The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, KFan said:

I don't this new management team, unlike Benning, lets good players go with no return (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom). 

Benning didn’t trade Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom because we were in the middle of a playoff race. Same reason why JR isn’t going to trade Miller, Motte, Boeser, Myers or Schenn. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, KFan said:

Like you DLC, I'm a big Miller fan, maybe even moreso. I think, right now he is as important to the team as Petey, Quinn and Demko; again, that's right now, and I don't think we let him go. I know this is unpopular to a lot of fans, but I'd trade Bo for a great return and make Miller Captain. Waiting for the negative feedback.

Honestly, I think Miller is captain in everything but name right now. 

The thing is we don't have anyone that can eat the hard minutes that Bo eats, and I doubt anyone would be willing to move a player that can. 

Personally, I don't actually think Bo is all that great at eating those hard defensive minutes, but he's unfortunately the best we've got, if not for any other reason than his FO percentage. 

I said this in another thread, but ideally what we need is a better version of Bo anchoring our 2nd line if we want to be real contenders.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning didn’t trade Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom because we were in the middle of a playoff race. Same reason why JR isn’t going to trade Miller, Motte, Boeser, Myers or Schenn. 

You are correct. It just drives me crazy that we lost 3 very good players for no return.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 32 games (Since Boudreau took over):

Vancouver:  20-8-4 = 44 points 

Colorado:  25-4-3 = 53 points 

Colorado is the best team points wise in the NHL…

big question is if Kuemper can keep things going in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

The Tyler Motte situation is interesting.

I know he's in line for his best contract, and is an obvious piece to recoup assets, but.... I just think he's too important to lose.

This 4th line is the most effective one we've had as long as I can remember, & he's the one who drives it. Having that line really makes our team a lot better. Plus penalty killing, and being a go-to option when trying to close out a game like last night.

I know we've gotten in trouble with bottom six contracts before, but I don't think he'll be easy to replace

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I thought the first intermission was hilarious. 
Hrudey goes on this long tangent about his issues with anxiety and not feeling good enough.  Way to long for a hockey program but then McLean craps all over it by listing all the times that Campbell wasn’t good enough in excruciating detail. 
Absolutely hilarious how out of sync those two were. 

Oh and fun game by the Canucks though they looked like Green’s passive box came back for the second period.  After the initial Bruce bump, we languished around 500 briefly but have picked it back up to the pace needed. I hope we are the ones who knock VGK out of playoffs for the first time. 

You do know we "languished" with the same excuses Green had last season right? 

I keep reiterating this but can't state it strongly enough.....this coach is perfect. 

His post game was short and sweet and, despite the fact that it's obvious he does great work with the team in practice and on ice, he simply plays cheerleader at the right times in the room and doesn't get in the way of the boys celebrating their success. They come off the ice on a high and just let's that play out.

Sometimes less is more and the words he says and how he says them are clearly impactful.

I really wasn't an "anti Green" person and won't throw him under the bus....sometimes things just do grow stale and change and a fresh perspective is needed. But it takes the right coach to step in and take a team that's all but given up and help them turn that around.

Coach of the year stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Last 32 games (Since Boudreau took over):

Vancouver:  20-8-4 = 44 points 

Colorado:  25-4-3 = 53 points 

Colorado is the best team points wise in the NHL…

Factual information.   Sakic was completely roasted by the media for waiting so long to trade Duchene ... just like he was as a player - one Stoic dude.  Was getting totally crucified by not just their local media but by the hockey world media in general.   Aside from some history with us and COL - it makes me a little happy to see that disappear.   Guys something else. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What was this moment about?

I was busy with my wife and fam. Did he miss an assignment? pressure of a possible trade incoming? contract talks? anything in the game that caused this or just general frustration?

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

We have a "grass is always greener" membership in our fanbase that always feels that there's something better that you can just upgrade with. It's like a kid at Christmas anticipating the presents under the tree....but you might get socks.

We have some really great pieces (building blocks is right) in place and you RISK losing some of that as you tear it apart. We've just gone through that to some degree with Marky and Tanev...but we did have Demko and so that was a big part of it. We don't have a back up Miller.

People have the shiny new toy syndrome and expect that whatever comes our way is awesome and foolproof. We're starting to see that some of what we already have is worth focusing on.

It's almost like talking about trades has become more a matter of expecting immediate upgrades and future wins. A formula that guarantees success, but it's not realistic.  That's a big "if".

Well said.

If they trade Miller there is no replacement/improvement coming, and frankly there may never be another one in the life cycle of this core. He's that important & that good.

I think going forward we need 1 more stud top 3 defenseman, another 3L center option (since Dickinson hasn't worked), and to fix our penalty killing. Creating the space to do that is going to be tricky but thats how we get to the next level imo. (And this is already looking like a playoff team under Bruce)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I was busy with my wife and fam. Did he miss an assignment? pressure of a possible trade incoming? contract talks? anything in the game that caused this or just general frustration?

Horrific turnover that was essentially a one-time pass to (arguably) the league's best goal scorer. 

Edited by nergish
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

And the rest of us will throw a huge party.

We need a player like this if we're ever going to have a chance at anything. He's ours and of course other teams want him....which is exactly why we keep him.

I personally think not only should we keep him but should be targeting guys in their prime opposed to trading them for kids.

People seems tuck on the idea we need everyone to be the same age as Petey but unless we are hoping for a cup when he's 28-29ish I think that line of thinking isn't very proven. Older teams win cups that not really debatable. 

Plus teams usually need a couple of runs that fail before learning how to go the distance.

We have a great core that has a nice mix of age and the focus should be on trimming cap on expendable players and getting guys that can help win now not 5 years from now with a new core because ours left to join winning teams.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He made a perfect pass to Matthew's who blew it past Demko. 

43 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well said.

If they trade Miller there is no replacement/improvement coming, and frankly there may never be another one in the life cycle of this core. He's that important & that good.

I think going forward we need 1 more stud top 3 defenseman, another 3L center option (since Dickinson hasn't worked), and to fix our penalty killing. Creating the space to do that is going to be tricky but thats how we get to the next level imo. (And this is already looking like a playoff team under Bruce)

Unfortunately, we really need 2 defensive-minded defensemen, both for the right side. Someone like Oleksiak might be available if Seattle wants to do a real rebuild (we'd have to give up a young asset or a draft pick) - he can play both left and right side. Maybe one of Siegenthaler or Severson from New Jersey as well. It's not actually totally out of the realm of possibility to add guys like this from a cap perspective, it looks like the typical cost of a really solid defensive defenseman (Oleksiak, Tanev, etc.) is about 4-4.5m/year. 

We'd need to move Myers, and try to cap dump Dickinson, but the space could be made. There's probably a deal to be made for Myers with a team that's really lacking in RHD that doesn't involve us giving up any assets to move him, he's actually played to his contract value this year (just not at all what we need). 

Then like you mentioned, we need a forward. We actually do have 4 centers which is good - Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko, and it's nice to see BB using them on all different lines. Getting 1 C/W whos a penalty killing stud (Beagle and Sutter were never replaced) is also what we need. 

A defence like:
Hughes-Oleksiak
OEL-Severson
Rathbone-Hamonic

Looks well balanced with 3 offensive defenseman, and 3 defensive. For penalty killing, Oleksiak slides to the left side and plays with Severson as  your top PK pair. OEL and Hamonic are the second.