The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think; how will the pause affect the team?

Rate this topic

Rubik

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think it will help.  Boudreau and Shaw have an opportunity now to fully implement their system and undo the vast majority of the damage caused by Green and Baumgartner.  There should be no more remnants of the previous staff's system once play resumes.

I think so too.  Normally, one might think its not so good to interrupt a team that's on a roll.  But in this case, the pros outweigh the cons.  On a team that hasn't had any real time to practice with the new coach. Now that can happen. On a team with players, especially on D, out with either injury or C protocol, this will give us the best possible chance with a relatively healthy roster.

The Canucks are rejuvenated, and are practicing like mad under a new coach and management as they have gone a spectacular 6-0. 

Nothin in that recipe indicates a decline in motivation, will or vision.

The Canucks currently sit 7 points behind a wild card spot, with 51 games to go. Not only can they squeeze into the playoffs, they are 10 pts away from being tops in the Pacific.

If the current run continues, they can do some serious damage.

• Vintage 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:55 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

The pause?

Is that short for the Pauser?

Canucks hired him as the GM?:rolleyes:

Maybe no one remembers the pauser ?

I was young then too when he was on the airwaves

I hope it gives the Ref's time to practice too, because they SUCK!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2021 at 8:07 AM, JayDangles said:

Example: Consider you are running a marathon and recording your best time ever. Then for some reason the marathon is stopped, and you're told the second half will be run two weeks from now, and everyone will start from the same place regardless of what position you were in when it stopped. It stands to reason if you were the fastest then you should have no problem jumping out front and finishing in first, however mentally you're frustrated and you cant build off of what you accomplished in the first half. 

This pause will definitely affect the team motivation and hot streak. yes their skills and fundamentals will be better, but the mental side will have taken a hit, and as we are witnessing first hand on this 6-0 run with the EXACT SAME players who lost 8 of previous 10, the mental side plays the biggest role.

I disagree, we saw some mistakes from the team being switched to new systems and practicing would clean that up.. make us better.. 

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

The Canucks are rejuvenated, and are practicing like mad under a new coach and management as they have gone a spectacular 6-0. 

The Canucks currently sit 7 points behind a wild card spot, with 51 games to go. Not only can they squeeze into the playoffs, they are 10 pts away from being tops in the Pacific.

Well we need tougher competition to show where we are as a team, i.e. Tampa Colorado etc.. making the playoffs with a team with little to no depth would get anything but wear and tear because obviously we're not a cup contender without upgrades that may or may not be available to us for awhile. 

• Vintage 1

Regardless of how it will affect the teams performance, man does it just suck that this all had to happen as soon as it looks like they might turn around the season and get back to 500. It's very reminiscent of March 2020 with the league shutting down again and everything. Already been one week since they played and the 27th can't come fast enough. 

13 hours ago, Me_ said:

Shhh...

(Don't tell Provost, he'll edit his predictions again, and change his so-called "math", and give us all Marchand for cheering for the team to keep trying to win.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Momentum is huge. I am concerned that this break could take away from what the team has built on. 

I remember the 88-89 playoff challenged Canuck team that went on a 7 game win streak to clinch a playoff berth, they almost upset a far better Lames team in the first round as a result.

I hope they can keep this going but the break could make it difficult.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this (so didn't vote).

A team that's hot has confidence and that'll all be "reset" to some degree as they go out cold again.  So I'm a bit nervous that the momentum the team was building will be squashed.

But the flipside is that they're getting a bit of practice time in and that's likely a good thing.  Rest also.  And they're having fun again...reports of them not leaving right after practice signals that.  Team bonding is underway. 

I really feel a key with this team (that Boudreau "gets") is that there are some players who are overcoached and overthinking things...that they just need to settle in and play.  He'll fine tune things and set up a system that plays to their strengths.  Which we've already seen to some degree.

I love our new coach...he's so awesome.  Even when we lose (and it's gonna come), I feel that he has the right "approach" with players.  He seems to be a listener as well as a talker and that's important ... to get a read on how your player's feel.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, iceman64 said:

I disagree, we saw some mistakes from the team being switched to new systems and practicing would clean that up.. make us better.. 

In actuality someone could have answered yes to both scenarios in the OP. Having more practice time will obviously ensure better execution of new systems etc. However there's no arguing that the momentum will be lost. 

7 hours ago, JayDangles said:

In actuality someone could have answered yes to both scenarios in the OP. Having more practice time will obviously ensure better execution of new systems etc. However there's no arguing that the momentum will be lost. 

I'm not sure about the momentum loss will make that much of a difference, seems like everyone is in a good confident mood but I'll guess we'll soon see.. 

It's been do or die time for well over a month, I don't think you shake all that losing off so easily. I think the team has more to prove than this short run of games. They're playing themselves. They all knew that they could play better, Coach B has been showing them that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's been do or die time for well over a month, I don't think you shake all that losing off so easily. I think the team has more to prove than this short run of games. They're playing themselves. They all knew that they could play better, Coach B has been showing them that. 

Yep...

I think the real test comes now.

After the joy/excitement of getting a new coach has passed and they haven't played for a few weeks now, the true test will be if they can pick it up, where they left.

After the next 5 games I think we will have a fairer picture of the team.

One week at the time was a great call by Boudreau... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I would have liked a more neutral option. It won't affect us negatively or positively BB will have the boys ready. A little more practice will have been beneficial but definitely lose a little of that momentum unless we win the next one we'll get that right back. Big game against Anaheim coming up. Real good young players there, will be interesting to see how and why they've been playing so well.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, iceman64 said:

I hope it gives the Ref's time to practice too, because they SUCK!!! 

NHL refs should be added as category 1A carcinogens. 

I heard the NHL has the refs perfecting their game management skills during the holidays to come up with a whole new way to infuriate the fans.