The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In a vacuum, yes. But there are a lot of moving parts. And Vancouver has a pressing need for cap space. The return for Myers might be better in 2024, but a lesser return now could be worth it, just for the cap flexibility, and the ability to direct that money elsewhere to improve the roster. There’s also a chance Myers declines even more between now and 2024 and eventually he becomes unmovable.

Myers for Zaitsev frees up 1.5 on the cap.  If we use that to make moves to better us in the future (and not to bring in already developed players in hopes to help now) then it’s a smart move.  But our owner refuses to allow smart, rebuilding type moves.  

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not too many teams swap RHD. I mean yeah Weber for Subban. Montreal was the winner in that trade.

Both teams went to the Stanley Cup final after the trade. Then Nashville traded him to NJ for 2 players who were nothing it seems and TWO 2nd round picks, If it were me I would say Nashville might end up coming out on top if either of those picks can contribute in the NHL

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Do you guys remember the year we got Myers? We had to overpay because there was an extreme shortage of RHD at the time and just like new cars, there is still a supply chain issue. Why aren’t we prioritizing RHD at the draft? I hate to say it but we need Myers on the team. This situation is so ridiculous. 

A 25yr old RHD John Marino got traded this past off season and certainly did NOT cost a premium to obtain. 31 NHL teams missed the boat on when he got dealt, yes I am including Pittsburgh the team he got dealt from in the 31 teams...was an odd move to trade a young D so they could bring in a higher cap hit older RHD in Jeff Petry

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

And replace him with who?

Not "who", "Woo". 

:bigblush:

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Do you guys remember the year we got Myers? We had to overpay because there was an extreme shortage of RHD at the time and just like new cars, there is still a supply chain issue. Why aren’t we prioritizing RHD at the draft? I hate to say it but we need Myers on the team. This situation is so ridiculous. 

Because management would rather draft wingers high and trade second round picks. We should be holding on to picks and regularly targeting D in the second round, or in the first round if there are prospects ranked roughly equally around where we pick, I'm perfectly fine with position being the deciding factor if there's not a clearcut BPA, which there often isn't as you get further away from the top five picks. 

Instead of obsessing about how to acquire top end RD from other teams we should be drafting our own. It's not that complicated and yet prior to Woo the last D we drafted in the second round was Yann Wauve back in 2008. 

Edited by Coconuts

36 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In a vacuum, yes. But there are a lot of moving parts. And Vancouver has a pressing need for cap space. The return for Myers might be better in 2024, but a lesser return now could be worth it, just for the cap flexibility, and the ability to direct that money elsewhere to improve the roster. There’s also a chance Myers declines even more between now and 2024 and eventually he becomes unmovable.

And why do we need more cap space this year versus next year? You think we are gonna be buyers at the TDL? Lol

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Apparently the chat is Myers for Zaitsev in Ottawa...would be a cap relief move for us and as bad as Myers has been, Zaitsev is even worse - 4.5M cap hit and he's not even cracking their roster but playing in the AHL.

This would have been a horrible trade for us 

JR and Allvin need to be doing better scouting and work than this if this is all the trade chat there is...Myers for Zaitsev is laughable and shows no direction for this team whatsoever.

Why we aren't trading a winger for defenceman is beyond me. We've got so many good wingers, so many teams need scorers, yet here we are talking about down-grading our already thin defence?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JR and Allvin need to be doing better scouting and work than this if this is all the trade chat there is...Myers for Zaitsev is laughable and shows no direction for this team whatsoever.

Why we aren't trading a winger for defenceman is beyond me. We've got so many good wingers, so many teams need scorers, yet here we are talking about down-grading our already thin defence?

Our management is allergic when it comes to obtaining a proper top 3/4 defenceman. We have a surplus of forwards. You would think the math would be basic.

The massive recrocaution that no one seems to be talking about is good luck getting Myers to give it his all to this Canucks team and management after being shown the door.

