The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Andrei Kuzmenko

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He is what he is. A slow, complimentary offensive D with a good shot, that struggles in his own end.

I'd imagine with Colorado's speed, firepower and depth, he's going to struggle in this series.

Ya but he's putting up points - 43 points and 12 goals from 'effectively' a rookie dman (only played 14 games last year), is going to put him in expensive comp category if he does it again next year...Edmonton will have to pay him simply from a comp perspective.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

He is what he is. A slow, complimentary offensive D with a good shot, that struggles in his own end.

I'd imagine with Colorado's speed, firepower and depth, he's going to struggle in this series.

Yeah, highly unlikely, the Spoilers gets past Colorado.   Hoping for a Tampa & Colorado finals...

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree, and don't blame the guy.  He is (very likely) being promised being on a line with McDavid or Driasatl.  (We can offer Petey or Bo)  And he is being offered the Oiler's PP1.

When the guy finishes his season he's a UFA.  UFA's get paid for goals. The guy could put up 30+ with the Soilers.  With us he's lucky to get 15.  He's making the smart choice for his best opportunity to get a big deal summer 2023.  

More than likely, he is being catfish by the Spoilers; and doesn't McD have a say, if he wants to play with him or not ? Also, good chance other GM's will know that his inflated numbers were due to his playing time with Mcd - thus, not getting a real gauge, on his ability to drive play & create opportunities.  I would argue, that he would get far more suitors & increase his value by improving a team with lesser talent - only of course, if he is willing to bet on himself.  Risky but the reward, is endless; and if he chooses the Spoilers for the obvious reasons of playing with McD, then I am glad he didn't end up, with the Canucks cause it would mean a player that is not really worth pursuing but I understand his (flawed) logic - if the rumoured reasons, are true. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

F it just offer sheet Denisenko from Florida. They likely wouldn't even be able to contend with a price that would only cost us a 3rd round pick. Kid has a lot of potential just needs a fresh start. 

He still has 1 year left to his ELC.  

His agent is just doing his due diligence and making sure he meets with every potential suitor. It’s what every agent does.

Theres literally no rush for him signing. I don’t think these deadlines mean much. I don’t think a decision has been made to be honest.

If it was a foregone conclusion that he was signing with the Oilers theres nothing stopping him. And there would be no need to keep the Canucks waiting as all offers will be the same. Therefore no advantage of using one team against another.

He was.2 days from a. decision prior to the oilers/flames series being settled.  Now he needs 2 weeks.  The same amount of time as a 7 game oilers/avs series

Whatever the case with the Oilers cap woes.  They can retain Kane and or sign kuzmenko but bottom line is Kuzmenko isn't coming here.  Cap issues or not.  PP1 or PP2 with the oilers or not.  He isn't coming here optically based on what we're seeing and hearing and if he does; cool.  If he doesn't that's player 117 since Yzerman was coming here, then sakic, Neidermeyer, then gaborik etc etc etc etc

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He was.2 days from a. decision prior to the oilers/flames series being settled.  Now he needs 2 weeks.  The same amount of time as a 7 game oilers/avs series

Whatever the case with the Oilers cap woes.  They can retain Kane and or sign kuzmenko but bottom line is Kuzmenko isn't coming here.  Cap issues or not.  PP1 or PP2 with the oilers or not.  He isn't coming here optically based on what we're seeing and hearing and if he does; cool.  If he doesn't that's player 117 since Yzerman was coming here, then sakic, Neidermeyer, then gaborik etc etc etc etc

I don’t recall news of him being two days away from signing.  
when this broke all the reports said it was a long time off.

The one report from May 28th said it might not be long now”, but didn’t include any actual timetable or quote from the agent that it would be June 1st which is a pretend deadline anyways.

The player can say where he plans on going even if he can’t sign there until July 13th

Edited by Provost

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t recall news of him being two days away from signing.  
when this broke all the reports said it was a long time off.

The one report from May 28th said it might not be long now”, but didn’t include any actual timetable or quote from the agent that it would be June 1st which is a pretend deadline anyways.

