The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Jeff Carter

A little bit of an overpayment given his age (he just turned 37 a few weeks ago).

That said, he was on the verge of retirement before going to Pittsburgh and it's really interesting watching him revive his career in Pittsburgh for one last chapter to his incredible NHL career.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Really rejuvenated his career in Pittsburgh.  Good bang for the buck considering he's putting up 0.6 PPG.  A better version of Pearson for them.

He's on pace for almost 60 points, which is about .72 pace.

5 minutes ago, Quantum said:

A little bit of an overpayment given his age (he just turned 37 a few weeks ago).

That said, he was on the verge of retirement before going to Pittsburgh and it's really interesting watching him revive his career in Pittsburgh for one last chapter to his incredible NHL career.

60 point pace for 3.125M? He could be 47 years old and it's still a bargain.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Thanks. It’s funny how some folks get stupid when it comes to aging players eh? Miller for example is only 28 and folks around here acting so ignorant. “His next contract will hurt”, etc…our heart and soul MVP not getting the respect he deserves. Downright pisses me off

Angry Loki GIF

People want to rebuild forever. There’s some

pipe dream that the only way to make a great team is to trade everyone away 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Devron said:

People want to rebuild forever. There’s some

pipe dream that the only way to make a great team is to trade everyone away 

I guess everyone must think Pittsburgh is a serious Cup contender over the next couple of seasons. Otherwise I can only assume that Carter has to be traded for assets............at least that's what most of CDC would say. Your comment of "only way to make a great team is to trade everyone away" is a very good assessment of the viewpoint of many on CDC. Yup, gotta believe we should follow that successful model down there in Arizona.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

I guess everyone must think Pittsburgh is a serious Cup contender over the next couple of seasons. Otherwise I can only assume that Carter has to be traded for assets............at least that's what most of CDC would say. Your comment of "only way to make a great team is to trade everyone away" is a very good assessment of the viewpoint of many on CDC. Yup, gotta believe we should follow that successful model down there in Arizona.

We’ve become too adapted to idea that you need to be young to win and it’s very far from the truth. Some player yes absolutely we need to move on particularly on defence. We need the proper mix but we already have a lot of Ingredients. 

Most of our players are underachieving this year and the proof is their age and prior seasons. For whatever reason we haven’t clicked until Bruce got here then was tossed the old Covid curveball. Fans need to relax a little. I’m fairly confident we can get on a run once this protocol stuff slows down.

I hope we are in a playoff spot come the deadline or close too so I can say suck it lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Thanks. It’s funny how some folks get stupid when it comes to aging players eh? Miller for example is only 28 and folks around here acting so ignorant. “His next contract will hurt”, etc…our heart and soul MVP not getting the respect he deserves. Downright pisses me off

Angry Loki GIF

Well history has shown most of these contracts age badly.  Teams pay for up front good years knowing they aren’t going to get their money’s worth in the back half.

Miller will be 30 when his new contract kicks in and on the open market he will command a 6-8 year contract for $8-9 million.

The great thing is there is a lot of data from the game to show overall trends as players age.  Peak has gotten younger and the drop off in the 30’s steeper.  An individual can defy this, but you are bucking the odds and it isn’t likely.  This graph shows age trends for point production just for forwards.  On average they will be half as productive by 35 as they were in their mid 20’s.  

This is where analytics can be useful.  If you later on contract cap hits over that same graph you find that contracts go up when the production is expected to go down… a bad recipe to plan around and will be inefficient most of the time.

To leverage aging veterans who you still need, you have to sign them to long term contracts at the start of their prime that hopefully devalue over time with cap inflation.  Crosby’s cap hit doesn’t hurt as it is worth much less % of the team’s total cap than when it was signed. 

image.png.7e846e3d825800cd91e96b52e9f05d06.png

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well history has shown most of these contracts age badly.  Teams pay for up front good years knowing they aren’t going to get their money’s worth in the back half.

Miller will be 30 when his new contract kicks in and on the open market he will command a 6-8 year contract for $8-9 million.

The great thing is there is a lot of data from the game to show overall trends as players age.  Peak has gotten younger and the drop off in the 30’s steeper.  An individual can defy this, but you are bucking the odds and it isn’t likely.  This graph shows age trends for point production just for forwards.  On average they will be half as productive by 35 as they were in their mid 20’s.  

image.png.7e846e3d825800cd91e96b52e9f05d06.png

I am calling BS on that chart. The chart indicates that a 18-19 year old  will be as productive as a 30-31 year old. Who exactly are all of these 18-19 year olds that are scoring at more than 80% of their peak 24 year old production. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Devron said:

We’ve become too adapted to idea that you need to be young to win and it’s very far from the truth. Some player yes absolutely we need to move on particularly on defence. We need the proper mix but we already have a lot of Ingredients. 

Most of our players are underachieving this year and the proof is their age and prior seasons. For whatever reason we haven’t clicked until Bruce got here then was tossed the old Covid curveball. Fans need to relax a little. I’m fairly confident we can get on a run once this protocol stuff slows down.

I hope we are in a playoff spot come the deadline or close too so I can say suck it lol

I don't think there has ever been a season on CDC where the consensus was that the Canucks are young enough, big enough or tough enough. I don't expect that will ever change.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't think there has ever been a season on CDC where the consensus was that the Canucks are young enough, big enough or tough enough. I don't expect that will ever change.

Yep even when we were the best team in the league. 11/12 years ago. Some things never change 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Don’t tell @aGENTor @stawns !

You'll note they signed Carter to a 2 year, $3.125m contract. Ie: not a 6-8 year, $8m-9.5m anchor.

I know you haven't bothered to either read or comprehend any of my posts, but once again, I have no problem with players over 30. None. I'd be thrilled if Allvin signs Pavelski to that same (Carter) deal this summer.

But carry on with you awesome "Be a GM" ideas like "sign Kane" and "Extend Miller to an anchor".