The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Riley Nash

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The thing is, Riley Nash is not scoring on one of the deepest teams in the league. If you want your team to have more of a scoring threat, acquiring Nash isn't going to help. Besides, I like what Lamikko does. He's younger and he has untapped offensive capabilities. That pass to Motte last game was excellent.

If by Lammikko you mean Matthew Highmore, yah, that was a great tape to tape pass to Motte on the third period goal vs. the Kraken the other night.  Lammikko isn't going to give you any offence, so if you're waiting for his "untapped offensive capabilities" to magically come to life, good luck to you.  He's done squat offensively in North America.

Though he's been better recently on face-offs, you need better than 48% Face Off Win Pct from your fourth line centre, which is what Lammikko gives you. He's a LW pretending to be a centreman.

I'd take Riley Nash over Lammikko on any given night.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

In no way would this be that type of move.  More of tinkering to help balance the roster and help with just getting into the playoffs.

So, the roster is unbalanced, and Riley Nash will balance it? And seeing that he has scored 10 times in 173 games over the last four seasons (and zero this season), how can he possibly help getting the Canucks to the playoffs? 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If by Lammikko you mean Matthew Highmore, yah, that was a great tape to tape pass to Motte on the third period goal vs. the Kraken the other night.  Lammikko isn't going to give you any offence, so if you're waiting for his "untapped offensive capabilities" to magically come to life, good luck to you.  He's done squat offensively in North America.

Though he's been better recently on face-offs, you need better than 48% Face Off Win Pct from your fourth line centre, which is what Lammikko gives you. He's a LW pretending to be a centreman.

I'd take Riley Nash over Lammikko on any given night.

Lammikko has some great wheels. Last game he was flying and was very noticeable for all the right reasons that helps a team win games.

Lammikko is very involved. He was a great pickup. At the very least as good as Dickinson if not better suited for the role of 4C.

LAMMIKKO - NASH - CHIASSON

Some good beef on that line perhaps…

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Me_ said:

But not six million dollars a year anemic ha!

Too soon? 

Man… E r i k s s o n…

Epic.

How are his wheels? 

Funnily enough, Eriksson is an offensive star by comparison. 6 points in 29 games.

19 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

6'2" 32 yr old RH 4th line centre

> 50% FO win %

no pts but only -2 in 25 games

makes league minimum

seems worth a claim

We passed on him before when Tampa claimed him, but that was under the old GM regime. Maybe the team that waived him first tries to reclaim him? Would he be more useful than Lammikko? Maybe flip Nash at the TDL for a late round pick to a contender...asset management right!? Free asset to get minus his salary, if we can fit it under the cap. Another big reason to move Halak before his bonus imo, save ALL the cap space we can going into next year imo with more dead weight hitting us but Yes for all you whiners Luongo finally comes off the books too

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Considering how Rutherford recently said that the team's biggest need is to gain more offence from the bottom six, I highly doubt he's going all in on this guy!

is a waiver claim "all in"? its free help. 

with Petey out, and Brock not back, we need to really tighten up on team d for a bit here. Nash fits that scenario well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Prev history in a Brad Shaw system, right-handed C with shutdown capabilities.

Anything would be better than Chiasson playing a 5 on 5 shift. I've said it before though, I still think Will Lockwood should get a shot while some players are out

I doubt Lockwood will get a sniff this season unless we are done with playoff hopes.... Lockwood is similar to Motte/Highmore.... and Nash can be our solid 4C basically replacing Sutter for real! 

Lammikko is looking more comfortable out there with us but I'm not sold on him being our everyday player. Having more options will suit us better for rest of the season. Let's not forget we are only down to Dowling and Petan at C if any of our current C's goes down!

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

So, the roster is unbalanced, and Riley Nash will balance it? And seeing that he has scored 10 times in 173 games over the last four seasons (and zero this season), how can he possibly help getting the Canucks to the playoffs? 

Who said anything about claiming Nash completely balancing the roster ?   There's multiple moves that would be needed for that.... one of which just happens to be acquiring a RH 4th line center that can be trusted on the PK.

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Who said anything about claiming Nash completely balancing the roster ?   There's multiple moves that would be needed for that.... one of which just happens to be acquiring a RH 4th line center that can be trusted on the PK.

Good point!!! In case I need to remind the peeps here, we STINK in PK's this season and only recently started to improve a bit.... a RH C who's decent FO will help us so much especially in PK! I don't see any reason why Ruthie doesn't wanna claim this guy at league minimum... he's basically our fill-in Beagle but younger!