The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

5 hours ago, coryberg said:

Watching him play 20 games over the past few years would be a much better indicator... its actually pretty hard to find video clips of defensive lapses, people don't post them to the internet unless it's epic. Try googling Luca Sbisa, you will get big hits and a bunch of goals, you would probably think he is an all star.

20 games is a small sample size. The numbers @shiznakquoted are more accurate than “I watched him 20 times” 

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

Watching him play 20 games over the past few years would be a much better indicator... its actually pretty hard to find video clips of defensive lapses, people don't post them to the internet unless it's epic. Try googling Luca Sbisa, you will get big hits and a bunch of goals, you would probably think he is an all star.

It’s not hard to find defensive lapses of a player. Just look at a game where the player had a bad night in the minus column and go re-watch the game.

For example, Hedman was a minus-6 against Florida in one game, and he made a few boneheaded plays which led to goals. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

20 games is a small sample size. The numbers @shiznakquoted are more accurate than “I watched him 20 times” 

You might be right. Maybe those were his only games that he made multiple boneheaded plays. Maybe he is -119 because he is a great defender.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

You might be right. Maybe those were his only games that he made multiple boneheaded plays. Maybe he is -119 because he is a great defender.

He’s minus 119 because New Jersey has been garbage for the better part of a decade. 

Irfaan Gaffar repeats what Pagnotta said on NHL Network during free agency - both work for the 4th period.  Vancouver was trying to move Myers at the draft but it fell apart.  They were trying to clear cap space to add Klingberg.

Around the 42:20 min mark:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/teeing-up-the-remainder-of-the-canucks-offseason-with-irfaan-gaffar/

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

New Jersey has been notoriously bad at defense as a team. The past four seasons only Detroit and Ottawa has let in more goals than New Jersey. 

You look at their top defensemen in those seasons, and they’re all minuses. Your plus/minus is bound to take a hit when you’re matching up against the opponents top players in every game and you’re playing on a rebuilding team.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

New Jersey has been notoriously bad at defense as a team. The past four seasons only Detroit and Ottawa has let in more goals than New Jersey. 

You look at their top defensemen in those seasons, and they’re all minuses. Your plus/minus is bound to take a hit when you’re matching up against the opponents top players in every game and you’re playing on a rebuilding team.

And you are going to be notoriously bad at defense if your minute munching dmen aren't very good in their own end. Chicken and the egg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Quinn Hughes was -24 the year before last, in a shortened season. Guess he sucks...

He definitely wasn't very good in his own zone that season. If you watched the games uou would have saw that. He was much improved last season though... if you watched the games you would know that too. It's always easy to just GUESS rather than actually see for yourself though.

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

He definitely wasn't very good in his own zone that season. If you watched the games uou would have saw that. He was much improved last season though... if you watched the games you would know that too. It's always easy to just GUESS rather than actually see for yourself though.

woosh GIF

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Myers + Garland to SEA for Larsson + 2nd

Then sign Klingberg.

QH Klingberg

OEL Larsson

Rathbone Dermott

:P

Schenn says hi. Why not maximize Schenns value and keep Garland? Then, maybe ship Garland next summer to fill Schenns spot?

Klingberg is much of the same as we have. For the term required, rather keep Myers’s on his 2yr contract

Edited by BC_Hawk

On 7/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, WHL rocks said:

QH Larsson

OEL Klingberg 

If we somehow end up with:

Hughes Larsson

OEL Klingberg

Rathbone Schenn

Dermott

We would definitely be set on D for years.  OEL and maybe similar Klingberg contract would likely age okay over time if the cap goes up.

• Like 1

If I were Jim Rutherford I would do it quick and dirty: I would attach a 2nd round pick to Tyler Myers and send him to the Arizona Coyotes. The Yotes are the right partner to get this done. They love to add draft picks and VAN love to create cap space. I don't want to watch the Giraffe two more seasons in a Canucks jersey.

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

If I were Jim Rutherford I would do it quick and dirty: I would attach a 2nd round pick to Tyler Myers and send him to the Arizona Coyotes. The Yotes are the right partner to get this done. They love to add draft picks and VAN love to create cap space. I don't want to watch the Giraffe two more seasons in a Canucks jersey.

Not a big cash flow vs cap hit difference.

Arizona would say no.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

rather spend our 2nd offer sheeting Hague or Roy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1