The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

9 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Grain of salt:

: "I think Tyler Myers is going to get dealt...I believe that bonus was paid this week, based on the info I have. If it hasn't...the Canucks can opt to pay it early so they can facilitate a trade. That is an option."

https://twitter.com/sekeresandprice/status/1677446220384710656?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I’d take that with the smallest grain of salt possible 

So Close Atp GIF by Tennis TV

Just now, grandmaster said:

I hope not. So many here saying he is overrated. Rather have a cheap a Hirose take his spot and use the Cap for a good trade

Or even sign someone like Pius Suter (PK, faceoffs, etc.), take a flyer on Zadina with EP (creates chances, just couldn't bury them), and have cap space left over. Depth and flexibility for the first time in how many years?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Grain of salt:

: "I think Tyler Myers is going to get dealt...I believe that bonus was paid this week, based on the info I have. If it hasn't...the #CanucksNHL_Playoff_Extension_Canucks.png can opt to pay it early so they can facilitate a trade. That is an option."

https://twitter.com/sekeresandprice/status/1677446220384710656?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I see so many people say it was paid on July 1st and a number of others saying it won’t be until September 1st and no one, at least that I’ve seen, has verified which date it’ll be paid on. 

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

I see so many people say it was paid on July 1st and a number of others saying it won’t be until September 1st and no one, at least that I’ve seen, has verified which date it’ll be paid on. 

Apparently it can be paid early?

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

If thats an issue can NHL teams include cash in deals? They used to but I am unsure if they are still allowed. If so, why wouldnt the Canucks just include the bonus money to be paid to Myers in any deal?

16 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Or even sign someone like Pius Suter (PK, faceoffs, etc.), take a flyer on Zadina with EP (creates chances, just couldn't bury them), and have cap space left over. Depth and flexibility for the first time in how many years?

Suter isn’t great on the draw, but he does have quite a bit of PK experience.

Zadina could be interesting, depending on the price could be worth a trial

Just now, winthecup said:

If thats an issue can NHL teams include cash in deals? They used to but I am unsure if they are still allowed. If so, why wouldnt the Canucks just include the bonus money to be paid to Myers in any deal?

Teams haven’t been able to include cash in deals in decades. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Apparently it can be paid early?

No. It can’t be paid early.  Myers agent specifically had them structure the bonus payment the way it is to make it harder to trade him.  Teams aren’t allowed to vary from the terms of the contract just because it suits them better 

7 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Well I was ready to see if OEL can turn it around under Tocchett and then he got bought out.

Was ready to do the same w Myers but rumour is he might get dealt too lol.  

So in the hypothetical world that he does, who do you replace him w?

I’m fine with a bag of pucks 

10 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Well I was ready to see if OEL can turn it around under Tocchett and then he got bought out.

Ideally? Pesce B)

16 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Future Considerations

Even if we can't move Myers prior to the start of the season, he should by all accounts play his best hockey for us as he is in a contract year and historically, players put the petal to the metal so that they attract future suitors. So my best case scenario is...he plays really well and helps the team, ups his value and we can move him for something solid at the draft. Worst case scenario, we can't move him, his play falls off a cliff and he gets injured before the TDL. I'm hoping for option 1 ::D

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Future Considerations

When we traded Jim Sandlak to Hartford, the deal was made at the deadline, but House was the future considerations part of the trade that didn't complete until after the playoffs. So Myers could be the future considerations that doesn't complete until after the bonus is payed. Now people can tell me why that won't work because I'm thinking it won't. :P

5 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Even if we can't move Myers prior to the start of the season, he should by all accounts play his best hockey for us as he is in a contract year and historically, players put the petal to the metal so that they attract future suitors. So my best case scenario is...he plays really well and helps the team, ups his value and we can move him for something solid at the draft. Worst case scenario, we can't move him, his play falls off a cliff and he gets injured before the TDL. I'm hoping for option 1 ::D

It's honestly another solid check mark for new management.

They brought in Tochett, Foote and Gonchar to improve defensive play, structure etc. They've been bringing in solid 2 way/defensive F's, they brought in two solid 2 way/defensive D this summer to play with Hughes/Hronek (in front of Myers). They added/have 3 potential defensive D to play with/cover for Myers in Irwin/Wolanin/Hirose. All on top of a contract year.

Talk about maximizing a trade asset :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

No. It can’t be paid early.  Myers agent specifically had them structure the bonus payment the way it is to make it harder to trade him.  Teams aren’t allowed to vary from the terms of the contract just because it suits them better 

Apparently it can be paid early. I just read it from another article at Canucks Daily (sorry can’t post the source, it’s off Facebook):

The ongoing belief was that the Canucks were waiting on the bonus to be paid up before they moved the defenseman (the due date was supposedly September 15th). However, recent information revealed that the Canucks could choose to pay that bonus before its due date.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Apparently it can be paid early. I just read it from another article at Canucks Daily (sorry can’t post the source, it’s off Facebook):

The ongoing belief was that the Canucks were waiting on the bonus to be paid up before they moved the defenseman (the due date was supposedly September 15th). However, recent information revealed that the Canucks could choose to pay that bonus before its due date.

That article sources it’s info from the Rachel Doerrie quote originally mentioned in this thread 

I think it is very fair to be skeptical of her info

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They must REALLY appreciate what Meyers did for $6 million each year to do that:P

• Haha 2