The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Newsflash...so why would he want to do it twice in 3 months?  At least waiting until the end of

season to move, his kids can stay in their school and the family has lots of time to adjust to the

move.

Why bother signing NMC if the team is going to badger you to waive it?  Very classy!

In fairness to the Canucks it wasn’t this regime that negotiated the NMC. 

38 minutes ago, combover said:

Should have just waived him see if anyone bites. 
oh well the cap saved in hamonic bad contract can be used to pay off another Jb bad contract. Owners should be use to paying for JB fups. 

Can’t waive him. He has a NMC. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Given the Panthers received a 6th round pick for eating 1.5 million in cap space and Halak's cap this year would be 6 million (or 1.5 next year) so it would have likely cost us a 3rd to dump him. Rather keep the pick. 

Edited by canucklehead44

Just now, Baggins said:

Why give Martin amunition to ask for more money? His contract is up at the end of the season. 

Because we need to see if the last stretch was just a fluke or if he can be a reliable backup.

No way he gets more than a mil regardless if he plays more games or not. That can be buried in the AHL if he can’t cut it.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because we need to see if the last stretch was just a fluke or if he can be a reliable backup.

No way he gets more than a mil regardless if he plays more games or not. That can be buried in the AHL if he can’t cut it.

With a .915 S% and 15-3-2 record in Abby I suspect he'll already get over a mil as he'll be a ufa. Don't add to his bargaining power.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

With a .915 S% and 15-3-2 record in Abby I suspect he'll already get over a mil as he'll be a ufa. Don't add to his bargaining power.

AHL numbers don’t add anything to an NHL contract.

He’s still very unproven at the NHL level, no way he gets anything over a mil. He has no bargaining power.

Just now, DeNiro said:

AHL numbers don’t add anything to an NHL contract.

He’s still very unproven at the NHL level, no way he gets anything over a mil. He has no bargaining power.

UFA is his bargaining power. All he has to do is wait until free agency if he feels he's being lowballed. Another team may be willing to offer a two at even 2m. If he's not performing back to the AHL at an AHL salary. Is he confident enough to go for 2m on a two way rather than 1m on a one way? We somewhat gambled on Demko based on three playoff games.

Just now, Baggins said:

UFA is his bargaining power. All he has to do is wait until free agency if he feels he's being lowballed. Another team may be willing to offer a two at even 2m. If he's not performing back to the AHL at an AHL salary. Is he confident enough to go for 2m on a two way rather than 1m on a one way? We somewhat gambled on Demko based on three playoff games.

Sorry but no.

Unproven AHL goalies don’t get offered 2 million dollars. It just doesn’t happen.

What his camp will be asking for is a 1 way contract so he’s guaranteed that money.

If they offer him a one way 2 year deal at around 900k he’d be crazy not to take it. He was a relative unknown that Tampa gave away before his three game stint here.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry but no.

Unproven AHL goalies don’t get offered 2 million dollars. It just doesn’t happen.

What his camp will be asking for is a 1 way contract so he’s guaranteed that money.

If they offer him a one way 2 year deal at around 900k he’d be crazy not to take it. He was a relative unknown that Tampa gave away before his three game stint here.

Again, it depends on how confident he is. And yet again, he is a UFA. I'm sure his agent would recommend the sure money but it's still up to the player. I also think at 900k his agent would recommend waiting until free agency.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Again, it depends on how confident he is. And yet again, he is a UFA. I'm sure his agent would recommend the sure money but it's still up to the player. I also think at 900k his agent would recommend waiting until free agency.

If we’re offering him the backup role next season that’s more than any team is willing to offer him guaranteed.

Plus he gets the chance to be coached by one of the best goalie coaches in the game.

If he even thinks of turning that down I don’t want him cause that means the guys a complete dummy.

• Vintage 1