The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Yeah I don't think anything could have been done at that point to prevent the Gaudreau shot. Miller's momentum took him way out of the play.

But if there had been a rebound or whatever and the play kept going, then yes his waddling back to the bench could have cost us.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah I don't think anything could have been done at that point to prevent the Gaudreau shot. Miller's momentum took him way out of the play.

But if there had been a rebound or whatever and the play kept going, then yes his waddling back to the bench could have cost us.

^^^^  This.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It's a poorly constructed roster, coaching can't fix that.

Little offense from defense, no bottom-6 to speak of, top-6 players take turns taking nights off.

Aggregate talent on paper is decent, it'll win some games, especially considering how good goaltending has been for most of the season.

But there are massive holes; you are what your record says you are.

The guy who built this team kept taking shortcuts... this is the result.

Total BS!

Where were you saying this after the Winnipeg game?

It is a team in transition..........it is a fringe Playoff team at best

Live with those realities, and let JR do his job............

And stop jumping on and off the bandwagon so much......geesh!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Pettersson and Boeser play too much of a perimeter game, which was further exacerbated by Green’s dump and chase system. I’ve seen subtle improvements, noticeably Petey, in zone entries under Bruce, I think the biggest underlying issue is the fact that we don’t have a playmaker on our team.

You look at other teams, they’ve got Gaudreau, Connor, Marner and Matthews, McDick, Panarin, Zegras, Kane etc, all of them are playmakers with the exception of Matthews that are able to use their elite puck skills to create space for themselves and to find their respective triggerman to hand over the puck too upon zone entry. 

We don’t have any of that. Pettersson and Boeser are too passive, they need someone to get the puck to them in order for them to be effective offensively. Horvat plays more of a North-South game but isn’t the type of guy that demands the puck at all times in the offensive zone. Miller creates chances off of opportunities rather than set plays. 

We need a playmaker, an offensive player who’s sole purpose is to create chances for his teammates. 

Agree with that 100%. Every Ovechkin needs a Backstrom.

The problem is we’ve tied so much money into players that can’t make plays offensively. We seriously need to cut a bunch of cap space and acquire the right players.

Right now we have a bunch of “snipers” who don’t have anyone to get them the puck.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

Which makes me question the poise and drive of our top players.

Like they need to hate losing so much that they do whatever it takes to get the puck to the net and bang one home.

They simply looked happy going through the motions and causally skating it up the ice. 

I’ve seen the word culture thrown around a lot with Rutherford. That’s definitely something that needs to be looked at this offseason.

We can’t have players that only play hard when they want to. We need players that will go all out to win every game. I’m not seeing that amongst the core group of this team outside of a handful of players.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are young & gaining experience. 

Petey has been a star for a few years now (and Hughes), but I don't think expectations were ever at the level we had originally expected this team could hit. 

In normal circumstances they rely on finesse to get it done but your right, sometimes you need to be simple. Maybe it hasn't been ingrained in them yet that the finesse way sometimes needs to take a backseat when things aren't clicking. (Like good/experienced teams seem to figure out)

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Ah well a loser point, shame Demko deserved better, but it wasn't happening for them tonight you could clearly see that....new GM has plenty of work ahead of him... 

How many great goalie performances have been wasted this season because of lack of offense?

I swear we’d be in a playoff position had we gotten one more goal in a handful of games.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think it's time to move on from Dickinson.

I was debating this with @rekker recently. He's got some nice attributes & has played a little better but I agree with JPats assessment it just hasn't clicked.

Maybe you even do it b/c your worried about his contract being hard to move if he sticks around struggling. 

12 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think there are times when a coach calls out a player and times when he has the wisdom not to.  HOw does a guy like miller get called out for something like that ( when he's played his guts out for this team all year) 

And a guy like Pettersson not get called out when the effort isn't there.  Noone can tell me EP giving 100%.  

Miller's giving 100% (except for about 4 seconds)

Sorry, doesn't add up. I'm sticking up for Miller 100% tonight. 

Called out for something like that?

BB has no wisdom in your opinion?

BB didn't call out Miller, he answered honestly about Miller in OT and said it is something he will discuss with him later, He didn't go ballistic on air about his play, he just answered honestly (and how many times have you heard a player they just want a coach to be honest with them)?

Fans want a honest response from the coach too

What would you like the professional coach to say differently? (Green tried different)

You want him to coddle them and create a country club atmosphere where we only discuss good things , and ignore reality and mistakes

Again he wasn't calling out or crapping on Miller

Listen to his interview he never threw anyone under the bus and mentioned they will find out why the effort wasn't there from everyone tomorrow

He wasn't asked about EP that i recall

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Maginator said:

I was there. It would have been too many men. Don't blame the guys on the bench, blame Miller. Selfish, selfish play. It was actually disgusting. I paid money for that crap.

As long as the player coming on to the ice doesn't actually touch a Flame or the puck until JT clears the rulebook states that "a bench minor penalty may be assessed" for an illegal substitution. The Flames were jumping line changes all night but because the players coming in were never touching the puck or a Canuck while they had too many skaters they kept getting away with it even though they were blatantly gaining an advantage from it.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I was debating this with @rekker recently. He's got some nice attributes & has played a little better but I agree with JPats assessment it just hasn't clicked.

Maybe you even do it b/c your worried about his contract being hard to move if he sticks around struggling. 

It's kind of similar to Nate Schmidt's case, I wouldn't be surprised if it works out for him elsewhere on a different team, if he gets moved.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Agree with that 100%. Every Ovechkin needs a Backstrom.

The problem is we’ve tied so much money into players that can’t make plays offensively. We seriously need to cut a bunch of cap space and acquire the right players.

Right now we have a bunch of “snipers” who don’t have anyone to get them the puck.

Problem is, when our "snipers" get the puck they can't hit the net for most of the time

These same "snipers" waste pp time trying to be playmakers instead of being mobile and just shooting like BB has gone public saying that's what he wants them to do

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think it's time to move on from Dickinson.

I remember when you blew your cork lost your patience with GM MG. Even used his middle name fuming? My memory was he only lasted a day or three...

It is telling when u take a position Vintage!  :blush:

1 hour ago, canuckspride said:

I sure do miss the hockey night in Canada theme song. It was as iconic as the cornation street song during my childhood. 

Yes I miss that song as well.  It defined Hockey Night in Canada.  It was like the national anthem of hockey. 

Another song I miss greatly is the one that they used to play before each playoff series.  It started back in the 90’s I believe.  It was called “The Chance May Never Come Again”.  I used to tune in to the beginning of the broadcast just to listen to that song as it gave me goosebumps prior to each series.  Here is one version of it if some of you have never heard it before:

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Actually their record under him is 11-4-4.

Win next game and they’ve only lost 4 times in regulation in 20 games.

Continue at that pace and we make the playoffs.

Thats a 0.68 points percent. If we started the season with Bruce, we'd be 1st in the division and around 7th in the NHL.

We have stalled lately because that long winning streak beefed up those numbers but we have to string some wins together again and not sink back into Green territory.