The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars re-sign Joe Pavelski

Good for him, he's got a good thing going in Dallas

I don't see him as a guy who wants to bounce around as he gets into the twilight of his career either, he'll probably retire having played for two teams 

Edited by Coconuts

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wish performance bonuses could be a thing for more contracts.

That would be great, then when you have a flop of a signing you can cut the player or they earn only a base salary if they don't meet certain point or games played requirements etc

28 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I will admit that seeing Pavelski just keep ticking does make me wonder if Miller can do the same thing.  Pavelski has been a ridiculously consistent producer for so long.  Only a couple of down years over his career.

Agreed, but is 7m he makes now and 5.5m next year the same as JT and his 8-9m annual salary for his mid 30s aged seasons? I doubt JT can perform at Pavelski's current level and JT would be making a lot more $ too. If JT signs a 5yr 9m per deal you do it from Vancouver stand point. I also like the idea of having an internal cap and having a set bar for 1 player to make no more than X Y or Z salary...for example I don't want any Canucks making 10m or more per season, you can't have a balanced team...not in Vancouver in a tax free state like Florida etc that is a savings on its own compared to Vancouver, sad that it exists as it is a factor when players sign more often than not I would bet!

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Damn. Was hoping he would make it to UFA and get a crack at him.

I think he would be a good piece to bring some more leadership and has been aging like a fine wine offensively but guess you will have to look elsewhere.

But he's in his late 30's and is doooomed to decline ;)

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I will admit that seeing Pavelski just keep ticking does make me wonder if Miller can do the same thing.  Pavelski has been a ridiculously consistent producer for so long.  Only a couple of down years over his career.

The panic over 30+ players is crazy not every player drops off magically at 30 like Loui. Ovi is just fine, Crosby is fine Malkin fine, guys like Pavelski fine, Spezza ect. Joe Thornton didn’t start dropping off until he was 39 and even still he is useful as a depth/leadership piece.

Being 30 in the NHL isn’t an automatic career death or reason to panic about a signing as some here like to believe. 

I wouldn’t build a team made mostly of 30+ Year old players in todays NHL but having a couple isn’t terrible either reasonable contract/production values considered. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The panic over 30+ players is crazy not every player drops off magically at 30 like Loui. Ovi is just fine, Crosby is fine Malkin fine, guys like Pavelski fine, Spezza ect. Joe Thornton didn’t start dropping off until he was 39 and even still he is useful as a depth/leadership piece.

Being 30 in the NHL isn’t an automatic career death or reason to panic about a signing as some here like to believe. 

I wouldn’t build a team made mostly of 30+ Year old players in todays NHL but having a couple isn’t terrible either reasonable contract/production values considered. 

I think the issue though is having a lot of term and $ tied to player well into his 30s and who is expected to keep occupying a key role. 

In the case of Pavelski, he signed his current $7M AAV contract in 2019/2020 (about 8.6% of the cap of $81.5M that year) so he was already 34/35.   Pretty amazing - I imagine this is an outlier for a player of that age who, while being very good, had never quite been regarded as "elite".

Pavelski's previous contract was $6M AAV which started in 2014/2015.  This is considering essentially point per game production from 2013 to 2016 when he would have been 29 to 32.  Cap in 2014/2015 (he would have been 29/30 yrs old) was $69M so his salary would have also started out at around 8.6% of the cap.  Bearing in mind the roster construction at the time (i.e. Thornton, Couture, Marleau and Burns), there might have been a slight discount on his part.  Still, that would amount to a cap hit of about $7.1M AAV based on next year's projected cap of around $82.5M.  That contract ended in 2018/2019 when he would have been 34/35.

Pavelski's actually an interesting comparable for Miller as he also didn't always play C and has basically also been an all situations guy.  Miller at $7.1M AAV for 5-7 years after his current contract could work out well for the Canucks if he can have a Pavelski like trajectory.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1