The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

14 hours ago, Provost said:

He fulfilled his contract, so it calling him a “quitter” would literally be changing the definition of what words mean.  He didn’t get an offer that would have paid him more than playing in the KHL, and hardly saw the ice in the NHL being randomly put in the press box while watching objectively worse players play above him.

He said his biggest reason for going back was that he wanted to be an important part of a team and be relied on.

There was zero indication from any reports that he just didn’t want to work hard.

He went to his hometown team where he was actually wanted and where he had to work harder by being a top pairing 20+ a minute player and assistant captain.

I don’t get why folks are so butthurt about this player.   The Canucks didn’t value him beyond a 7-8th D, another team did.  They wouldn’t even offer him a 1 way contract to come back.

Maybe you've never played competitive sports before but he certainly quit pursuing hockey at it's highest level. He quit playing in  the NHL. That part isn't in question even if you want to dance around semantics. Obviously he's never had the drive to be the best he could and play at the highest level because he gave up pursuing that as soon as he had a couple modest obstacles in front of him. If you want to be finicky I suppose you could say he didn't "quit" because he didn't care in the first place. I guess you don't know this but when you're an athlete you can't just dictate where you want to play and set your own rules if you want to be the best, you go where the competition takes you. 16:52 TOI while earning your ice time as a rookie is nowhere near "hardly seeing the ice", as you stated. It's normal and it's a good number. In fact Jack Rathbone has averaged 14:37, and Tanev averaged 16:38 over his first 92 games. I don't see those guys quitting because of ice time, or anyone else in the NHL for that matter. Podkolzin has played the exact same # of games Tryamkin did, 79. I guess he should take himself and his 12:47 in ice time back to Russia too where they'll respect him like he deserves.

Also there were lots of reports that he didn't want to work hard. From coming into camp horribly out of shape, from refusing to go work on his conditioning in the AHL, from complaining about ice time, complaining about his role, refusing to earn ice time like everyone else, and turning tail when the going got tough and going home. All signs of not being willing to put in the work required to play in the world's best league.

You keep comparing these leagues as if they're equal and he simply chose another team or something. That's just completely way off base and miles from reality. The reason I'm butthurt as you so eloquently ask :P is not as a Canucks fan (he's blah anyway)  but as an athlete. Most athletes give all they can, pursue their dreams to the fullest, and push through all the obstacles they can endure until they have to concede and give up on their dreams. Tryamkin reached a level most can only dream of and had a prime opportunity handed to him and turned his back on that after the tiniest hint of tribulation. That's weak, pathetic and a slap in the face to all those who put 100% into making the NHL and didn't even get the chance he just squandered away. For those guys it's about way more than money. Choosing money over the NHL is not admirable.

And we were prepared to offer him a contract if he wanted to play.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-nikita-tryamkins-decision-to-take-khl-deal-dripping-in-drama

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I remember when we were so hyped on Fabian Brunstrom and were devastated when he signed with Dallas. Then salt in the wound when he scored a hat trick his first game. Justin Schultz another guy we thought we could sign and he went on Edmonton. Not going to get my hopes up either way 

I remember that well. Soooo much hype around Brunnstrom. Really thought he was going to be the 3rd Sedin. 

(When all along we knew Mattias Weinhandl was the true 3rd Sedin ;) )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, awalk said:

I remember that well. Soooo much hype around Brunnstrom. Really thought he was going to be the 3rd Sedin. 

(When all along we knew Mattias Weinhandl was the true 3rd Sedin ;) )

Oh man, I remember that. I’ve forgotten which user it was, but they were a Wild fan as well as Canucks and they just beat the Weinhandl drum in every thread, regardless of topic, lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I remember when we were so hyped on Fabian Brunstrom and were devastated when he signed with Dallas. Then salt in the wound when he scored a hat trick his first game. Justin Schultz another guy we thought we could sign and he went on Edmonton. Not going to get my hopes up either way 

Yeah. I’m not going to get my hopes up for Kuzmenko either. 

But let’s see what this current management can do to sell the team. 

9 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Oh man, I remember that. I’ve forgotten which user it was, but they were a Wild fan as well as Canucks and they just beat the Weinhandl drum in every thread, regardless of topic, lol.

Who the hell was Weinhandl?

11 hours ago, arsenalian said:

I was trying to remember who that was too hahaha 

Let me know if you figure it out. It was for sure a Wild fan and Canucks fan. 

Jester? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sedins linemate in MODO 

Was hyped by a popular poster here back in 2010ish era as the '3rd Sedin' who we needed to sign.

Canucks did sign him at one point but I don't think he played more than a couple games.

Edited by awalk

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You don’t know of the great Mattias Weinhandl?? Well my friend, he had 6 points in 53 games playing for the Islanders. So as you can see we clearly missed out on the “3rd Sedin” and why we likely don’t have a cup yet ;)

26 minutes ago, awalk said:

I was trying to remember who that was too hahaha 

Let me know if you figure it out. It was for sure a Wild fan and Canucks fan. 

Jester? 

Hmmm, I don’t think it was Jester. It’s driving me nuts, I can almost picture their avatar, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arsenalian said:

You don’t know of the great Mattias Weinhandl?? Well my friend, he had 6 points in 53 games playing for the Islanders. So as you can see we clearly missed out on the “3rd Sedin” and why we likely don’t have a cup yet ;)

LOL. 

Thankfully I did not miss much there. 

I mean, I guess with Kuzmenko, he’s a free asset right? You take enough gambles, eventually one has to pan out for us. 

Is Kuzmenko going to be the next Panarin? Probably not. But if he can produce 50-55 points, that’s good for top six numbers. And we need more of those kinds of players, especially since I think the Canucks are going to lose Miller this off-season sooner rather than later. 

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Why's he still waiting to sign?  He must know by now where he wants to go if he completed his interviews a couple of weeks ago.  My guess is that he's waiting for a team that's still in the playoffs to get eliminated before he announces his signing with them.

Because teams in the playoffs (edmonton) are still in the playoffs

Free prospect that probably has better chance of being quality player than a second or third round pick. 

What’s not to like.
As with any player really don’t know how they will adapt to NHL game but I doubt anyone has him written into any positions until they see him in person and he earns a spot. 

15 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Hmmm, I don’t think it was Jester. It’s driving me nuts, I can almost picture their avatar, lol

Was it Canuckhound or Serge2k? Been so long since I thought of the legend of Weinhandl

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I want them to go after both Miikheyev and Zadorov in the off season

Off-season can’t come soon enough. 

Playoffs still in order. Soon after that’s done, it’ll be the draft. 

We should know what’s going on with Miller and Boeser really soon

Front on the Brock situation is really silent. Is that good news or bad? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:54 PM, arsenalian said:

Yeahhh I don't think it was either and same, can almost see it but it's driving me nuts! Oh well, was a very long time ago now.