The player can say where he plans on going even if he can’t sign there until July 13th

Rumours or sourced statements said the canucks were hoping his comments about wanting to be done by June 1st were in fact false as he decided to instead extend his decision to mid june

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/05/30/vancouver-canucks-andrei-kuzmenko-nhl-khl-cska-moscow-jim-rutherford/

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Rumours or sourced statements said the canucks were hoping his comments about wanting to be done by June 1st were in fact false as he decided to instead extend his decision to mid june

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/05/30/vancouver-canucks-andrei-kuzmenko-nhl-khl-cska-moscow-jim-rutherford/

The previous story by him after interviewing the agent seemed to just be the reporter surmising that since it was down to just a couple teams the answer should be sooner rather than later.  He didn’t say that the agent said that or a source from what I saw.

Not that there was a sudden change in course of decision making like is being suggested as a result of the Edmonton playoff series.

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

His agent is just doing his due diligence and making sure he meets with every potential suitor. It’s what every agent does.

Theres literally no rush for him signing. I don’t think these deadlines mean much. I don’t think a decision has been made to be honest.

If it was a foregone conclusion that he was signing with the Oilers theres nothing stopping him. And there would be no need to keep the Canucks waiting as all offers will be the same. Therefore no advantage of using one team against another.

But i can understand why Kuzmenko would choose Edmonton to play with a player like McDavid. 

He could put up a ton of points, and then cash in. 

6 hours ago, Provost said:

The previous story by him after interviewing the agent seemed to just be the reporter surmising that since it was down to just a couple teams the answer should be sooner rather than later.  He didn’t say that the agent said that or a source from what I saw.

Not that there was a sudden change in course of decision making like is being suggested as a result of the Edmonton playoff series.

Yeah. That sounds like he’s probably going to land in Edmonton. 

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Even with Pettersson, we can’t seem to attract players wanting to come here and play. 

This organization isn’t quite there yet, where players will take discounts to land here in Vancouver and don the white, blue and green. We’ve really struck out in terms of collegiate free agents, and now the international ones (like Kuzmenko). I know he might not be a superstar, or even a star player, but a free asset is a free asset. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Even with Pettersson, we can’t seem to attract players wanting to come here and play. 

This organization isn’t quite there yet, where players will take discounts to land here in Vancouver and don the white, blue and green. We’ve really struck out in terms of collegiate free agents, and now the international ones (like Kuzmenko). I know he might not be a superstar, or even a star player, but a free asset is a free asset. 

I thought this before and was actually put in my place on this board. We've attracted quite a bit of college free agents even though it feels like we lose out on a lot. How many teams sign a guy out of college that had the impact of tanev.

Off the top of my head we've had tanev stretcher Liane (I'm sure some folks can help me out with more).

Here's the reality. These UDFA signings rarely make an impact at the NHL level. It seems like we lose a lot because we're in the running a lot, unlike a team like the Coyotes or buffalo who never even get considered by sought after udfas.

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

There are 31 other teams. 
Some of that is taxes though frankly there is probably more commercial/endorsements available for lower level players and mid range stars in Canada. 
The superstars probably can play it right too. Matthews probably rakes it in in endorsements playing for the Leafs that he would never get otherwise.

Just my theory, probably doesn’t play out that frequently though. 

Edited by DrJockitch

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I thought this before and was actually put in my place on this board. We've attracted quite a bit of college free agents even though it feels like we lose out on a lot. How many teams sign a guy out of college that had the impact of tanev.

Off the top of my head we've had tanev stretcher Liane (I'm sure some folks can help me out with more).

Here's the reality. These UDFA signings rarely make an impact at the NHL level. It seems like we lose a lot because we're in the running a lot, unlike a team like the Coyotes or buffalo who never even get considered by sought after udfas.

And Tanev signed when we were a competitive team, but I also can't recall if any other teams were in on him.

It makes sense for someone to want to play on Edmonton and get inflated stats with McD.