The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

Hronek was injured, so he wasn’t going to be available for them if they kept him or not. And they also just got demolished by the Senators, so Yzerman publicly stated the team wasn’t ready to compete yet.

There is a lot of data out there that suggests Hronek is a very good defenseman. He could be exactly what this team needs: someone who can anchor the 2nd pair, move the puck efficiently, and help the team not get caved in whenever Hughes is on the bench. I’m cautiously optimistic.

As for the price to acquire him, it doesn’t seem much more than what we paid for Gudbranson. The same data suggested he was not good - and it proved to be right. And as for the expected cost to retain him, I’d rather the team pay a very good D-man $6M than Myers.

there's also a lot of data out there that suggest hronek isn't matched up against other teams top players and he was only good when paired with matta.. he's a very good offensive defenceman.. him and QH on the defence will give the canucks a lot of firepower.. but again offence is not the problem.. limiting other teams offence is.. and how often do you see teams make a big trade for an injured player?? especially one that was likely to be injured till almost the end of the season? if not the rest of the season? he doesn't have the track record or pedigree of a jack eichel it's a massive risk he might not even come back the same with his shoulder injury.. and you think he's going to sign for 6mil? 40 points in 60 games RD and he's very good defensively as you guys claim. hughes is not really a comparable because he signed his so early into his career and by the time his contract is over he's not even going to bein his peak prime years yet.. so the well hughes is signed for 7.85mil so therefore hronek will only get 6. Hughes is a bargain if he signed a bridge instead he'd be in the 9.5mil range easily. for hronek's production he'd be easily looking at 7+ that is if he's willing to sign here and will all depends on how he looks production wise without the pp1 mins and who knows what chaos we have as his partner. OEL looks like the default partner for him assuming he's back next season.. and again both players are similar role.. puck moving offensive defenseman.. probably wont end up well. literally OEL Hughes and Hronek all are better served with a more defensive minded partner.. we dont exactly have any of that as a LD or RD.. OEL struggled playing the defensive defenceman role partnered with myers.. he's probably going to struggle playing that role with hronek coz simply that's not his style.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

there's also a lot of data out there that suggest hronek isn't matched up against other teams top players and he was only good when paired with matta.. he's a very good offensive defenceman.. him and QH on the defence will give the canucks a lot of firepower.. but again offence is not the problem.. limiting other teams offence is.. and how often do you see teams make a big trade for an injured player?? especially one that was likely to be injured till almost the end of the season? if not the rest of the season? he doesn't have the track record or pedigree of a jack eichel it's a massive risk he might not even come back the same with his shoulder injury.. and you think he's going to sign for 6mil? 40 points in 60 games RD and he's very good defensively as you guys claim. hughes is not really a comparable because he signed his so early into his career and by the time his contract is over he's not even going to bein his peak prime years yet.. so the well hughes is signed for 7.85mil so therefore hronek will only get 6. Hughes is a bargain if he signed a bridge instead he'd be in the 9.5mil range easily. for hronek's production he'd be easily looking at 7+ that is if he's willing to sign here and will all depends on how he looks production wise without the pp1 mins and who knows what chaos we have as his partner. OEL looks like the default partner for him assuming he's back next season.. and again both players are similar role.. puck moving offensive defenseman.. probably wont end up well. literally OEL Hughes and Hronek all are better served with a more defensive minded partner.. we dont exactly have any of that as a LD or RD.. OEL struggled playing the defensive defenceman role partnered with myers.. he's probably going to struggle playing that role with hronek coz simply that's not his style.

Defensemen that produce offence like Hronek and are also effective shut-down guys are not available for trade. Those are franchise defensemen.

I believe effective team defence includes the ability for your D to be able to quickly and efficiently move the puck out of your zone. Hughes is a great example of this. He doesn’t hit, block, box-out, or do almost anything typical of a “defensive defenseman” all that well, and yet his defensive impact is fantastic.

IMO, not being able to move the puck well was the main failing of our 2nd and 3rd pairs. Hronek potentially fixes that on the 2nd pair. We still need more positional/defensive guys to pair him and Hughes with, but those players are usually easier to acquire.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

18 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Defensemen that produce offence like Hronek and are also effective shut-down guys are not available for trade. Those are franchise defensemen.

I believe effective team defence includes the ability for your D to be able to quickly and efficiently move the puck out of your zone. Hughes is a great example of this. He doesn’t hit, block, box-out, or do almost anything typical of a “defensive defenseman” all that well, and yet his defensive impact is fantastic.

