The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

37 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

He also said we’re trying hard to acquire William Nylander.

Not that I believe there’s any truth to that but you gotta wonder about how much pressure Allvin is feeling to keep Petey happy and get him re-signed.

Is acquiring another star player to play along side him the way to do it?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not that I believe there’s any truth to that but you gotta wonder about how much pressure Allvin is feeling to keep Petey happy and get him re-signed.

Is acquiring another star player to play along side him the way to do it?

Not in my opinion. We are having cap issues as it is. That would only exacerbate it, unless they took a few of our bad contracts back.

Myers will have good  value at this years TDL 

or if a a contender loses a D during  the season.

if we pay to get rid of him now expect that team to flip him and get a decent return at the TDL. 

garland and other wingers(pearson)  are the guys that should be moved out /given away to make cap space. 

28 minutes ago, combover said:

Myers will have good  value at this years TDL 

or if a a contender loses a D during  the season.

if we pay to get rid of him now expect that team to flip him and get a decent return at the TDL. 

garland and other wingers(pearson)  are the guys that should be moved out /given away to make cap space. 

He probably won’t, his cap hit is just too big.

Not many teams will have the cap space for even half his cap hit if we retain, and there are just better uses for scarce cap hits by contenders.

The guys who had value last year were on the cheapest deals or were just really good.  Myers would need to have a VERY good season to rehab his value around the league.  That isn’t impossible if he is put on a 3rd pairing like he belongs and not asked to be a minute munching shut down guy… which he is just ill suited to and putting him in a position to fail.

We also may be in a playoff race, so wouldn’t want to be selling off players in that situation.

If everything works out perfectly and a contender has an LTIR and needs a RHD, then maybe we get a 3rd or 4th round pick if we retain 50%.

A bird in the hand, if there is a deal for Myers now then move him.  The cap space would be more valuable as a potential small return at the deadline.  There will be a lot of solid players shaking out at the end of training camp due to cap constraints and young, cheaper players beating out more expensive veterans.  You want some space to be in that game.

I’m sure Canucks have called on a lot of players to see what asking price is

im sure they called on nylander to check in on price more out of curiosity and trying to stay aware of the market 

also in a nylander trade you would prob expect Boeser going the other way for cap reasons 

if TO was going to get a massive awesome offer for nylander they would have taken it already 

Alvin may even be interested in nylander as a rental to help get the team off to a good start and into the season sign Petey and then get into playoffs …

I bet they offered Brock+ Rathbone+ Hoglander and a 3rd or something like that which TO obviously says no to…

pinto - now that’s interesting 

increases our young C depth 

probably offering - Hoglander or podkolzin + woo 

bit we still need more help on D…

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

He probably won’t, his cap hit is just too big.

Not many teams will have the cap space for even half his cap hit if we retain, and there are just better uses for scarce cap hits by contenders.

The guys who had value last year were on the cheapest deals or were just really good.  Myers would need to have a VERY good season to rehab his value around the league.  That isn’t impossible if he is put on a 3rd pairing like he belongs and not asked to be a minute munching shut down guy… which he is just ill suited to and putting him in a position to fail.

We also may be in a playoff race, so wouldn’t want to be selling off players in that situation.

If everything works out perfectly and a contender has an LTIR and needs a RHD, then maybe we get a 3rd or 4th round pick if we retain 50%.

A bird in the hand, if there is a deal for Myers now then move him.  The cap space would be more valuable as a potential small return at the deadline.  There will be a lot of solid players shaking out at the end of training camp due to cap constraints and young, cheaper players beating out more expensive veterans.  You want some space to be in that game.

Ben Chiarot at half retained (1.75 mil) was traded out for a 1st and a 4th round pick.  Myers is better IMO, is bigger, and costs a little more.  

Myers fetches an easy 2nd round pick at the deadline. 

45 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Ben Chiarot at half retained (1.75 mil) was traded out for a 1st and a 4th round pick.  Myers is better IMO, is bigger, and costs a little more.  

Myers fetches an easy 2nd round pick at the deadline. 

Hmm I can see their sales pitch now… “Less good, twice the price…. and… ummm… taller?”

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:07 PM, grandmaster said:

It really boggles my mind that some folks around here are saying Myers is a positive impact on our team with a lessor role. 

The guy is absolutely garbage. I like RT but there is no way a coach can help with a player that has this low hockey IQ.

Just watch this video. This is what Myers would do EVERY GOD DAMN GAME last season. This 4 second video is Myers. I don’t know what some of you are talking about. He cost us a LOT of games.

IMG_3010.mov 10.87 MB · 3 downloads

I couldn't agree more. Myers by far more than any other player single handedly lost the Canucks so many games it was absolutely maddening!

It's shocking and laughable that some fans think at a lesser contract Myers would be fine in a limited role doing some pk work lol 

The guy is an absolute disaster defensively and makes so many mistakes he made OEL look alright.

On the PK Myers especially got worked badly it was like being down a man and a half lumbering around like a huge pylon, screening the goalie and leaving too much time and space for opposing stars their way with our goalies.

If they can find a new home this would make the team much stronger overall and leave less weaknesses for the opposing teams to expose and would go a long way at making the playoffs which I think they definitely will especially without Myers killing them.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

17 hours ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

I couldn't agree more. Myers by far more than any other player single handedly lost the Canucks so many games it was absolutely maddening!

It's shocking and laughable that some fans think at a lesser contract Myers would be fine in a limited role doing some pk work lol 

The guy is an absolute disaster defensively and makes so many mistakes he made OEL look alright.

On the PK Myers especially got worked badly it was like being down a man and a half lumbering around like a huge pylon, screening the goalie and leaving too much time and space for opposing stars their way with our goalies.

If they can find a new home this would make the team much stronger overall and leave less weaknesses for the opposing teams to expose and would go a long way at making the playoffs which I think they definitely will especially without Myers killing them.

Yup and some folks also saying that with limited minutes on the 3rd line he can be good. Not happening. He is absolutely brutal 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yup and some folks also saying that with limited minutes on the 3rd line he can be good. Not happening. He is absolutely brutal 

One of my lasting images of last year, played over and over, was the puck in our net with Myers looking around covering no one or completely out of position. I hate dumping on the guy but man I hope we move on. Addition by substraction.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2