The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Feb. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DeNiro said:

I know he gets frustrated when the media asks about his weight at the beginning of each season but he needs to realize that’s the next step he needs to take.

Adding 10 lbs of muscle could make a world of difference.

Just look at Forsberg after he gained some muscle. Turned from almost an afterthought in the Lindros trade to one of the most dominant players we've ever seen.
Pettersson at least tries to be physical and screen the goalie. He would be so much better at that if he had some size. 
Maybe part of his frustration is that he hasn't been healthy much of the offseason. But I hope it's a step he takes.

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

What you don't see in the highlight is Petey giving up the body to draw a Shark to him before delivering a perfect pass to JT. Petey was quietly very good tonight, and I thought his line was almost there on a few chances. 

Yeah, Peteys hitting the dirty areas and he sounded very relaxed and confident in his interview.

Best one in a long time.

Putting him now with Garland and Pearson is good timing IMO. Him and Garly have chemistry and should give those Ducks nothing to quack about tomorrow!

GCG!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know he gets frustrated when the media asks about his weight at the beginning of each season but he needs to realize that’s the next step he needs to take.

Adding 10 lbs of muscle could make a world of difference.

The local media needs to stfu and leave the kid alone.  Common knowledge, yes - I realize most local media has no knowledge whatsoever - tells us that the average male doesn't reach full muscular maturity until approximately age 25-30 so Petey isn't even close to his physical prime yet, and you can't rush that - at least you can't if you want to stay healthy that is. 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

You're kinda just deflecting now and changing subjects. 

Maybe explain to me how Getting Poolman back in the lineup will help. And explain how getting Sutter back will help, a player who hasn't played all season and will be a free agent this summer and will not be back with the team. 

There is zero evidence so far this season to say "this is for sure a playoff team".. what's this based on. And don't say "If Bruce was the coach from the beginning it would be different" because nobody knows that. You are looking at the record only, know how or why they won the games they've won. I've mentioned many times this team has indeed played better under BB, but that doesn't mean they are a playoff team and the bar was so low to begin with. 

Poolman is a solid player so he will ofcourse help. 

As much as Schenn made me eat my words this year, Poolman is the better dman. 

It gives Vancouver the option to play Schenn on nights where they need a bigger more physical body vs another night when they need a little more speed on defense. 

With Lammiko line clicking, we xan effectively load up the top 2 lines and have Sutter centering the 3rs line because Dickinson has been terrible on draws and has been a better winger in general than a centre. 

I think anytime you get 2 starters nack on the team, idea is that the team should improve no? 

That being said, the biggeat improvements are going to come from all our stars pretty much coming back from having covid and no longer missing games. Improvement will come from petey and Brock improving their play. 

Improvement (at least in results) will come from having an easier schedule than the  stretch of last 16 games you referred to. 

I was wrong. BB hasnt coached 32 games. He's coached 25 and the record is 15-6-4 which is fricking incredible. Thats a 111 pt pace. 

So yeah even if we discount some of the initial BB wins as a coaching bump, do you honestly think they cant put up 94 pts in a full season with BB? 

This is 100 percent a playoff team had BB been the coach at thes tart of training camp. 

The only crappy loss in that 6 regulation losses was against NYI. 

The remaining were

Fla

Carolina 

Tampa 

Nash

Stl

We outplayed Florida Tampa and STL in those losses but were running with a really thin lineup. 

We also took flames and oilers to OT with a thin lineup. 

Im eager to watch the next stretch of games with most of our guys back. 

I know i might be setting myself up for disappointment but if our guys  dont show well against Anaheim tomorrow, that's when I'll get worried. 

2 days rest, home crowd, most of our players back playong a team we are chasing. There is no excuse not to show up. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1

Taken from a discussion on the league wide weekly GDT

in regards to L.A. at Vegas tonight

Yet the Canucks have only gained 1 point on them in the last 10 games.

It would stink if the Canucks get almost into the play offs, but fall 2 points short.

Get a poor draft slot.

The middle is no place to be.

would have a play off spot, if they sacked Green earlier; however I don't think they get out of the first round, even if they somehow get in.

To many things on the to do list.

Fix the penalty kill

Fix the power play

Fix the lousy way the team plays the last 2 minutes, of seemingly, every period

Find  a couple of bangers, and more than willing combatants.

57 minutes ago, Nave said:

Just look at Forsberg after he gained some muscle. Turned from almost an afterthought in the Lindros trade to one of the most dominant players we've ever seen.
Pettersson at least tries to be physical and screen the goalie. He would be so much better at that if he had some size. 
Maybe part of his frustration is that he hasn't been healthy much of the offseason. But I hope it's a step he takes.

Forsberg was always the key player in that trade.   Even a skinny Forsberg managed to get himself on a stamp before his career even started in Sweden.   But i get what your saying.  EP is this generations Nedved but isn't 6'3" either. 

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Taken from a discussion on the league wide weekly GDT

in regards to L.A. at Vegas tonight

Yet the Canucks have only gained 1 point on them in the last 10 games.

