The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

4 hours ago, mll said:

In part to create cap space but Garland should bring back a decent return.  Smyl again echoed Rutherford this week saying that cap space is a big issue and that they need to fix that to be able to move forward.

Boudreau has a puck mover at the top of his wish list.  When Rutherford replaced Johnston with Sullivan he blamed himself for not bringing in enough puck movers.  Pittsburgh didn't allow many goals against but felt that their lack of mobility limited their offence.  He traded for Daley and Schultz who wasn't known for his defensive play and they went on to win the Cup that season.  

We can trade so many other players like Dickenson, Pearson, Poolman and Miller/Boeser to create the cap room. I don't buy that narrative at all that's the reason we are looking to trade him. We actually have someone on a good contract but no lets get rid of him cause we need cap space. 

I'd rather give Rathbone 20 games to end the season here (over Hunt) and see what he can do under an actual NHL coach. I think everyone is gonna be surprised a just how good Rathbone might be. I think Green's system really hurt players like him. 

Point is any Garland trade now IMO is a short-sighted and panic move. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Outsiders said:

We can trade so many other players like Dickenson, Pearson, Poolman and Miller/Boeser to create the cap room. I don't buy that narrative at all that's the reason we are looking to trade him. We actually have someone on a good contract but no lets get rid of him cause we need cap space. 

I'd rather give Rathbone 20 games to end the season here (over Hunt) and see what he can do under an actual NHL coach. I think everyone is gonna be surprised a just how good Rathbone might be. I think Green's system really hurt players like him. 

Unless they get a killer deal, I don't see it.  On the other hand, they might not feel the same way about CG as Benning did.

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2022/02/02/nhl-trade-talk-bruins-back-in-on-garland-canucks-love-lysell/

Yes please. I'm not a fan of the idea of trading Garland because grumble grumble Dylan Guenther, but I would seriously consider a trade surrounded Lysell. Was a big fan of his and expected him to be a 10-15 pick. Picking up Lysell would really help the prospect cupboard bounce back a bit, ideally with another pick attached coming out way as well.

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2022/02/02/nhl-trade-talk-bruins-back-in-on-garland-canucks-love-lysell/

Yes please. I'm not a fan of the idea of trading Garland because grumble grumble Dylan Guenther, but I would seriously consider a trade surrounded Lysell. Was a big fan of his and expected him to be a 10-15 pick. Picking up Lysell would really help the prospect cupboard bounce back a bit, ideally with another pick attached coming out way as well.

Love to see Lysell as a Canuck!

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

As would I. Gotta imagine that Canucks brass have been seeing a fair amount of him in their spare time with him ripping it up on the Giants this year. I wonder if we could get Lysell and a 1st for Garland?

I doubt that.  Either the 1st or Lysell… addition required tho

If the goal is cap relief 

Lysell 2nd

Holtz 2nd

Kravtsov 2nd

Then there’s some room for a potential Miller deal to take salary…. Or to use in offseason. 

Edited by 70seven

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Any chance getting Carlo?

Garland + Poolman for Carlo + 3rd?

Might have some chance of Garland + Poolman for Carlo + Debrusk. But we probably have to add as Carlo's worth more than Garland and Debrusk/Poolman largely cancel each other out.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

If we are to trade garland it isn't for cap reasons as it would be with boeser. 

It would because he small and even though he's Feisty doesn't punish anyone. 

It's a long standing complaint around here that we are to soft and he's a good trade chip. 

And Rathbone needs to be brought up only if we're out of the playoff picture.

Edited by erkayloomeh