The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all due respect, I think the consensus on this board that Miller is getting traded before the TDL and the Canucks aren't making the playoffs is highly premature

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

Rutherford was on McCown/Shannon's podcast and it's pretty clear that he doesn't see this team able to contend with how it's built.

He said:  'I would like to think that with the players we have, that this team can be retooled and that we can get it to a point that we get more comfortable with it over a 2 year period.  That we can get it to contend again.  But, I can't sit here and guarantee that's how long it's going to take.  Sometimes you get some good luck on some players and sometimes it doesn't work out.'

Talks of how they will be targeting college and European free agents.  Says their sales pitch to them will be that they can guarantee guys a spot on the team as it's not like they went to the finals.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, mll said:

Rutherford was on McCown/Shannon's podcast and it's pretty clear that he doesn't see this team able to contend with how it's built.

He said:  'I would like to think that with the players we have, that this team can be retooled and that we can get it to a point that we get more comfortable with it over a 2 year period.  That we can get it to contend again.  But, I can't sit here and guarantee that's how long it's going to take.  Sometimes you get some good luck on some players and sometimes it doesn't work out.'

Talks of how they will be targeting college and European free agents.  Says their sales pitch to them will be that they can guarantee guys a spot on the team as it's not like they went to the finals.

JR must not be a fan of Benning’s work. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Are there any high end, coveted college and European players? 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Aidan McDonough.  As for European players, that's why Allvin was hired...

I mean, he should sign with the Canucks right? Wasn’t he a seventh round pick? How good is Aidan going to be? Top six NHL forward?

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, he should sign with the Canucks right? Wasn’t he a seventh round pick? How good is Aidan going to be? Top six NHL forward?

Well if he's not signed by this summer, he probably walks.  He's best buddies with Bone, so if Bone is in JR's long term plans, then I think McDonough signs in the summer and comes to training camp.  I think he can play in the top 6, he'd be great on the PP.  Benning's last gift to the team.  With McDonough and Klimovich in the lineup I think you can trade Miller and Boeser.  Seems like that is the way it is heading with the Canucks chances of making the playoffs probably less than 10% right now and JR wanting to get younger.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well if he's not signed by this summer, he probably walks.  He's best buddies with Bone, so if Bone is in JR's long term plans, then I think McDonough signs in the summer and comes to training camp.  I think he can play in the top 6, he'd be great on the PP.  Benning's last gift to the team.  With McDonough and Klimovich in the lineup I think you can trade Miller and Boeser.  Seems like that is the way it is heading with the Canucks chances of making the playoffs probably less than 10% right now and JR wanting to get younger.

Why do you think McDonough can play in the top six? 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Are there any high end, coveted college and European players? 

Brandon Scanlin, Strauss Mann, Marc Mclaughlin and Akito Hirose would all be good college targets for the Canucks

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why do you think McDonough can play in the top six? 

He probably has mid 6 upside. Could eventually be a second liner.

11 hours ago, mll said:

Exactly how I interpreted JR;s comments when hired and why we should we be trading players, with Miller, being the first. Two years is optimal but realistically it could take 5 before we're there.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:04 AM, Harold Drunken said:

This isn't the place for logic and facts.....

Yea sometimes people look at points and say "oh yea look how close we are" well Calgary could go on a 4 game losing streak and still be 4 games up.  Or you know 2/4 games and go up 10 points.

But math and probabilities aren't always what people like to hear lol

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If we are still mediocre after 7 years of JB, who here believes we are a contender? JB’s goal seemed to be to squeak into the playoffs and see what happens. I believe what JR said about a team can’t be both cap constrained and not competitive.

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Regardless of who was in charge, it was always going to be an unfinished puzzle. 

Guessing he's a fan of having a solid core of Demko, Hughes, Pettersson and Horvat to build around (not to mention some nice young pieces like Podz, Hogs, Rathbone, Woo etc). And some pretty saleable assets like Miller. 

There's certainly still work to do to to finish the puzzle though.

• Cheers 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, aGENT said:

Regardless of who was in charge, it was always going to be an unfinished puzzle. 

Guessing he's a fan of having a solid core of Demko, Hughes, Pettersson and Horvat to build around (not to mention some nice young pieces like Podz, Hogs, Rathbone, Woo etc). And some pretty saleable assets like Miller. 

It for sure is a puzzle.   All the high picks took EDM two cores before they could make it work, and lucked out getting a franchise player in McDavid who is looking to be Crosby's heir ..... and Buffalo traded number two in Eichel lol....Rutherford mentioned luck - and for sure you have to be good to be lucky, but that also plays a part in this.    Team needs some lopsided trades to make it work with the core we've assembled, and a solid core coming up  behind them.   Sucks to go back to the start of all this and remind myself i felt it would take parts of two cores to get back to contending, but it still remains the most likely scenario.   Lindens teams amped it up come playoff time better then any we've had so far.   94-2011 ... 2028 still seems like the most plausible and leagues expanded since 2011...that's our historical cycle anyways.   Each time it takes a little longer....what JR and Allvin do next for sure will impact that. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

It for sure is a puzzle.   All the high picks took EDM two cores before they could make it work, and lucked out getting a franchise player in McDavid who is looking to be Crosby's heir ..... and Buffalo traded number two in Eichel lol....Rutherford mentioned luck - and for sure you have to be good to be lucky, but that also plays a part in this.    Team needs some lopsided trades to make it work with the core we've assembled, and a solid core coming up  behind them.   Sucks to go back to the start of all this and remind myself i felt it would take parts of two cores to get back to contending, but it still remains the most likely scenario.   Lindens teams amped it up come playoff time better then any we've had so far.   94-2011 ... 2028 still seems like the most plausible and leagues expanded since 2011...that's our historical cycle anyways.   Each time it takes a little longer....what JR and Allvin do next for sure will impact that. 

Yeah people forget that from 1989 (Linden's first game 7) to 1994, the team lost or traded all of Nedved, Janney, Larionov, Krutov, Snepsts, Reinhart, Butcher, Quinn, Smyl, Tanti, Skriko, Lidster, Barry Pederson, Bradley, Sandlak, etc.  They didn't just play fantasy hockey and keep adding piece after piece at no cost.

Also flirted with Gamble as the starter and may well have taken a decent trade offer for McLean around 1991.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, aGENT said:

Agreed on moving Miller for big payback I guess. I still don't want to, but I accept it.

The only issue I keep coming back to is how bad our Top 9 looks without him in it.

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

It absolutely relies on Petey and Boeser coming back into form. Both of whom have had most of their success with Miller around. If they both continue to play like 2nd/3rd liners, that's an awful lot of work to finish the puzzle.

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

It absolutely relies on Petey and Boeser coming back into form. Both of whom have had most of their success with Miller around. If they both continue to play like 2nd/3rd liners, that's an awful lot of work to finish the puzzle.

Petey especially, that was always the case. Our hopes rest on his, Hughes and Demko's shoulders, regardless of what happens with Miller.

If Petey doesn't return to form (I doubt it personally), this is going to take longer, no matter what.

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Petey especially, that was always the case. Our hopes rest on his, Hughes and Demko's shoulders, regardless of what happens with Miller.

If Petey doesn't return to form (I doubt it personally), this is going to take longer, no matter what.

Agreed, and that’s a dark outlook.

Its almost as if Benning’s tenure was tied directly toPetey (and Brock to a lesser extent).
He got lots of rope, but when they started to fall short, Benning’s obvious shortcomings became the focus rather than the backburning considerations.