The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's what I would think... Nylander is faster and arguably more skilled which fits the mantra JR/PA are going for.  Boeser's shot is inherently better, but it hasn't looked that way in a long time.

I'd take Nylander in a heartbeat, which is something I didn't think I'd say a couple of years ago

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'd take Nylander in a heartbeat, which is something I didn't think I'd say a couple of years ago

Totally.  Does he float a bit at times?  Yep, but his skill and speed is something we definitely want.  If he had the work ethic and drive of JT Miller, he would be a 35 to 40 goal scorer that puts up a PPG+.  I feel like Nylander is this generation's Kovalev lol

11 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Listen... I like Garland as much as the next guy but you aren't getting Noah Dobson for him, let's get that out of our heads right now.

Dobson is pretty much untouchable for NYI.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

We need a deadline guessing game. Not what you want to happen but will actually happen.

Over under on trades at 2.5?

Under.  I see 2 trades. None involving Miller.

I just don't get the sense that they want to trade Miller. I am a proponent of trading Miller for a retool, but they should just do it in the summer after opening negotiation with Bo's camp and Miller's camp to get an accurate sense of their demands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T.Demko said:

That is usually how it is for any high profile player until the deadline.  Both teams playing hardball and seeing who flinches first.  Also, rightfully so, we should set a very high price and not trade Miller for less than what he is worth.

Doesn't mean there won't be any trades at TDL.  Just strictly posturing until the last second, and seeing who is more desperate.

I understand. I think there will be trades but I just don't get the sense that it will include Miller. I'll be shocked if he is traded (and happy because that means some team caved in).

Price is too high and Canucks don't have a reason to lower the ask. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Listen... I like Garland as much as the next guy but you aren't getting Noah Dobson for him, let's get that out of our heads right now.

For sure. I'm not suggesting that we can get Dobson for him but trading Garland just doesn't make sense unless such young player is coming back our way.

5 mil for 4 more years for a player that owns the puck in the offensive zone, gets shot on net, plays hard, and will produce 60+ points given prime PP time.

One of the best bargain deals of the NHL along with Miller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Leafs need to retain some salary on Nylander, if it’s for Garland. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Under.  I see 2 trades. None involving Miller.

I just don't get the sense that they want to trade Miller. I am a proponent of trading Miller for a retool, but they should just do it in the summer after opening negotiation with Bo's camp and Miller's camp to get an accurate sense of their demands.

I don’t think they trade Miller either.

Motte, Halak, and I think a dman. Miller or Brock at the draft.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

We need a deadline guessing game. Not what you want to happen but will actually happen.

Over under on trades at 2.5?

I'll take the under. 2 trades. One major, one minor.

I see Boeser being moved, probably to either NJ or Pitts, and I see someone like Schenn being moved to TO for D depth. Miller stays put for now. 

4 hours ago, khay said:

For sure. I'm not suggesting that we can get Dobson for him but trading Garland just doesn't make sense unless such young player is coming back our way.

5 mil for 4 more years for a player that owns the puck in the offensive zone, gets shot on net, plays hard, and will produce 60+ points given prime PP time.

One of the best bargain deals of the NHL along with Miller.

Boudreau seems to imply he's a 3rd liner.  He was on Kyper & Bourne and talking about Pettersson said: 'I've been playing him with 3rd line guys for the most part.  He  makes them better.  He's not playing with a Marner.  He's playing with Höglander and Garland'.

Garland has 13pts in 26 games under Boudreau - 0.5 pt/g playing 15:40.   That contract doesn't feel all that efficient under Boudreau.    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Boudreau seems to imply he's a 3rd liner.  He was on Kyper & Bourne and talking about Pettersson said: 'I've been playing him with 3rd line guys for the most part.  He  makes them better.  He's not playing with a Marner.  He's playing with Höglander and Garland'.

Garland has 13pts in 26 games under Boudreau - 0.5 pt/g playing 15:40.   That contract doesn't feel all that efficient under Boudreau.    

It is interesting to hear Boudreau's take on Garland but 0.5 pt/g without prime PP time is a 3rd liner?

I guess it makes sense... Boudreau coached elite 1st line forwards in the past (Ovi, Backstrom, Getzlaf, etc).

They should've asked him, does Canucks have a first line forward? By his standard, Canucks don't have a first liner.

1 minute ago, khay said:

It is interesting to hear Boudreau's take on Garland but 0.5 pt/g without prime PP time is a 3rd liner?

I guess it makes sense... Boudreau coached elite 1st line forwards in the past (Ovi, Backstrom, Getzlaf, etc).

They should've asked him, does Canucks have a first line forward? By his standard, Canucks don't have a first liner.

He was asked about superstars and answered that they didn't have a bonafide superstar but Hughes was going to get there in time.  He thinks Pettersson has the potential to become one and that's when he pointed out that he was playing him mostly with 3rd liners.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

How does that open up more cap space for us though?  That's the main problem with any of these                        Canuck for Nylander or Marner proposals.

I didn't have any specific proposal in mind, just that I'd take him.any day.  

10 hours ago, mll said:

I'm hoping that the management team isn't building this team around what BB wants as he won't be here all that long.

• Cheers 2