The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Are we already set to rebuild again?

I'm not getting any younger.

Lets go with this core and win the cup in 2 years 

Nah. Moving players out and tinkering doesn't mean you're rebuilding from the ground up. 

Move out Miller and you're still left with top six guys in Pettersson, Hoglander, Horvat, Garland, and Boeser. Move out Boeser too and you've still got the aforementioned four. Then there's Podz who should take steps going forward, and Pearson who's a respectable top 6 tweener. 

Then you factor in whatever returns you get for said players, which could be a combination of young NHL ready players, prospects, and picks. Taking a step back for 2-3 years to restructure the roster and get younger wouldn't be the end of the world, if anything it might result in a lengthier window. 

Then factor in the cap space you acquire by moving guys out.

We'd still have Hughes and OEL, Demko isn't going anywhere. There would be remaining pieces to tinker around, and we could have worse pieces to restructure the roster around. I'd rather take a couple years to reset than go all in over the next 2-3 seasons and miss, and given sixteen teams make the playoffs and only one wins we're much more likely to miss than get the payout you'd like. 

We've been playing contenders lately, we aren't one. This team doesn't beat a team like Florida, Tampa, or Carolina in a seven game series even if it manages to get through Vegas, St. Louis, or Colorado. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah. Moving players out and tinkering doesn't mean you're rebuilding from the ground up. 

Move out Miller and you're still left with top six guys in Pettersson, Hoglander, Horvat, Garland, and Boeser. Move out Boeser too and you've still got the aforementioned four. Then there's Podz who should take steps going forward, and Pearson who's a respectable top 6 tweener. 

Then you factor in whatever returns you get for said players, which could be a combination of young NHL ready players, prospects, and picks. Taking a step back for 2-3 years to restructure the roster and get younger wouldn't be the end of the world, if anything it might result in a lengthier window. 

Then factor in the cap space you acquire by moving guys out.

We'd still have Hughes and OEL, Demko isn't going anywhere. There would be remaining pieces to tinker around, and we could have worse pieces to restructure the roster around. I'd rather take a couple years to reset than go all in over the next 2-3 seasons and miss, and given sixteen teams make the playoffs and only one wins we're much more likely to miss than get the payout you'd like. 

We've been playing contenders lately, we aren't one. This team doesn't beat a team like Florida, Tampa, or Carolina in a seven game series even if it manages to get through Vegas, St. Louis, or Colorado. 

Petey or Horvat get injured and we are suddenly real thin down the middle.

Miller types are very hard to find. 

I'm down with tweaks but I would move Brock well before JT,  mostly because of the positions they play. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He'd be a really nice piece for a contender.  I love the guy but I'm not opposed to a good return. 

That's like saying I'd sell my house for the right price.

Of course.

Listen heffy you like to stir it up.  How about you actually come clean.

What is a good return for Motte in your opinion? Spell it out.  What is a good return for this player?

15 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's pretty quick too, big body, can get in on the forecheck. Being an offensive black hole limits him a bit but I agree there's other things to like.

I'd also agree he's better at wing for sure. 

I just cant believe how tough it is for NHL teams to get bigger, while maintaining the proper skill level. Canucks aren't alone in trying to improve overall team size, and grit .

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

That's likely what teams would be willing togive up, however, to me, Motte's value to the team is higher than that.  I think if they make some big moves, Motte is a guy who will finally get a look at a top 6 audition after the deadline.

Motte is a guy who if given the minutes Dickinson got in Dallas, and stayed healthy, would be getting a deal just like him.   And i also think he's got untapped offense.   Plays with chumps and still produces.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Petey or Horvat get injured and we are suddenly real thin down the middle.

Miller types are very hard to find. 

I'm down with tweaks but I would move Brock well before JT,  mostly because of the positions they play. 

Get a younger, less proven C back in trade, sign one of Tierney/Paul/Sturm this summer. Voila, C depth and a bunch of nice return for moving a guy that would be slowing down right in the meat of our core's prime, with a likely $8m+ cap hit (anchor).

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Of course.

What is a good return for Motte in your opinion? Spell it out.  What is a good return for this player?