In NHL you cannot afford to have a leaked trade gone south because it's night night to your player morale and dedication. Myers will never be the same after this fall out, mark my words.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

And why do we need more cap space this year versus next year? You think we are gonna be buyers at the TDL? Lol

No, not at all.

It’s about dumping bad contracts now, if the opportunities arise, and then holding onto that cap space. And what having that added flexibility might allow, when it comes to meaningful and forward thinking roster changes for the future.

I’d be going all torches and pitchforks if the team cleared contracts and gained significant cap space now, only to turn around and spend it all as “buyers” at the TDL on shortsighted moves designed to “win now.”

I wouldn’t be against weaponizing cap space at this year’s TDL, however. Like taking on some bad expiring contracts plus sweeteners like picks/prospects, if we somehow cleared enough room to make those kinds of move (I’m not holding my breath for that, however).

There’s also the question of Bo and if an extension is still possible. Clearing some cap now would make any future planning (for a roster that includes Horvat) much easier. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Can't be giving up offense this season, I am not sure if you been to any games in the arena but the atmosphere is electric. One of the main reasons is because of the high octane offense from our forward group. We been in top 10 in scoring and many games have multi goal leads.

As a new fan of the franchise I don't really share the same passion for "win, win" mentality neither do most of my friends what we care about is entertainment. As long as many goals are scored and we see our favorite players doing well doesn't matter if team wins or losses I think modern fans would agree and see my logic.

Why give up the one sure amazing thing this season (your wingers offense) to improve defense that won't put up goals. Goals sells tickets.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers for Zaitsev frees up 1.5 on the cap.  If we use that to make moves to better us in the future (and not to bring in already developed players in hopes to help now) then it’s a smart move.  But our owner refuses to allow smart, rebuilding type moves.  

Yes but Zaitsev is buried so there's an additional 1.1 so it would be 2.6 off the cap but.....

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Can't be giving up offense this season, I am not sure if you been to any games in the arena but the atmosphere is electric. One of the main reasons is because of the high octane offense from our forward group. We been in top 10 in scoring and many games have multi goal leads.

As a new fan of the franchise I don't really share the same passion for "win, win" mentality neither do most of my friends what we care about is entertainment. As long as many goals are scored and we see our favorite players doing well doesn't matter if team wins or losses I think modern fans would agree and see my logic.

Why give up the one sure amazing thing this season (your wingers offense) to improve defense that won't put up goals. Goals sells tickets.

Then those fans should expect nothing but mediocrity.

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Myers adds negative value IMO.

Burroughs > Myers

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

You mean the many multi-goal lead games that we broke the nhl record losing, lol. Our team sucks and we all want a winner (eventually). Since our prospect pool is one of the worst in the nhl and we don’t have the cap space to get what we want/need, trading a forward (Miller/Horvat/Garland/Boeser) is our best option moving forward. The atmosphere may be great, but continued mediocrity is not acceptable. We need cap space, prospects and rhd.

32 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Myers adds negative value IMO.

Burroughs > Myers

I’d actually be fine running with Schenn, Bear, and Burroughs as a short term solution for this season. It’s debatable whether or not that’s actually a worse right side than the current D with Myers taking up one of those spots (at $6M).

It would also be nice to have enough cap space available to be nimble and take advantage whenever opportunities arise.

The Bear trade, for example, was apparently worked out in principle for months, but could only be concluded once we’d made the moves to free up the necessary cap.

It’s possible that another RHD comes available for minimal price, and would be nice to be able to pull the trigger on an upgrade move immediately, rather than having to first make a cap dump (likely at a loss of assets, given the leverage issues when you’re capped out) just to create the space to make the kind of trade that might address a need and improve the roster.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

That's really pathetic. Z wants to fight Ottawa fans for trashing on him.. But would rather sit on their farm team then join us lmaooooo!

He's quite honestly the worst dman in the league and he said no. Our franchise is on another level of embarrassing:lol: 

Rielly, Barrie, and Bouchard are all far worse.