The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canadiens fire Dominique Ducharme, name Martin St. Louis as interim head coach

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As per a friend who is a Habs fan, they were running the same risk we were with Green of causing permanent damage to their young players.  He'll be very happy with this.

You think the damage done by Green is permanent? I hope not.

But yeah, I'm glad he is gone. He should have been fired last season with that record, a last place finish in the North division.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

You think the damage done by Green is permanent? I hope not.

But yeah, I'm glad he is gone. He should have been fired last season with that record, a last place finish in the North division.

I think if he'd been allowed to coach the rest of the year it could have been.  He's definitely caused permanent damage thanks to the disastrous training camp cuts.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This was caused by the grossly over performing run to the cup combined with the inevitable decline/injuries to aging players - their franchise was set up perfectly for a colossal down-turn.  Neither ownership nor management (nor many fans for that matter) accurately gauged the actual level of the club - they were both blinded by 'their run' and this is the result. 

They should be looking at a full-on fire-sale at the TDL of any assets of any value and/or any assets willing to waive their clauses.  You keep Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle and the rest........

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

why bother? 

Just wait for the offseason. 

That was initially the plan but the situation was getting worse by the day that they had to do something.  Petry from the get go has been vocal about how they had no system.  Montreal media has continued to talk of how poorly coached the team has been under Ducharme.  The risk is creating such a negative atmosphere that it hurts the confidence and development of their young players.    

Again today before the announcement Basu wrote:  "The coaching deficiencies on this team appear to be a very real impediment to what Hughes hopes to create over the second half of the season. That atmosphere of hockey being fun. When Anderson says it is not fun to come to the rink, that hockey is not fun, that should be a serious red flag."

There's no reason to go another half a season with players being just miserable.  Even if they are out of the playoffs they can continue to teach and develop players but they need a more positive environment.

Edited by mll

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

why bother? 

Just wait for the offseason. 

Because you don't want a bad coach causing permanent damage to the players.  Look at how long it's taken to restore Petey's confidence now that he's playing under an actual NHL coach.  Gorton has likely seen enough to not be willing to take that risk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Trivia question: When was the last time a head coach was fired in the following season after making the Stanley Cup Final in the previous season?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I think it was Michel Therrien who was fired after the Penguins lost to the Red Wings in the 07-08 final.

Edited by Mikey2Dope

4 minutes ago, mll said:

That was initially the plan but the situation was getting worse by the day that they had to do something.  Petry from the get go has been vocal about how they had no system.  Montreal media has continued to talk of how poorly coached the team has been under Ducharme.  The risk is creating such a negative atmosphere that it hurts the confidence and development of their young players.    

Again today before the announcement Basu wrote:  "The coaching deficiencies on this team appear to be a very real impediment to what Hughes hopes to create over the second half of the season. That atmosphere of hockey being fun. When Anderson says it is not fun to come to the rink, that hockey is not fun, that should be a serious red flag."

There's no reason to go another half a season with players being just miserable.  Even if they are out of the playoffs they can continue to teach and develop players but they need a more positive environment.

Yeah you really get that sense that the fun has been sucked out of it for them. Two of their players have had to step away for mental health issues recently as well which could have been the result of pressure from the city and negative work environment. You could see something similar for the Canucks at the begging of this season, where everyone kinda looked miserable.