The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

Just now, RakuRaku said:

Just grab a 2nd round pick for him and call it a day!!

But I still want Boeser traded first...

You get the impression now that we are just stuck with Boeser. He has been available all season and there hasn't even been a credible rumour of a team actually wanting him.

Even with van saying they will retain on him there's nothing. 

• Tanks a lot 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Garland has been really good btw. 

Perfect example yesterday, set up so many grade A chances! 

That’s why I’m kind of upset with this new management and their roster and cap management construction. They go out and spend 4.5 million on Mikheyev pushing decent guys down the depth chart. Then you’re playing guys like Boeser and Garland (capable too 6 guys) on the 3rd line and decide you want to trade them all while tanking their value because they’re not playing with our best players on a consistent basis. Money should have been spent on defence. They should have outbid the NJD for John Marino.

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

27th in the league why would we want picks!? 

Everyone is focused on picks. I'd rather have a player that we know can play in the league. Past the first 10 or 15 picks in the first round, the chances of getting a player who can make an impact, falls rapidly.

If we could get a young defenseman etc, would be much happier with that.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Everyone is focused on picks. I'd rather have a player that we know can play in the league. Past the first 10 or 15 picks in the first round, the chances of getting a player who can make an impact, falls rapidly.

Canucks did get some good picks - the 9th overall at the 2018 Draft (Kravtsov) and a coveted 2nd in 2021 (Raty) :bigblush:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks did get some good picks - the 9th overall at the 2018 Draft (Kravtsov) and a coveted 2nd in 2021 (Raty) :bigblush:

EXACTLY!!!

Young players with lots of upside.

The 9th for Kravtsov is also making my point that you can't always count on a draft pick to turn out, no matter where it is. 

Edited by VegasCanuck

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is true but we are also over the cap. Future picks could also still be flipped for the piece they desire. 

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

EXACTLY!!!

Young players with lots of upside.

The 9th for Kravtsov is also making my point that you can't always count on a draft pick to turn out, no matter where it is. 

Good reason to stack draft picks to significantly improve your odds of having prospects work out.

1 minute ago, brian42 said:

This is true but we are also over the cap. Future picks could also still be flipped for the piece they desire. 

Cap issue will be resolved primarily this summer, we will be trading guys like Myers out once his 5 million is paid.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

No way, get us a 2nd round pick... I want the next Woo, Gadjovich, Lind, Mallet, Rodin, Sauve or Ellington!!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

Good reason to stack draft picks to significantly improve your odds of having prospects work out.

If the fans ran this team, we would be in constant rebuild and would never progress past that. As soon as a guy starts to develop, fans on this board want to flip him for picks because we "might" get something better.

At some point, you need to commit to pushing through.

There are players on our team who need to be moved to clear space and some are going to get us draft picks, but our focus is getting young players who are ready to play in this league but may be trapped behind established players on their current team.

Look what Vegas did with that strategy when they built their team with the entry draft.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

No way, get us a 2nd round pick... I want the next Woo, Gadjovich, Lind, Mallet, Rodin, Sauve or Ellington!!!

We should go for firsts like Patrick White, Jordan Schroeder, Niklas Jensen or Nathan Smith imo.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

If the fans ran this team, we would be in constant rebuild and would never progress past that. As soon as a guy starts to develop, fans on this board want to flip him for picks because we "might" get something better.

At some point, you need to commit to pushing through.

There are players on our team who need to be moved to clear space and some are going to get us draft picks, but our focus is getting young players who are ready to play in this league but may be trapped behind established players on their current team.

Look what Vegas did with that strategy when they built their team with the entry draft.

Eh I'm not one of those fans looking for a constant flipping of guys with value. I just firmly believe the only way to compete for the cup over multiple years in the NHL is through the draft, and I also agree with you that draft picks don't always work out, so I'd like to see the team lean into where we are at in the standings right now and try to draft as much as possible in 2023 and 2024. We don't have to tear the team down and can actually try to make playoffs next year if we load up on some extra 2024 picks right now. Easy to say, not easy to do, so I'm not advocating myself as some wizard of how this is all done, just seems to me that's the most logical direction right now.

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

But the picks could be used to acquire the right player from the right team...the team that wants Garland may not have the player needed but have the picks. Worked well with the Horvat trade in terms of getting a top end RHD

Just now, 5nothincanucksohno said:

But the picks could be used to acquire the right player from the right team...the team that wants Garland may not have the player needed but have the picks. Worked well with the Horvat trade in terms of getting a top end RHD

As long as there's a solution or plan in place to do that. Look at the article with Quinn Hughes in the Province.

This team is closer to competing that most people think. I'm actually pretty happy with the moves that we've made, would like to see one or two more before noon. Would like to see us move Miller if the return is worth it.