The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, what do you call that OT play if that's not pouting. I'm not being negative at all just being slightly honest and realistic. I know that's tough on some folks here. JT Miller can be 'not the best in the world" at something. It's okay Sam! I think anyone being honest with themselves will admit he gets a little pissy at times when the chips are down. I don't think it's the end of the world so no need to go defending his honor or anything. Just trying to have a conversation.

Easy to call out from this wonderful land we chat it.

I don’t have to defend anyones honour,.  his game speaks for itself, goals , assists, hits, leadership style.

All far better than any of our ghost of a Captains qualities.. who seems to be sinking on his own ship somewhere in that quiet space of a clichéd mind of his.

It’s so easy to target someone flying in the open,  throwing everything out there to win, Than someone that sunk before Christmas.

Perhaps it’s really time to compare the qualities between Miller and Horvat.

If your going to go negative on this player, you should easily be able to see how disengaged Horvat is in comparison.

Or is he some silent King?

Edited by SilentSam

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Miller firing up the team? The point is that no one else shows the fire that he does, which is why he's often cited as the one to lead the team into the fight because he wants to win so badly, rather than accepting losing and having what Bruce called the woe-is-me mentality. 

Him and Garland 

God why do we got to piss over one of best players if he deserves a bit of praise he should get it. Like sending him out to clean the horse stalls or something. Is that a Canadian thing? Like stiff upper lip and all that. Mus'nt make a ballyhoo. Inherited British conservatism. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

You must be joking, right? I want someone who leads with passion and drive. Definitely wouldn't want you on my team. 

do you or do you not think "coma-toast" is an actual word that people use?

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Say what you want about the type of leader Miller is, but he was one of the only guys producing when things were at their worst.

And if he played any role in getting Green fired at all, hang his jersey in the freakin rafters.

I agree and let's be honest a lot of the issues people bring up were under TG and we now know JT was clearly not in his corner unlike Horvat and that's the cause of some of the perceived rift we heard about.

But give me the guy who shows emotion and gets pissed off when things suck. I mean take the situation with Brock after the bad play he made, JT was the one to pick him up and he's also the guy who brings it every game and practice.

Maybe I'm way off but I think most guys certainly #43, 06, and #40, look to him as the leader at least on the ice.

I do think Bruce's comments on him lend credence to it.

If we had no captain right now would people really choose anyone over him?

If he wants to be here and we trade him it will be Neely, 2.0.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

c'mon, we've all seen what he does when he's down.  To say he isn't like that is pointless.  I just don't find him to be this great leader that many mythologize him into

Swearing and breaking sticks doesn't make him less of a leader and the one event where he gave up was dumb but that hasn't happened since.

Personally I prefer pissed off to seeing guys smiling and perusing with the opposition.

JT is the one who spoke up on the schedule and not once used tired cliches to defend the team during the last weeks before the coaching change. 

What does Horvat do that makes him a leader? He parroted the same crap TG would say.

I like Horvat bit he's wildly inconsistent and hasn't carried this team on his back the way you would expect from your captain, JT on the other hand does it quite often.

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

Time for a new thread. This one has almost descended beyond repair. I'm confident Bo will be a hoarse and a beast for us in the play-offs. This will be fun.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Horvat but I hate that reasoning when comparing him to JT and who has the best traits to lead.

JT will also step up his game but unlike Horvat if we make the playoffs I would bet that JT will be right near the top as to why we made it.

Horvat has almost all his goals on the pp and is mostly invisible otherwise.

People whine about Brock but even his worst season he's still producing better.

Lol oilers lose but man, the kings are for real... 

Afraid our boys will be 9th best.... 

So far, the top 8 teams are deserving of those spots. 

I knew Anaheim ans SJ would falter earlier in the year but the resilience of the kings is respected. 

It's gonna be tough when the guys above us keep winning

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t have to defend anyones honour,.  his game speaks for itself, goals , assists, hits, leadership style.

All far better than any of our ghost of a Captains qualities.. who seems to be sinking on his own ship somewhere in that quiet space of a clichéd mind of his.

It’s so easy to target someone flying in the open,  throwing everything out there to win, Than someone that sunk before Christmas.

If your going to go negative on this player, you should easily be able to see how disengaged Horvat is in comparison.

Okay first of all I think Miller is awesome. I never said otherwise. My comment was in the middle of a civil conversation regarding his leadership qualities. Secondly I'm not "going negative" on him because myself and others notice some leadership deficiencies. Despite your fairytale world beliefs J.T. is not the perfect hockey player, no one is. Secondly, never once was Bo ever mentioned, nor was a leadership comparison mentioned. Thirdly, I've in fact brought up the lack of leadership on this team and I'm on record saying I'm not sure if Bo is the right guy at this point. In addition I'm not even necessarily against Miller in a leadership role moving forward despite a couple rough areas.

Maybe you should get off your high horse, read a little bit before commenting, and not come in guns a blazing screaming, ranting and raving at people like the madman your avatar portrays. Some people such as yourself just go off the rails getting carried away about stuff and now somehow you're anointing J.T. as the best leader in history. Just providing a little dose of reality and perspective. You can simultaneously be a great hockey player and not be perfect, but still good at some things. Get a grip man!

Edited by Gawdzukes

41 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol oilers lose but man, the kings are for real... 

