The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

It really boggles my mind that some folks around here are saying Myers is a positive impact on our team with a lessor role. 

The guy is absolutely garbage. I like RT but there is no way a coach can help with a player that has this low hockey IQ.

Just watch this video. This is what Myers would do EVERY GOD DAMN GAME last season. This 4 second video is Myers. I don’t know what some of you are talking about. He cost us a LOT of games.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It really boggles my mind that some folks around here are saying Myers is a positive impact on our team with a lessor role. 

The guy is absolutely garbage. I like RT but there is no way a coach can help with a player that has this low hockey IQ.

Just watch this video. This is what Myers would do EVERY GOD DAMN GAME last season. This 4 second video is Myers. I don’t know what some of you are talking about. He cost us a LOT of games.

You obviously don’t appreciate Shaolin Temple style Myers.

On the flip side, his reach prevents a lot of opportunities as well. It doesn’t absolve the negative, but you have to accept some of his positives as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Myers in a top role hurts us. Myers limited minutes on a bottom pairing is fine. Only problem is you don’t want to commit 6 million to a sheltered bottom pairing dman but it’s not like we could move him and add somebody different at this point. May as well keep him for the bottom pairing/pk1 role. If we’re out of it just him being a RHD you’d get a 2nd or 3rd round for him at the trade deadline.

If we put him in a PK1 role we will give up a lot of PP goals.  It will be painful watching him versus an Oilers powerplay. He is an extremely weak penalty killer.  More importantly, he usually spends PK time in the penalty box anyways.

But as you said, it's not like we can move him easily.  I would just rather limit his playing time in all situations.  The more you play him, the more he will struggle.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Myers’ value isn’t about clearing off all his cap by returning a pick but rather more so in a hockey trade? We move home after his bonus to Phoenix for a guy who has a cap hit of 3-4 per and can play for us in a different role, like 3C? They get Myers at 1 mil but count six on their cap while having the asset to trade at the 2024 TDL.

Alf’s empties see a Myers for Crouse trade incoming. 

Lawson Crouse is a dream. He hits, fights, scores goals, kills penalties, plays the power play. Even took some faceoffs last year. We could play him in the bumper spot on the power play. At 6’4” 220 pounds he could be our new Bertuzzi. 

I’d easily give up our 2024 1st plus Höglander for Crouse. We could give Arizona Garland back to balance out the salaries. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You obviously don’t appreciate Shaolin Temple style Myers.

On the flip side, his reach prevents a lot of opportunities as well. It doesn’t absolve the negative, but you have to accept some of his positives as well. 

His reach gets him into penalty trouble, though.  As a comparison, Zdeno Chára was always good at avoiding penalties despite being extremely slow.  Even when he was in New York, a good chunk of his PIMs came from fights, and not minors.

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lawson Crouse is a dream. He hits, fights, scores goals, kills penalties, plays the power play. Even took some faceoffs last year. We could play him in the bumper spot on the power play. At 6’4” 220 pounds he could be our new Bertuzzi. 

I’d easily give up our 2024 1st plus Höglander for Crouse. We could give Arizona Garland back to balance out the salaries. 

Make the first a 2nd or third , throw in Rathbone and we got a deal.

44 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

His reach gets him into penalty trouble, though.  As a comparison, Zdeno Chára was always good at avoiding penalties despite being extremely slow.  Even when he was in New York, a good chunk of his PIMs came from fights, and not minors.

Again, there’s good and bad with almost every player. Myers is certainly a whipping boy for a number of reasons but when we lacked minute munching Dmen, at least we had someone to step up and try to manage that in that role.

If he’s out of his depth, it’s because of coaching decisions and a lack of personnel to offset.

Regardless he is still a legit bottom pairing NHL Dman that has parlayed a pretty good career through the years despite many armchair GMs critical analysis. He’s overpaid and overplayed and at the same time somewhat under appreciated for what he does provide, imho. To each their own perspective. 

Edited by RWJC

41 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Again, there’s good and bad with almost every player. Myers is certainly a whipping boy for a number of reasons but when we lacked minute munching Dmen, at least we had someone to step up and try to manage that in that role.

If he’s out of his depth, it’s because of coaching decisions and a lack of personnel to offset.

Regardless he is still a legit bottom pairing NHL Dman that has parlayed a pretty good career through the years despite many armchair GMs critical analysis. He’s overpaid and overplayed and at the same time somewhat under appreciated for what he does provide, imho. To each their own perspective. 

Unless a player is absolutely mailing it in and has obviously given up on the team, I'll never fault the individual for taking the bag.  I don't even resent Eriksson over that.  But I think it's fair to expect more out of a $6M player.  That kind of key role demands a lot more good than bad.  But with Myers we get a lot more bad than good.  And that's the problem - being paid $6M demands he plays a more important role on the team (ie. second pairing, special teams, just more ice-time in general), and he struggles to keep up.

His contract was a red flag, where Jets fans seemed totally content losing him in free agency.  It's an odd career track where he completely peaked in his first two years and has since regressed.  His WAR chart is a roller coaster - ups and downs but definitely going down.  He has been paid off that early promise he showed but has never lived up to it.  So let me alter your statement: he has parlayed a good salary and term off what's been a pretty below-average career.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Head, Text, Chart, Line Chart

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Thanks 1

Tyler Myers the player isn’t really the problem. Tyler Myers’ salary is a problem in a cap world. He isn’t a 6m dollar player who can carry his own top 4 pairing dman, but he has a lot more skill and athleticism than a replacement level player. I think he’ll surprise a lot of those people this season who have written him off as garbage.

Would Pesce be better? of course.  He’s played a lot of hard minutes for this team, and is only a -1 over the last two seasons combined. His errors are glaring, and his performance is not consistent, but i’d argue his effort is there.  

Overpaid and overworked. Not a cool steady partner. Not a bad defenseman though. If we were better without him, he’d be benched. I’ll give his last 3 coaches some credit that they might know better than us whinging fans on here. If he’s a Canuck opening day then let’s cheer him on. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Myers in a top role hurts us. Myers limited minutes on a bottom pairing is fine. Only problem is you don’t want to commit 6 million to a sheltered bottom pairing dman but it’s not like we could move him and add somebody different at this point. May as well keep him for the bottom pairing/pk1 role. If we’re out of it just him being a RHD you’d get a 2nd or 3rd round for him at the trade deadline.

pk1 ? He's brutal though and was part of the league worst pk. Wouldn't Cole Soucy be better?

Soucy was excellent on Seattle’s penalty kill last season. He was on the second pairing for their shorthanded unit and was one of the top-10 (7th) defencemen when it comes to on-ice expected goals against per 60 minutes of shorthanded play. Soucy will bring some size to the backend and has the potential to be the top penalty killer for the Canucks’ defence corps.

It was also Cole and Slavin who did the majority of the penalty killing for Carolina this year, which is good news for the Canucks, because the right side of the PK might be where they need Cole most in 2023/24.

We also have Hughes and Hronek that can play some minutes there. I'd play him very sparingly there, pk2 30 seconds but I do agree in limited minutes his outlook is far better.
Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

:wub: :frantic:  :lol:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Huggy Bear 1