A first.   Or two seconds.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

yay, teams like one of our 4th liners, unless we get a 1st (which I think is ridiculous) then I would not move him, because then we need to go looking for a replacement and we have not had a good bottom 6 since 2011 (and even then it was an amazing 3rd line and some 4th line plugs)

need to sign him before the trade deadline then

I really think Motte will be the first Canuck traded under Rutherford..Motte to playoff contender mid March

6 hours ago, rekker said:

I disagree. Dickenson is the kind of player we need more of. He isn't easy to play against. 

for 3rd pick and prospect under 28..

39 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Of course.

I'd be pretty happy with a guy like Prokop or Bahl.  Those teams aren't buyers, but that's an example of the type of player/value that I'd want: big mean D prospect.

So I understand moving Motte, BUT what if he can play higher in the line up?  Im not saying he’s a 35 goal scorer like Burrows, but if you lock him up on a 4 year deal around 2 million, I think Id take him on a 3rd line/2nd line role over Dickinson. He’s one of the team’s best PKrs,l and doesnt give an inch.  Still young and will be playing in his prime.  Id think long and hard before moving him. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

So I understand moving Motte, BUT what if he can play higher in the line up?  Im not saying he’s a 35 goal scorer like Burrows, but if you lock him up on a 4 year deal around 2 million, I think Id take him on a 3rd line/2nd line role over Dickinson. He’s one of the team’s best PKrs,l and doesnt give an inch.  Still young and will be playing in his prime.  Id think long and hard before moving him. 

I'm just going to ask the question everyone's dancing around. What if he doesn't want to stay (or at least not for a reasonable hit/term)?

It's all well and good to suggest we should keep good players because they're good, but UFA's also get a say in where they're going (same applies to Miller). He may want to go to a contender (who can blame him?). 

The Canucks aren't in a position where we can simply let these guys walk without getting assets back for them. People best prepare themselves for some pretty seismic changes moving forward here as they're very likely IMO. Good players, that we like, or otherwise.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Vancouver will have 10 million to spend this summer and 8 forwards - 7 D men and 1 goalie under contract..

Boeser - 6 X 7.8

So 2 million to spend on 3 forwards and 1 backup goalie...

We will need to free up cap space?

Lockwood will step in for Motte..

I still think JR will trade one of the top 5 forwards..

Boeser or Miller -- Get 1st rounder, young top prospect under 25 D man making less then 4 million and 4th rounder...

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Vancouver will have 10 million to spend this summer and 8 forwards - 7 D men and 1 goalie under contract..

Boeser - 6 X 7.8

Boeser or Miller -- Get 1st rounder, young top prospect under 25 D man making less then 4 million and 4th rounder...

Boeser has not earned a 6 x $7.8 deal.

But sure, there's moves coming. Just like every off season.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 3

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Boeser - 6 X 7.8

I don't think that 10M accounts for the bonuses Pod/Hog are gonna receive and Halak's potential 1.5M bonus he will likely get, all of which will carry over next year. Overall, without any move, we might be able to re-sign Boeser and that's it.

Motte is a “catalyst “ type player that this team can not do without.

When he is not in the lineup the Canucks suffer of properly balanced lines, 

if this player was 6’2 ,. We wouldn’t even be thinking of trading him,.  
yet he plays like he is 6’2,  so why are we even thinking of trading him?

.. for the unknown pick we’ll get in a trade for him?

Not worth it.

Move a player that’s costing you too much already, one that you might not be able to resign..  Boeser has made no difference in the line up or out.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just going to ask the question everyone's dancing around. What if he doesn't want to stay (or at least not for a reasonable hit/term)?

It's all well and good to suggest we should keep good players because they're good, but UFA's also get a say in where they're going (same applies to Miller). He may want to go to a contender (who can blame him?). 

The Canucks aren't in a position where we can simply let these guys walk without getting assets back for them. People best prepare themselves for some pretty seismic changes moving forward here as they're very likely IMO. Good players, that we like, or otherwise.

Dancing around? I was looking at the question of whether even to consider another contract. What Motte wants to do is an entirely separate issue.

To lazy to look through the thread. A reminder that JB picked up Motte for an expiring Vanek. So many were disappointed in no pick in exchange for Vanek, who no team really wanted. Hmmm, well done JB, well done.

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2