IMO, not being able to move the puck well was the main failing of our 2nd and 3rd pairs. Hronek potentially fixes that on the 2nd pair. We still need more positional/defensive guys to pair him and Hughes with, but those players are usually easier to acquire.

usually easier to acquire. we've been looking for a partner for hughes ever since tanev. our defence is small, our forward ain't exactly big either. we dont need a team defence full of redundant skill set players. Hughes Hronek and OEL are all puck moving offence first player with the former 2 being small and tiny and we have OEL converted into a role he's not comfortable in.. a defensive defenceman paired with Myers. OEL have looked the best in a vancouver uniform when Hughes was injured playing in hughes role.. he have looked god awful paired with myers being the more defensive player of the 2.

our priority was to find a defensively sound defenceman that can play in the top 4 not another offensive defenceman that requires a defensive d partner. i personally dont think OEL will work as his partner because he'll be in the same role as he was playing with myers.. and we are probably going to end up looking for a partner that you claim are usually easier to acquire for hughes and hronek

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

usually easier to acquire. we've been looking for a partner for hughes ever since tanev. our defence is small, our forward ain't exactly big either. we dont need a team defence full of redundant skill set players. Hughes Hronek and OEL are all puck moving offence first player with the former 2 being small and tiny and we have OEL converted into a role he's not comfortable in.. a defensive defenceman paired with Myers. OEL have looked the best in a vancouver uniform when Hughes was injured playing in hughes role.. he have looked god awful paired with myers being the more defensive player of the 2.

our priority was to find a defensively sound defenceman that can play in the top 4 not another offensive defenceman that requires a defensive d partner. i personally dont think OEL will work as his partner because he'll be in the same role as he was playing with myers.. and we are probably going to end up looking for a partner that you claim are usually easier to acquire for hughes and hronek

I thought OEL played the defensive role quite well in his first season in Vancouver. I mean…he made Myers look decent - that’s quite an accomplishment!

Of course, he was hot garbage in his 2nd year, but the team seems to think that is related to the foot injury he suffered at the Worlds last year. The coach seems confident that he’ll return much stronger next season. If he plays anything like he did last year, I think he’ll be a good partner for Hronek.

As for Hughes, I don’t think it matters that much who they pair him with - he’s that good. Schenn was good in that role, but Hughes didn’t miss a beat when he left either. I think the team should treat him like Tampa treats Hedman - he’s been playing with undervalued young guys for years (Ruuta, and now Perbix). Maybe they can leverage the opportunity to play with Hughes into getting a favourable contract from a guy like Mayfield or Gudas (or even Schenn again). But if not, maybe Johansson, Juulsen, or even Woo can fill that role on the cheap?

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I thought OEL played the defensive role quite well in his first season in Vancouver. I mean…he made Myers look decent - that’s quite an accomplishment!

Of course, he was hot garbage in his 2nd year, but the team seems to think that is related to the foot injury he suffered at the Worlds last year. The coach seems confident that he’ll return much stronger next season. If he plays anything like he did last year, I think he’ll be a good partner for Hronek.

As for Hughes, I don’t think it matters that much who they pair him with - he’s that good. Schenn was good in that role, but Hughes didn’t miss a beat when he left either. I think the team should treat him like Tampa treats Hedman - he’s been playing with undervalued young guys for years (Ruuta, and now Perbix). Maybe they can leverage the opportunity to play with Hughes into getting a favourable contract from a guy like Mayfield or Gudas (or even Schenn again). But if not, maybe Johansson, Juulsen, or even Woo can fill that role on the cheap?

unless they are capable of moving out cap prior to july 1st.. which is highly unlikely we ain't getting anyone to play with hughes. and none of the guys from within is capable of playing in a top 4 role let alone the minutes hughes plays 5v5.. can you foresee any of the johansson juulsen woo playing on the top pairing with hughes? those guys maybe good for 10-12mins a game.. so who's playing the other 8-10mins with hughes? i didn't think OEL looked great in his first year he was adequate. Myers probably regressed another year as did OEL this season hence they look exponentially bad. OEL is another year older and dealing with injuries and again expected to play a role that is nothing remotely close to what he's known for. we keep jamming square pegs in round holes and hoping it will magically work or be just adequate. OEL have been regressing every year since his arizona days. i dont see that changing and him reinventing himself. he'll probably have success playing in the 3rd pairing which is not a bad thing if we can find 2 players that can play with hughes and hronek.. but given the cap situation probably wont happen unless they can magically move myers prior to his bonus or even able to move him at all. and by then all free agents will be gone. sure you can go over the cap in the off season.. but who's going to take ur cap dump knowing you are well over the cap and all of a sudden instead of costing a 2nd to say move a myers or garland.. people will ask for a 1st. 

