 

Maybe in terms of momentum, probably not, since they’re probably losing it by not playing any games. But in terms of practice and understanding Boudreau’s systems better, then yes. I think the first 6 games were just on adrenaline, and excitement with the new coach coming on board, and things were fresh and new again. But that’s going to wear off inevitably and eventually. 

So better to have practices now, because they didn’t have them 10-12 days ago when Boudreau started.