The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Jacob Chychrun as a TDL acquisition

Odd.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think they are even in rebuild mode yet, I think they are doing everything to effectively "Park" their team until they can find a permanent home.

They ONLY reason that makes sense for them to look at trading Chychrun right now (young, skilled player on a very reasonable contract), is that by they time they are really ready for a player like him, he might be 30 years old. I think they look at it as, if they can just keep flipping guys into high end prospects / picks for a few years, they can look at being in a position to START building, roughly 25/26 season. I think unless they get sold and moved outside of Arizona, that's their realistic timeline.

Think of it this way. They are moving into a 5,000 seat arena when they don't even have an agreement to even start construction on a new building. They have a target of where they would LIKE to build, but I don't believe that they currently have the support needed to get the project approved. If their targeted project falls through, I think they will be sold and moved somewhere else for the start of the 23/24 season, and THEN, they will start to build. Until then, I think management is under instructions to maintain the bare minimum level to be even considered an NHL franchise.

I wouldn't even be all that surprised if their roster is full of LTIR contracts (covered by insurance) to help them reach the floor and players on near league minimum deals just to ice a team.  I don't think they want to spend more than they have to.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

This could also be JR trying to drive up the price of Chychrun to scare the Rangers away.

Maybe they’ll be more willing to trade their key pieces for Miller.

I don't think it is Vancouver they have to worry about driving up the price. There are plenty of suitors.

It's not due to lack of interest if the rumor mill is to be believed. Since mid-January, Chychrun has been linked to the Anaheim Ducks, Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, St. Louis Blues and Toronto Maple Leafs. Earlier this week. Montreal Hockey Now's Jimmy Murphy wondered if the woeful Canadiens could make a pitch.

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That’s like. 

One of Pod/Hog

a 1st

Rathbone 

Klimovich

I feel like other teams could offer better. 

Like you said any cap dumps would raise the price. 

Not sure Rathbone or Klimovich would be viewed that highly by Arizona.

In a draft, teams typically have a draft board of only around 40 players - they don't rank every prospect but only the ones that they are interested in.  A player picked in the 2nd round might have absolutely no value to another team because they didn't believe he had an NHL future and eliminated him from their board.   

Posted this in the proposal thread I created. 

deal I offered was Rathbone, Hoggie, Dipietro and 23/24 2nd rounders. That was unanimously voted down as not enough which I agree with. If it meant including a 24/1st and 23/2nd maybe that might at least get things in range?

anyway here was the concept for what I’d try to do next:

“It is a lot of money tied up on D, which is also a problem now, but it’s still dollars better spent, imho. 
and totally agree that’s a lot of mins  for those other D, but in additional retooling I think we find those other 2 shut down, big bodied RHD for the future.
We have to, regardless…we only have Schenn and Hammy for another year. Can’t see Schenn extended and unless Hamonic is lights out and healthy, I expect he’s gone at end of his term too, if not sooner.

Poolman for whatever he can get you. Serviceable guy, but not a fit with this club going forward unfortunately.

Miller and Poolman to BOS for Carlo, Debrusk, Lysell and a pick.

Marchand and Miller in the playoffs would be disgusting.

before anyone goes off on Lysell’s size, have to consider that not every trade is going to bring back the exact pieces we need for the moment. But he’s a former 1st round pick who is performing well and increasing his value.

Plus, sign Zadorov as UFA in offseason, pending trade off of other assets and their return.

In 2 years time our D is still locked in on contracts and looks like this:

Hughes Carlo

Chychrun OEL

Myers Zadorov 

6/7 - Burroughs, Woo?, UFA/trade

looks nice, imho”

Edited by RWJC

48 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This is a fringe playoff team, I think we should just keep stocking up picks and building. Honestly the smartest thing to do with a new regime. 

Don't break the bank for a star player. 

Benning f*cked himself and the team over with the free agent signings he made and now this is where we find ourselves in. Against the cap and a very average team.

We'd likely be giving up picks plus a top 6 forward and as sad as it is, we can't afford that right now.

He’s 23 and coming in at a great team friendly term contract and has already shown top 2 Dman potential. What more could you ask for? he’s already a certainty. 