Afraid our boys will be 9th best.... 

So far, the top 8 teams are deserving of those spots. 

I knew Anaheim ans SJ would falter earlier in the year but the resilience of the kings is respected. 

It's gonna be tough when the guys above us keep winning

NSH & DAL both have 2 games in hand for the wild card. (Plus Minny has 3). It's going to be tough.

Gotta keep making the most of our games & hope we continue gaining ground.

17 hours ago, Jester13 said:

We've seen fire. Only the team and coaching staff know whether he's pouty or a leader, but what we do know is that the coach, and many others, see it differently than you do. 

and you know this how?  I've seen many comments on him beiong the best player and I doubt anypone would argue that

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

NSH & DAL both have 2 games in hand for the wild card. (Plus Minny has 3). It's going to be tough.

Gotta keep making the most of our games & hope we continue gaining ground.

Yeah i keep asking myself if the cutoff for playoffs will really be 98-99 pts.... 

That seems really high but those teams keep winning

On 3/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, eeeeergh said:

Unfortunately, we really need 2 defensive-minded defensemen, both for the right side. Someone like Oleksiak might be available if Seattle wants to do a real rebuild (we'd have to give up a young asset or a draft pick) - he can play both left and right side. Maybe one of Siegenthaler or Severson from New Jersey as well. It's not actually totally out of the realm of possibility to add guys like this from a cap perspective, it looks like the typical cost of a really solid defensive defenseman (Oleksiak, Tanev, etc.) is about 4-4.5m/year. 

We'd need to move Myers, and try to cap dump Dickinson, but the space could be made. There's probably a deal to be made for Myers with a team that's really lacking in RHD that doesn't involve us giving up any assets to move him, he's actually played to his contract value this year (just not at all what we need). 

Then like you mentioned, we need a forward. We actually do have 4 centers which is good - Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko, and it's nice to see BB using them on all different lines. Getting 1 C/W whos a penalty killing stud (Beagle and Sutter were never replaced) is also what we need. 

A defence like:
Hughes-Oleksiak
OEL-Severson
Rathbone-Hamonic

Looks well balanced with 3 offensive defenseman, and 3 defensive. For penalty killing, Oleksiak slides to the left side and plays with Severson as  your top PK pair. OEL and Hamonic are the second. 

The way I see building a defense is you need a top 3 of legit guys you can count on to play big minutes. Then you find a good compliment(s) for the #4 that are also capable but don't have to be the same level. Looking at past winners;

TB; Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak - #4's included Shattenkirk, Bogo, Rutta, exc.

STL; Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester. #4 was Edmundson. (Gunnarsson also played with Petro at times)

WSH; Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen. Then they had Kempny playing well with Carlson.

Especially if you have a #1D that you can play with the #4, and then a good pairing of legit #2/3 types. With Hughes & Ekman-Larsson we have a good #1 & #2, but we need to find the third guy & it has to be Right side.

I do wonder about Myers & what we could do with him. Say even if you retained 1M, maybe you could then get assets back that could be used to bolster the roster. I know it's tough to envision retaining with our cap situation but if we could make some other moves maybe it could happen.

I'm thinking if you can get 1st/2nd round picks and/or touted prospects for a few guys, that could allow us to flip those assets into good players that fit moving forward.

And I agree we need to replace Dickinson with a different C/W that can play T9/PK. That's the other big issue. Fingers crossed we can move him. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Wow.   Ghosts of captains past.   Miller couldn't wear either Smyl's or Lindens jockstrap so far in that category.   As far as "silent King" goes - that trophy goes to Sakic.   And no Horvat doesn't come close to that either.    Leadership comes in a lot of different ways.   What did OEL say again about our team when he came in?   Sure that's already forgotten.    Been emotional doesn't make you a good leader.   Neither does been emotionless.    Miller meh - he's the best we have right now big deal.   We've had a lot better in the past.   But i suppose because he's the best we have right now he's amazing to some. 

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Swearing and breaking sticks doesn't make him less of a leader and the one event where he gave up was dumb but that hasn't happened since.

Personally I prefer pissed off to seeing guys smiling and perusing with the opposition.

JT is the one who spoke up on the schedule and not once used tired cliches to defend the team during the last weeks before the coaching change. 

What does Horvat do that makes him a leader? He parroted the same crap TG would say.

I like Horvat bit he's wildly inconsistent and hasn't carried this team on his back the way you would expect from your captain, JT on the other hand does it quite often.

He does seem a little off right now. His interview on Saturday was telling. He seemed preoccupied at best and/or dejected. Of course the media was being negative as usual, which doesn't help for a Captain who must feel partly responsible for the team's poor showing at the start of the season. I'm less concerned about his point totals, given the defensive role he has almost every game. He's one of the reasons why the team rocks insofar as GA.

I truly hope he still maintains great respect from the room and to a lessor extent with the circus of officials, management, and media. If not, a trade would seem the the only option.

Frankly, they should all be leaders. For example, I love how Motte carries himself on and off the ice and I love Miller's open emotion and fiery nature. That said, I have no idea who would make the best Captain. I don't even think about it because I have no major beef with our current Captain. Sure I would like to see more physical aggression but he's still young and already ahead of Henrik and other recent captains in that category. Since BB, this Team is making me proud to be a forever Canuck.