It would stink if the Canucks get almost into the play offs, but fall 2 points short.

Get a poor draft slot.

The middle is no place to be.

would have a play off spot, if they sacked Green earlier; however I don't think they get out of the first round, even if they somehow get in.

To many things on the to do list.

Fix the penalty kill

Fix the power play

Fix the lousy way the team plays the last 2 minutes, of seemingly, every period

Find  a couple of bangers, and more than willing combatants.

Canucks are 5-3-2 while Kings are

4-4-2.  That should be 2 pts no? 

Also yeah I'm more a proponent of waiting to see what this team does until up to TDL. There's 14 games until then and the schedule looks relatively easy. 

Im not anti retool but what i see under BB is a 110 pt team or a 15-6-4 team. 

I just want to see what they are capable of until the TDL to decide whether to move out bodies or keep them. 

Its undeniable that if we do make the playoffs, we'd be one of the best teams in the league for the final 57 games which is a pretty large sample size. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Canucks are 5-3-2 while Kings are

4-4-2.  That should be 2 pts no? 

Also yeah I'm more a proponent of waiting to see what this team does until up to TDL. There's 14 games until then and the schedule looks relatively easy. 

Im not anti retool but what i see under BB is a 110 pt team or a 15-6-4 team. 

I just want to see what they are capable of until the TDL to decide whether to move out bodies or keep them. 

Its undeniable that if we do make the playoffs, we'd be one of the best teams in the league for the final 57 games which is a pretty large sample size. 

Sorry to be a half-empty kind of guy on this, but what is undeniable is how bad this team would be if Demko didn't stand on his head for 95% of the games he's played in.  Demko's outstanding play has masked a lot of issues with the Canucks.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Sorry to be a half-empty kind of guy on this, but what is undeniable is how bad this team would be if Demko didn't stand on his head for 95% of the games he's played in.  Demko's outstanding play has masked a lot of issues with the Canucks.

Except on the pk. His numbers there are terrible. Not blaming him but that is the truth. The whole PK , including him, is the pits.

That said, Demko is our superstar. He is a player on the team. We rely on him just like Washington relies on OV. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is exactly what I'm worried about.  We have the potential to hang right around the 'playoff bubble' and then lose out just at then end when everyone realized we were never that close - everyone had games in hand all along.  From JR's comments recently it seems like even if they're anywhere close they'll be keeping assets (Miller/BB/Garland/etc...) in order to maximize their chances of playoffs - exactly what the Benning regime did for ages keeping us in perpetual mediocrity, and eventually losing significant assets for nothing, for his entire tenure here.  People will argue that if they don't make it this this season then management will probably make moves in the off-season - but there's no guarantees they'll do that either. 

Other's have said it before, I'll throw it out there again, I don't want a one-and-done playoff round just to Aquillini can make some bank.  I want JR to build a perennial contender.  This team, as is, is nowhere near that and I don't think that's even debatable, as such, moves need to be made - why wait to make those moves when you can do it now and get that process going sooner rather than later.  Yes, I realize it take two to make a deal - I believe there will be motivated buyers but do we have a motivated seller? 

I agree. It’s exactly what’s gone on here for too long. This idea it’s important to make the playoffs this year is silly.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah that is true but Demko is also a player on this team. 

Some teams have mcdavid. We have Demko. Good thing we have a superstar in the most important position. 

I don't think canucks have many issues. 

I think they have a major problem with special teams. If we had an average special teams unit, maybe TG is still here. With an average special teams under BB, we would be a contender

They are bottom-5 in goals scored at 5v5 even looking only at the time under Boudreau.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah that is true but Demko is also a player on this team. 

Some teams have mcdavid. We have Demko. Good thing we have a superstar in the most important position. 

I don't think canucks have many issues. 

I think they have a major problem with special teams. If we had an average special teams unit, maybe TG is still here. With an average special teams under BB, we would be a contender

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Except on the pk. His numbers there are terrible. Not blaming him but that is the truth. The whole PK , including him, is the pits.

That said, Demko is our superstar. He is a player on the team. We rely on him just like Washington relies on OV. 

No quarrel from me that Demko is a player on the team.  However, the Canucks success is far too reliant on how Demko plays.  Even moreso than Edmonton/McDavid.  If OV has an off night, the fortunes of the Caps, though diminished, isn't nearly to the degree as it is for the Canucks with Demko.  That was the case during Markstrom's final two seasons with the Canucks as well, so it appears to me that the Canucks have lived and died with the performance of the goaltending for the past 3-4 seasons.  That's a slippery slope. 

Thank goodness the Canucks have Demko...at the very least, regardless of how the team is playing in front of him, Demko gives the Canucks a legitimate shot at winning every night. 

Demko and Hughes gives the Canucks the two cornerstone pieces to build a contender for the long haul.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nave said:

I think if he gains some strength and weight without losing his soft hands, he could be a very dangerous player.

he needs to work on his skating, that helps him finding open space and shot the puck, there are many NHLers are elite skater without heavy body, ep is far from it

Edited by sxqhfeh