The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think; how will the pause affect the team?

Rate this topic

Rubik

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Example: Consider you are running a marathon and recording your best time ever. Then for some reason the marathon is stopped, and you're told the second half will be run two weeks from now, and everyone will start from the same place regardless of what position you were in when it stopped. It stands to reason if you were the fastest then you should have no problem jumping out front and finishing in first, however mentally you're frustrated and you cant build off of what you accomplished in the first half. 

This pause will definitely affect the team motivation and hot streak. yes their skills and fundamentals will be better, but the mental side will have taken a hit, and as we are witnessing first hand on this 6-0 run with the EXACT SAME players who lost 8 of previous 10, the mental side plays the biggest role.

• Vintage 1

Given that we had several players affected, I think the pause is good.

But momentum is a weird thing. Once it's lost, it's hard to get it back sometimes. Even though it seemed like our team was on top of the world having surged back into the playoffs at least being a possibility, I do hope it doesn't kill that vibe. The team has shown their fragility, and all it would take is a couple of losses in a row before all the headway gained becomes a distant memory.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think comma splices should be punishable by death.

In actual fact, it will probably hurt us a bit in the short term. It seems to me that this team really rolls with momentum, both good and bad. In the long term, we'll be fine I think.

Missed a comma there.

"...we'll be fine, I think".  Although I believe grammatically that should have been "...,I think we'll be fine." or since it is written word really should be "..., I think we will be fine."

But then again, I am a doctor not a linguist.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I actually found the poll question to be difficult. Wanted to answer both. 

I saw a Boudreau presser after a practice (yesterday?) where he said the players are all still wanting to learn as much as they can.  It sounds like they're also really giving their all in practice. Yes, they won 6 in a row, but they were probably running on inspiration and adrenaline with the fresh start. This break is good for them.

I think the Canucks come back a better structured team, tougher to play against, more defensively sound, and fast and aggressive - and all on the same page. I hope other teams' players are playing video games during this break. Canucks are gonna hand them a rude awakening when it gets going again.  GCG! 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The pause?

Is that short for the Pauser?

Canucks hired him as the GM?:rolleyes:

Maybe no one remembers the pauser ?

I was young then too when he was on the airwaves

The Pauser would have fit right in with CDC or HFboards. 

He was social media before social media. 

• Cheers 1

After watching practices, I would say it's going to be very beneficial for the Canucks.

Bruce has time now to get the players up to speed on how he wants them to play. 

Better still even in practices the team seems to be having fun. I've never seen so many smiles at practices. 

Best of all he's getting the players to improve. 

Heal up, and learn. That's a win to me. 

• Upvote 1

Not so sure as most others seem to be...

While I agree there's a massive advantage to be had in getting injured players back and extra training, I feel the feel good factor and adrenaline from winning will be somewhat lost now...

Hope I'm wrong, as the team started to find its mojo again... and has been brilliant to watch...

how can this be a negative? getting poolman myer schenn hamonic oel hunt recovered and healthy again in hamonic and OEL's case is a much needed break.. it's only a matter of time before we are blown out of the water playing with 4/6 AHL defensemen or an injury happens to hughes playing insane minutes coz there's literally no one to play defense.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

how can this be a negative? getting poolman myer schenn hamonic oel hunt recovered and healthy again in hamonic and OEL's case is a much needed break.. it's only a matter of time before we are blown out of the water playing with 4/6 AHL defensemen or an injury happens to hughes playing insane minutes coz there's literally no one to play defense.

And ?Hughes is a phenom.  He should play 30 min every game.  

Well IF the team isn't practicing then yes it could be a set back but if we're holding full practices I think it do nothing but good, with so many players in and out through the last few seasons including this one, we needed the time to practice more anyway. This could be a total blessing in disguise. 

(However I need hockey!!!)

Withdrawals are a biotch! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

On 12/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, Shayster007 said:

I think it's a positive. Realistically the new coach bump has diminishing returns. I feel we could even see that in the last game or 2 where the Canucks didn't look as intense and sharp as the first few games. It was a matter of time before we lost a game. If 1 lost turned into 2 or 3 this teams psyche could have been in a fragile state after the start of this year.

We got off to a fantastic start, and much of that was probably off excitement and adrenaline. The break gives the team a chance to bond further before that first loss happens.  In the long run I think this break is a positive for the team.

Well said.   This gives them time to consolidate the change.   It also helps players gain some time to heal up bumps and bruises etc.     As far as coaching goes Bruce didn't have a lot of time too install many systems.   This is well laid out in a recent NHL.com article, it's still Greens habits that are running most of the team.   Micro changes were made and bigger ones in the way he managed the line changes etc.   The habits he wants to instil in the macro view take a lot longer then a couple weeks.   Greens system took the fun out of the game and Bruce is unleashing that, the players have responded.   To keep that going this break should allow for and has up until now, practice time.   The players themselves staying well past the time last practice is encouraging.   They are having fun again.  

If BB/EP and our PK are going we could have a top team league wide.   Hard to say that with a straight face, but look what's happened with just BB going, EP getting better and our PK average since Bruce got here.   Won 2/3 before the change (and OTT also has been on a streak themselves since, beating some good teams on the way).    

Nothing would make me happier then see this team claw their way back into a play spot.   8-1 last 9 games have given us a chance.    And if we do, we'd be much like that cup winning St. Louis team.   

On 12/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, DrJockitch said:

Missed a comma there.

"...we'll be fine, I think".  Although I believe grammatically that should have been "...,I think we'll be fine." or since it is written word really should be "..., I think we will be fine."

But then again, I am a doctor not a linguist.

Screenshot_20211223_120817.jpg