15 minutes ago, mll said:

In a draft, teams typically have a draft board of only around 40 players - they don't rank every prospect but only the ones that they are interested in.  A player picked in the 2nd round might have absolutely no value to another team because they didn't believe he had an NHL future and eliminated him from their board.   

Wait... what?  So your logic is that if a player is drafted later in the 2nd round, they have little to no value to any other team other than the one that drafted them?

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Wait... what?  So your logic is that if a player is drafted later in the 2nd round, they have little to no value to any other team other than the one that drafted them?

I think they would if they started exceeding expectations (Rathbone would be a 1st round equivalent prospect, given what he's doing in the AHL imo). 

Klimovich is just getting started, hasn't done anything yet, dont think he'd be of much value at all in a trade. He time and if he starts dominating, he'll have value as a prospect.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Depends what we get back in a Miller trade.

If we can trade Miller to New York for Schneider, Chytil, and a 1st then trade our 1st plus Hoglander and some other pieces it would be worth it.

Suddenly in two trades our D has been rebuilt. Plus we keep a 1st and a young center to replace Miller.

Hughes Schneider 

Chychrun Myers

OEL Hamonic/Schenn/Burroughs

That is kind of my thinking as well but I’m top 10 protecting the pick 100% like if the Canucks draft 12th and that pick goes to Arizona that’s fair value and we snag the rangers pick and they draft 26th which belongs to us, that isn’t prime spot to be drafting but it’ll help facilitate some restocking of prospects as well pick a top 4 Dman 

Having 3 left side dman is the TB model where you have a top 4 dman on the ice for every minute of the game and it’s worked out for them 

• Cheers 2

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I think they would if they started exceeding expectations (Rathbone would be a 1st round equivalent prospect, given what he's doing in the AHL imo). 

Klimovich is just getting started, hasn't done anything yet, dont think he'd be of much value at all in a trade. He time and if he starts dominating, he'll have value as a prospect.

That's what I think too... but the poster makes it sound like any pick later in the 2nd round or in later rounds are worthless to all other teams other than the one that drafted the player lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Makes sense, having Hughes, OEL, and Chychrun down our left side doesn't make a whole lot of sense 

Unless Chychrun can also play the right side, which would be news to me 

He played on the right side when he was paired with Goligoski, last year.

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Of course not.  Most 1st rounders will be ranked by any team but as the rounds go by players won't necessarily get interest from all the teams.  

The player that ends up being picked 50th might have been on the draft board of say a dozen teams and the player picked 51st on the draft board of 12 completely different teams.  So if you are trying to trade the player picked 50th to a team that never had him on their draft board they might not bite.  

Once players start to establish themselves at the NHL level then it's different but Klimovich was only picked last year.  

Edited by mll

48 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Love Hoglander. He is in a sophomore slump. The kid was like our 4th best player last year at forward. Things aint going his way but with work ethic is always there. I'd be trading guys like Pearson and Dickinson out before Hoglander. Plus he is cost controlled. 

Nice idea and all but the other teams know that too and you need to trade something of value to get some like Chychun. I don't think Canucks can afford what they're asking, unfortunately it probably isn't Pearson, Dickinson and a 3rd

40 minutes ago, mll said:

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Of course not.  Most 1st rounders will be ranked by any team but as the rounds go by players won't necessarily get interest from all the teams.  

The player that ends up being picked 50th might have been on the draft board of say a dozen teams and the player picked 51st on the draft board of 12 completely different teams.  So if you are trying to trade the player picked 50th to a team that never had him on their draft board they might not bite.  

Once players start to establish themselves at the NHL level then it's different but Klimovich was only picked last year.  

If it was just Klimovich you were referring to, then I get it... but when you threw Rathbone's name in, it made no sense anymore.

EDIT:  I also find it funny that you use "40" as your cutoff number knowing full well, Klimovich was picked #41 :lol:

Edited by HKSR

Just me that was really unimpressed by chychrun last time we played the yotes? Definitely a good player on a good contract, but not a difference maker worth the expected trading price imo.

Maybe if we can dump more cap on them. Something like Boeser, Ferland, Hamonic and Rathbone maybe.

A nice scenario would be for the bruins to empty their prospect pool even more to aquire him and then still get wiped out in the first round.