The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pettersson for Lafreniere

A few reasons why this deal could work. Neither GM drafted either player, New York has the cap space relatively speaking to acquire Pettersson.  a few pieces may have to be added to make the cap work.  It would give the Canucks more cap flexibility, The rangers would get 2 more years of Pettersson on this contract and then would have the last year of his RFA rights. It is a gamble for both sides but I could see the upside for both teams.  Flame away.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

For a Calder winning center who has been near PPG until this season for a winger that hasn't put it together at all. 

NYR needs to add a 1st rounder and maybe one of their prized RHD prospects.

I'd say Petey requires a return higher than Eichel for us to even consider trading him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, WEVEGOTMOTTE said:

A few reasons why this deal could work. Neither GM drafted either player, New York has the cap space relatively speaking to acquire Pettersson.  a few pieces may have to be added to make the cap work.  It would give the Canucks more cap flexibility, The rangers would get 2 more years of Pettersson on this contract and then would have the last year of his RFA rights. It is a gamble for both sides but I could see the upside for both teams.  Flame away.

I think that the Rangers would have to add SIGNIFICANTLY in any deal between those two pieces.  Lafreniere is a 3rd line winger right now with lots of upside.  Petterson even having a down year is a top line centre who is still young and also has the resume of almost a PPG over his NHL career.

We are also not rebuilding, so we need to make hockey trades where we get younger but also change the roster composition and cap allocation.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So we trade away a superstar number one center, who is really young, for an obvious bustaroo bonsai?  :lol:

Don't be knockin' BONSAI, Alf-san! Get 'cherself a lovely miniature pine, & clip away at it for decades..add a mossy bottom & you've got an awesome, alien-experience!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We add Rathbone & they add Schneider, then it starts sounding interesting. Feel the Rags might need to add a +

Can't say either way. Don't know enough about Rag's prospects, tbh. But it's an interesting suggestion.

If the + is Chytil, I'm interested.  We need a cost controlled center coming back.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If the + is Chytil, I'm interested.  We need a cost controlled center coming back.

The scheming, degenerate Rags may feel that they've accumulated enough young assets, they may splurge excess to land a talented alien. Further, look how they picked another Cdn pocket to land a certain, goofy swede, already.

I haven't gotten over the rigged deck of '94 yet..just don't know?

If we are out of the playoffs by TDL and we decide to do a retool, I can see a deal involving Miller for a package including

one of {Lafreniere, Schneider} and a draft pick.

Lafreniere-EP-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Podz-C-Hogz

Get a 3C next summer to play between Podz and Hogz.

If we can get Lafreniere and Schneider for Miller + our own prospect that would be great but unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, khay said:

If we are out of the playoffs by TDL and we decide to do a retool, I can see a deal involving Miller for a package including

one of {Lafreniere, Schneider} and a draft pick.

Lafreniere-EP-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Podz-C-Hogz

Get a 3C next summer to play between Podz and Hogz.

If we can get Lafreniere and Schneider for Miller + our own prospect that would be great but unlikely.

For the long-game, this absolutely makes more sense.

• Cheers 1

I would pass on this trade but consider it for Miller (would he even want to do a full circle to the team that originally drafted him)

Only saw Laf play one game and he looked invisible and unmotivated far from what I saw in juniors.... to his defense it was a game played in Calgary 

I mentioned this in the halak trade rumour thread

To NYR:  Miller

To VAN: 2022 2nd, 2021 1st, Alexis Lafrenier 

Miller is EXACTLY what the Rags need right now.  They have $5 ish million in cap space.  AF has looked like a poor mans Yakupov but could still bust out (QMJHL risk is evident) and we need that cost protected LW depth and won't be able to pay Miller the no doubt upcoming $7.75+ million he'll be asking with term.

Miller makes the Rags contenders NOW while AF is looking more and more like a bench sitter than a 1st OA player.  Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle and Drysdale are blowing by him in terms of production and the risk would be on us to take that potential bust of a 1st OA off of their hands and some later later early round picks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Rather give Pettersson time to get the Green out of his system. Time to trade Tyler Motte.

Why blame Green??? Elias let his ego get the better of him and didn't come into the season prepared. Has nothing to do with Green. 

Motte is great there is no reason to trade Motte unless a team over pays. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1