The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pettersson for Lafreniere

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Why blame Green??? Elias let his ego get the better of him and didn't come into the season prepared. Has nothing to do with Green. 

Motte is great there is no reason to trade Motte unless a team over pays. 

That's pretty assumptive to think that Pettersson's ego is the issue here? Hughes and he signed at the same time and showed up to camp at the same time. They both skated in Michigan with Brady Tkachuk. Yet, Hughes who, once again was out for the same amount of time as Pettersson, is having an amazing season so far. 

Certainly a lot of what's plaguing Pettersson is internal, but to say it's his ego is both ridiculous and unfounded. 

Motte could very well be traded based on Rutherford's comments regarding trading vets for picks. Be prepared.

Pettersson is more proven. Laffreniere was a number 1 pick only 2 years ago and is younger.

Perhaps oddly enough, don't find this as bad of a proposal as others do. Naturally, fans here are going to think the sun and the moon of Pettersson and be hesitant of a Laffrenire that's been underperforming.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's pretty assumptive to think that Pettersson's ego is the issue here? Hughes and he signed at the same time and showed up to camp at the same time. They both skated in Michigan with Brady Tkachuk. Yet, Hughes who, once again was out for the same amount of time as Pettersson, is having an amazing season so far. 

Certainly a lot of what's plaguing Pettersson is internal, but to say it's his ego is both ridiculous and unfounded. 

Motte could very well be traded based on Rutherford's comments regarding trading vets for picks. Be prepared.

Does 26 count as a veteran? He's basically the same age as Horvat.

As much as I am disgruntled with Pettersson's play, if you are trading him, you are selling very low and likely won't recoup the value if you are asking multiple pieces.

I understand the idea of exploring trades for Pettersson, but if it isn't a bonafide 1C coming back, I'm not entertaining the idea of trading him. Who in the right mind is willing to trade a legitimate 1C for someone who may not be a 1C? I don't think anyone sane enough would do that.

Lets be patient. Its okay to criticize Petey, but lets not throw him away for candy.

Lafreniere has had just as worse of a season than Petey.

• Cheers 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As much as I am disgruntled with Pettersson's play, if you are trading him, you are selling very low and likely won't recoup the value if you are asking multiple pieces.

I understand the idea of exploring trades for Pettersson, but if it isn't a bonafide 1C coming back, I'm not entertaining the idea of trading him. Who in the right mind is willing to trade a legitimate 1C for someone who may not be a 1C? I don't think anyone sane enough would do that.

Lets be patient. Its okay to criticize Petey, but lets not throw him away for candy.

Lafreniere has had just as worse of a season than Petey.

I'm not on the trade Petey boat, but I think it's almost a stretch to consider Petey at legitimate 1C at this point. He's been a decent 1C when he's playing well I think and especially now he's playing more like a 2/3C. I do believe he will bounce back though, but he's not much more than just a decent 1C at best IMO unless he makes positive strides.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Far as I'm aware, there's no objective definition out there, so it's all subjective I think, haha.

Pretty much this. For example, the NHL officially defines a veteran as a player who's played 30 or more NHL games. Basically, if they're not a rookie they're a veteran. This, obviously, is going to be a lackluster definition if you want to talk about veteran players in a sense of having years of experience.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Rather give Pettersson time to get the Green out of his system. Time to trade Tyler Motte.

Motte plays with Chaisson. Trade Chaisson and see what happens. Improve the players around him and see what happens. He is only a -4 and plays some tougher minutes. LIttle offense but he is definitely contributing. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Pettersson is more proven. Laffreniere was a number 1 pick only 2 years ago and is younger.

Perhaps oddly enough, don't find this as bad of a proposal as others do. Naturally, fans here are going to think the sun and the moon of Pettersson and be hesitant of a Laffrenire that's been underperforming.

I think it's important that people understand that Lafreniere is not underperforming.  He simply has not reached his potential yet.  He may or may not reach that potential.  That is the risk you take with a young player like that.  This is not the same as Petey.  Petey has shown a PPG ability already... hence he is underperforming.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I think it's important that people understand that Lafreniere is not underperforming.  He simply has not reached his potential yet.  He may or may not reach that potential.  That is the risk you take with a young player like that.  This is not the same as Petey.  Petey has shown a PPG ability already... hence he is underperforming.

Does this really change what I'm saying though?

Rangers are in some internal cap problems as it is and they won’t have the space to fit in Pettersson’s caphit for next season. We’ll have to take on some salary coming back, and I don’t see them trading away Strome (who is a pending UFA anyway) along with Lafreniere as a package for Pettersson. Nemeth could be a player they could send back, but he has a NTC, and I don’t expect him to waive it for a bubble team. Chytil is another player, but that would decimate their entire third line.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Does this really change what I'm saying though?

I think it does.  If Lafreniere was a 1F last year and is slumping this year, that's a big difference than a young player that hasn't hit the levels expected of him yet.

This is precisely why Petey is worth a lot more than Lafreniere right now.

Edited by HKSR

4 hours ago, khay said:

For a Calder winning center who has been near PPG until this season for a winger that hasn't put it together at all. 

NYR needs to add a 1st rounder and maybe one of their prized RHD prospects.

I'd say Petey requires a return higher than Eichel for us to even consider trading him.

I would have done Petterson for Eichel at the start of the year. And then let Eichel 'do what he wants' for medical, which he did, and LV is going to make out gangbusters.

That ship has floated by sadly.