The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's a shame ARZ reportedly wants to start competing this season. For a cool $1m of actual salary, we could have taken say Crouse and his $17.2m ($4.3x4) in salary back, saving that penny-pinching org over $16m in cash commitment.

Waiving him only clears ~$1.1m of his cap. Buying him out (which we already missed) would actually cost us MORE cap once you factor in his replacement.

Every player playing in the NHL (and probably a few hundred who aren't) are "ok" by default.

Myers could be a decent, complementary 2nd pair, offensive leaning D with size/intangibles, good leadership etc who occasionally brain farts and needs a good defensive D to cover him (the exact type of D who would also pair with Hughes, OEL, Schmidt etc that we've coincidentally been lacking).

I'm not suggesting that properly partnered/roled and puck supported that he'd be better than Hughes, I'm saying that he'd more often than not be put in position to make a net positive difference to the lineup. Something he (nor a bunch of other Canucks in the past 5+ years) have been put in position to do. 

Apologies, thanks for clarification. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's a shame ARZ reportedly wants to start competing this season. For a cool $1m of actual salary, we could have taken say Crouse and his $17.2m ($4.3x4) in salary back, saving that penny-pinching org over $16m in cash commitment.

Waiving him only clears ~$1.1m of his cap. Buying him out (which we already missed) would actually cost us MORE cap once you factor in his replacement.

Every player playing in the NHL (and probably a few hundred who aren't) are "ok" by default.

Myers could be a decent, complementary 2nd pair, offensive leaning D with size/intangibles, good leadership etc who occasionally brain farts and needs a good defensive D to cover him (the exact type of D who would also pair with Hughes, OEL, Schmidt etc that we've coincidentally been lacking).

I'm not suggesting that properly partnered/roled and puck supported that he'd be better than Hughes, I'm saying that he'd more often than not be put in position to make a net positive difference to the lineup. Something he (nor a bunch of other Canucks in the past 5+ years) have been put in position to do. 

One of these decades I'll figure out how this game works ... or not. :unsure:

• Haha 3

It will be interesting to see how he does anyways.. there’s enough variables (better top 4, better team structure, healthy Demko, better bottom 6 two-way C’s, contract year) that I’m high on him having a bounce back.  It wouldn’t be a huge surprise if he struggles either - but my bet is that he does fine.

I’d also be legitimately shocked if he’s traded.  We’re already thin at 5 regular NHL d men - 6 if you count Irwin. He’s been the go-to RHD on the team for the last 3 coaches.  I’ll eat my hat if they move him without a replacement during a “go for it” year.  

Based on the rumours, I think they explored a Myers for Labanc trade with the idea of buying out Labanc… something changed management’s mind to buying out OEL (SJ dragging their feet and the fact Cole/Soucy/Bleuger wouldn’t wait until Sept 16 to sign with us?  Just flat out unconfident in OEL?) but now that that move is made, why trade Myers now? 

Only exception would be if there’s a move to bring someone in - IMO also unlikely given how late it is in the offseason but I guess we’ll see.

• Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

*mobile alert*

the Vancouver Canucks have deposited $5M into your chequing account

*mobile alert* 

you have been traded to the San Jose Sharks

The person you are trying to reach has a modified no-trade clause. Please speak to the players agent first....

• Haha 3