The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in John Marino

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Severson, while certainly a decent D, just feels like another Band-Aid rather than a legit, long term solution. A lateral move from Myers (similar skill set/ability, slightly younger), who will likely command a similar cap hit, and doesn't drastically move the needle still.

I know a lot of folks want us to chase him but....meh.

He's literally Myers just not as tall. Probably should have just done the bone + 2nd + ? For Marino.

Instead we are wasting bone, Wasted the 2nd and took on cap back by trying to see if Bear is anything close to a reliable dman. Most the season left but it's funny to think back to things that were possible and see what we did instead haha!:P

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We had a shot at a top 4 Dman who was available on the trade market, a player who played in Pittsburgh of all places under the management of JR/PA. And we blew it. Almost never does a top 4 Dman come available via trade. 

And what New Jersey gave up for him we could have easily matched that with Rathbone and a 3rd and maybe another prospect. As for cap space, our management felt it more important to sign wingers than fix the defence so here we are. 

It would have been better just to let Boeser walk for free to free up the cap space needed to get Marino. At the end of the day Boeser isn’t even in our top 6 any longer. And Marino would have been Quinn’s partner. 

A top 4 RHD was the absolute priority this summer. Not re-signing Boeser or signing more wingers in free agency. 

But imagine the potential loss of Not signing Mihkey or KuZ . 

I didn’t think Boeser was worth what he signed for , before, or after the deal.

He isn’t going to bring much back, and now possibly having to retain a portion of his contract if he is moved.

I think we’re in a better position having signed Mihkey and Kuz. .  Who were FA’s.

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

But imagine the potential loss of Not signing Mihkey or KuZ . 

I didn’t think Boeser was worth what he signed for , before, or after the deal.

He isn’t going to bring much back, and now possibly having to retain a portion of his contract if he is moved.

I think we’re in a better position having signed Mihkey and Kuz. .  Who were FA’s.

I love the Ilya and Kuz signings, but you don't make the Ilya deal until you have a solid solution to the missing Top4 dman; just foolish. The real double down on the insanity was the Beoser resign. PA is SO scared of making a move that doesn't pan out OR losing an "asset" (I use that term loosely with Boeser) he does nothing meaningful....yet is wasting cap one small useless trades or signings all the time. He has Analysis Paralysis. 

After last night, I think we need a major shakeup, and need it now. Losing to NJ is no biggy (they are a great team), but losing the way we did, with an apparent lack of effort at times and poor preparation is alarming. I think it is time to trade some major assets (not just Boeser), get a new proven HC that fits the FOs philosophies. This all includes resigning Bo; he is our heart.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Severson, while certainly a decent D, just feels like another Band-Aid rather than a legit, long term solution. A lateral move from Myers (similar skill set/ability, slightly younger), who will likely command a similar cap hit, and doesn't drastically move the needle still.

I know a lot of folks want us to chase him but....meh.

If we were set to compete he would have been a good target in a hockey trade, however the Canucks have proven they are not ready and they need to do a veteran tear down and reset building around Petey, Hughes, Demko and Podz.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I love the Ilya and Kuz signings, but you don't make the Ilya deal until you have a solid solution to the missing Top4 dman; just foolish. The real double down on the insanity was the Beoser resign. PA is SO scared of making a move that doesn't pan out OR losing an "asset" (I use that term loosely with Boeser) he does nothing meaningful....yet is wasting cap one small useless trades or signings all the time. He has Analysis Paralysis. 

After last night, I think we need a major shakeup, and need it now. Losing to NJ is no biggy (they are a great team), but losing the way we did, with an apparent lack of effort at times and poor preparation is alarming. I think it is time to trade some major assets (not just Boeser), get a new proven HC that fits the FOs philosophies. This all includes resigning Bo; he is our heart.

Start of the season, everyone trying to figure their clubs out..

I think Brock caught this management at a time where they didn’t want to seem unpopular to the fan base.

Idealy , that RFA signing should have been a single year at his Qualifying..  

With still the option to trade.

I do appreciate Bo,.  As much as I think he might be the asset to move that might align our D core,  I’d rather see someone else go.

The question is,  What is Bo asking ?

His game has elevated,  which makes him valuable to us ,.  And possibly others.

All cards down,.  I’d like to think Boeser might be better off closer to home.. Minnesota.

Perhaps there is a hockey trade there that helps both clubs.

Dumba was a named mentioned last year, and both players are at roughly the same cap hit.

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Brock caught this management at a time where they didn’t want to seem unpopular to the fan base.

I do appreciate Bo,.  As much as I think he might be the asset to move that might align our D core,  I’d rather see someone else go.

All cards down,.  I’d like to think Boeser might be better off closer to home.. Minnesota.

Dumba was a named mentioned last year, and both players are at roughly the same cap hit.

Bo is playing well (on the PP anyway) but it is also a contract year. Not surprising most of these guys have career years when they need to sign a new contract. IMHO Bo needs to be traded and the culture needs to be reset around the under 25 year old players.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Boeser for Dumba works for me, but I think the Wild want to reduce their cap, so that wouldn't work for them.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Boeser for Dumba works for me, but I think the Wild want to reduce their cap, so that wouldn't work for them.

Minnesota has zero need for Boeser. We don't need Dumba. It's been a stupid trade proposal for the last 3 years and nothing has changed to make it a smart one. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Minnesota has zero need for Boeser. We don't need Dumba. It's been a stupid trade proposal for the last 3 years and nothing has changed to make it a smart one. 

I wouldn't say "ZERO" need... they've got guys like Shaw, Duhaime, and Jost in their top 9.  Boeser is a clear upgrade on any of those 3.  Of course, that's in a world where cap space is not a thing.

Likewise, Dumba would give the Canucks a top 4 RHD with ability to move the puck.  Not perfect by any means, but neither is Boeser.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't say "ZERO" need... they've got guys like Shaw, Duhaime, and Jost in their top 9.  Boeser is a clear upgrade on any of those 3.  Of course, that's in a world where cap space is not a thing.

Likewise, Dumba would give the Canucks a top 4 RHD with ability to move the puck.  Not perfect by any means, but neither is Boeser.

No more defencemen who can't play defence.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And when you actually watch the game as opposed to what some dweeb with a spreadsheet thinks, Myers is far better.  

Lol, this is personal opinion.  I've watched both play, and albeit I don't think Myers is TERRIBLE, I'd definitely prefer Dumba over Myers.

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

They have 3 vets in their-9 injured (Foligno, Hartman and Greenway) + 4th liner Duhaime is also injured - that obviously opened up spots higher in their lineup.  That's only temporary though and not how they would line up with everyone healthy.

Jost was actually a healthy scratch before injury got him back in the lineup.  Duhaime is a 4th liner - they want an energy line.  Shaw is otherwise in the AHL but injury got him a callup for the 4th line.  

There's really no room for Boeser in their top-9 once they are all healthy.  Kaprizov-Zucc are tied to the hip.  Greenway-Ek-Foligno line is essential to their success and has been a complete mess whenever one of the 3 is missing.  Evason will never play Gaudreau outside of the top-9 as he sees him as a safety net to whichever line he's on and there's Boldy/Rossi.

Could still see them adding someone on an expiring contract in case Rossi can't hold in the top-9 but not with term - Boldy is going to get paid this off-season + their window really opens up once their buyouts are off the books - can't really contend with that much dead cap.

Edited by mll