The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Cap not going up for years. 

Players owe the owners over a Billion dollars because of Covid.

That has to be paid back over the next few years before cap starts going up again. 

1m cap increase was allowed at beginning of this year. So that's about all it will go up.  

Hence the limp-wristed effort for ANYONE vs Hogtown Leaves.

Let the suckers of Ontario pay down the escrow-abusement!

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

And we shouldn’t expect to get in a playoff spot after a couple of weeks.

Its gonna take the rest of the runway to get in. That’s why Boudreau has them focused on winning the week.

A few wins in a row along with those California teams coming back to reality and things could look pretty different come trade deadline.

Maybe, we'll see. I think you're selling California short, LA's legitimately been great this season. San Jose will struggle without Karlsson, but while Anaheim's got several loser points you don't pick up those points by not being competitive. Vegas is Vegas, they were always expected to win the division. 

Edmonton's won three in a row, Calgary's stomped some good teams lately. If the rest of the division continues to win I'm not sold on the fact that this group will get the rest of the season to have things play out. 

If they want that chance they'll need to get red hot and build off this win, or we may see moves sooner than later. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

It’s a tall task but I’ll be cheering all the way

Things have a funny way of changing over the course of the season.

At the beginning of the season we were last in the division and the Oilers were first in the league. Now we’re right there with them.

Its gonna take at least a few extended winning streaks but there’s definitely still hope. Makes those divisional games all the more exciting and important. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, we'll see. I think you're selling California short, LA's legitimately been great this season. San Jose will struggle without Karlsson, but while Anaheim's got several loser points you don't pick up those points by not being competitive. Vegas is Vegas, they were always expected to win the division. 

Edmonton's won three in a row, Calgary's stomped some good teams lately. If the rest of the division continues to win I'm not sold on the fact that this group will get the rest of the season to have things play out. 

If they want that chance they'll need to get red hot and build off this win, or we may see moves sooner than later. 

LA has looked impressive I’ll give you that. Still think there’s a bit of overachieving going on though. You can’t tell me that Danault and Arvidsson fixed all their problems.  

I think San Jose has gotten more out of their goaltenders than most would expect. Now without Karlsson their D is pretty thin. If Meier and Hertl go on extended scoring droughts the Ls will start to pile up. 

And Anaheim is riding the Gibson wave pretty good but the goals against are starting to increase. Also can their rookies keep up their play all season or do they hit a wall? I think they’re due for an extended losing streak.

If the Canucks get get their offense going, they have one of the lowest 5 on 5 goals against in the league. Combine those two along with Demko’s play and that should equal some W’s. So far Bruce has them on a .658 pace before tonight’s win. Keep that up and I think they gain quite a bit of ground in the next month.

8 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

How does Copp ( 1g) get 3rd star ahead of Boeser (1g and 2a)? Sympathy vote for the Peggers?

Yep.  How long have you been watching hockey?  It's a frosty Friday when one team gets all the stars whether they deserve it or not.  I think it has happened more in recent years having said that

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

LA has looked impressive I’ll give you that. Still think there’s a bit of overachieving going on though. You can’t tell me that Danault and Arvidsson fixed all their problems.  

I think San Jose has gotten more out of their goaltenders than most would expect. Now without Karlsson their D is pretty thin. If Meier and Hertl go on extended scoring droughts the Ls will start to pile up. 

And Anaheim is riding the Gibson wave pretty good but the goals against are starting to increase. Also can their rookies keep up their play all season or do they hit a wall? I think they’re due for an extended losing streak.

If the Canucks get get their offense going, they have one of the lowest 5 on 5 goals against in the league. Combine those two along with Demko’s play and that should equal some W’s. So far Bruce has them on a .658 pace before tonight’s win. Keep that up and I think they gain quite a bit of ground in the next month.

I don't think so, I've been following the division pretty closely and they're playing a similar grindy game to what won them their cups. It's not just those two, they're contributing to a team that's being lead by the remainders of LA's old core. Kopitar's nearly point per game, Doughty has played how Doughty can, and even 37 year old Brown has gotten a point almost every second game. Even Quick's managed to play around .500 which has been an improvement. Will it last beyond this season as Kopitar reaches his twilight years? Hard to say, but LA could very well be a team on the rise. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see San Jose slide, but I never expected them to do this well to begin. Karlsson is a big loss.

Hard to say with Anaheim, but they've done well this far so I don't see why they couldn't continue? Perhaps they're too young to know better? Gibson's on par with Demko imo, so long as he's a rock for them they'll be competitive. Could they slide? Sure, but enough for us to catch them? That'd require quite the slide. 

Hard to say, regardless of what the Canucks do they'll need the teams in front of them to lose. If these teams keep piling up points it'll negate some of what we do. It's not enough to stay in the mix, we've got to actually gain ground and we've struggled to do that lately. We're playing well, we've survived a tough stretch, but it may very well be too little too late. They climbed out of that hole, they've been resilient, there's lots to like. But they're still just hovering around .500. We'll see how this next month plays out. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I want in on this. What's the John Garrett game..

John Garrett:

• Comments on a Safeway feature product - 20 push-ups
  • Replies with just "Yes" - 10 push-ups
  • Makes a correction or call - 10 push-ups. If his call is correct - 10 push-ups
  • Mentions the Hartford Whalers - 10 push-ups
  • Says "It's one of those" - 10 push-ups
  • Says "In it goes" - 10 push-ups
  • Defends the goaltender - 10 push-ups
  • Calls out a goalie - 20 push-ups

Making a correction or a call was a little much, I think I ignored a bunch of those. 

My dad told me that I got fat over the last few months, so I gotta start playing this game during Canuck games :) 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

John Garrett:

• Comments on a Safeway feature product - 20 push-ups
  • Replies with just "Yes" - 10 push-ups
  • Makes a correction or call - 10 push-ups. If his call is correct - 10 push-ups
  • Mentions the Hartford Whalers - 10 push-ups
  • Says "It's one of those" - 10 push-ups
  • Says "In it goes" - 10 push-ups
  • Defends the goaltender - 10 push-ups
  • Calls out a goalie - 20 push-ups

Making a correction or a call was a little much, I think I ignored a bunch of those. 

My dad told me that I got fat over the last few months, so I gotta start playing this game during Canuck games :) 

I'm in. I can't do pushups due to concussion.

I will play along and do my concussion exercises next game..

46 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

If this play keeps happening, it ain’t gonna happen.

If his play continues like this and the points keep on racking up, his demands will be in the 8.5 million range. So even if we trade a lesser, we still will not be able to pay Boeser, Petey, and Bo long term. Not without either clearing OEL or Myers, which is not going to come free.

I am not saying what the answer is, just that something will have to give, which means, Boeser for prospects and picks, because we will not be able to pay anyone else anything worth, what we need to to get that RHD we need.

So, who goes? Boeser, Myers, or OEL? Just asking!

So, that brings me to my old math quiz.................

Is Miller greater than Boeser, and the assets gained by trading Miller? I do not know........Again, just asking!

• Vintage 2