If you’re a team looking to upgrade at RW, these are the UFA options, most of whom are in their 30’s. Like every year, the best of these will be re-signed before July 1.

Once the first wave of UFA signings are complete, there should be several trade options with more competitive returns.

There will also be several new management groups looking to shake things up.

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

Edited by Kenny Powers

I think we’d be crazy to trade him.

Watching these playoffs and he’s exactly the type of player you want if that’s the goal. He may be small but he goes to the net hard and drives D men crazy.

Beauviller or Boeser are replaceable players. Garly has that extra something in his tank.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Watching these playoffs and he’s exactly the type of player you want if that’s the goal. He may be small but he goes to the net hard and drives D men crazy.

Beauviller or Boeser are replaceable players. Garly has that extra something in his tank.

I love watching Garland when he’s on his game. But he wasn’t as engaged this past season. Maybe all the losing is getting to him.

Either way, agree that I’d rather move Beau/Boe than Garland.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If we could trade Garland and Beauviller and replace them with Barbashev I’d be all over that.  He’s been a beast in the playoffs and is a Gold Star client, so he could replace Kravtsov in the lineup.  

Ship Garland and Beauviller to Chicago and switch 11OA for 19OA and Chicago adds a 2nd round pick as well and I’d do that deal.  If they take Tucker Poolman as well then it’s a home run trade…

21 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

To be fair, OEL/Myers wasn't "god awful" his first season.   10-11th in the league isn't bad.  It is tough to analyze somewhat considering the Bruce bump, but they weren't the reason the team was failing under Green either.   That had a lot more to do with a bunch of guys in the top six, aside from Miller and Garland, who were snake bitten and or playing poorly.    

Do agree that OEL did very well moving up the lineup when when QHs missed some games.   That's hopefully what you get for the price we paid (depth).   Last year OEL stunk it up, wasn't playing as physical, wouldn't block a shot etc ... for the teams sake let's hope that has a lot to do with his ankle, and he comes back in the best shape of his life.    The OEL we had the first year was ok.    Last year ugh.    Also agree that finding those defensive minded hard nosed defenders aren't that easy either.   Manson.  Was pining for him for years, truly wish we traded with ANA instead for him and not OEL.   Sure they would have taken that package (9th) plus something.     It's also why I hope they re-sign Schenn. 

As for Hronek.    Won't be harping on that trade until we actually get to watch him play.    Who knows maybe he's really good for us.   Or maybe just average.   Average is still better than crapolla. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/blackhawks-and-canucks-linked-in-monster-draft-day-trade

Supposed potential draft day trade.

Not sure why the Canucks would view Garland as a cap dump. If they are going to sweeten any trades to move cap it should be for Myers.

It's interesting to see what people outside of the this fanbase think.   It's likely more accurate than we'd like to believe.   Garland and our 11th, for the 19th and a second.     Would you do Myers instead?    If it's their second, it would be something like 19th and 35th.   We could be giving up on a solid player ... young one at that.   Not sure that either deal is going to work out.    Always been a strong proponent of letting the cap shed naturally.   Alvin did state he wants to get a second back this draft ... this for sure would be one way of doing that. 

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

I love watching Garland when he’s on his game. But he wasn’t as engaged this past season. Maybe all the losing is getting to him.

Either way, agree that I’d rather move Beau/Boe than Garland.

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'd move all three personally, or at least two of them. 

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's interesting to see what people outside of the this fanbase think.   It's likely more accurate than we'd like to believe.   Garland and our 11th, for the 19th and a second.     Would you do Myers instead?    If it's their second, it would be something like 19th and 35th.   We could be giving up on a solid player ... young one at that.   Not sure that either deal is going to work out.    Always been a strong proponent of letting the cap shed naturally.   Alvin did state he wants to get a second back this draft ... this for sure would be one way of doing that. 

I agree, ride this year out. Try and sign EP and start planning for the long-term

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, DeNiro said:

Beuvillier has two playoff years under his belt where he performed very well and showed he has an extra gear 

just saying out of those three he’d be my most expected to perform well 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Beuvillier has two playoff years under his belt where he performed very well and showed he has an extra gear 

just saying out of those three he’d be my most expected to perform well 

I think Boeser is the odd man out. He’s also a good fit for Chicago.