The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Dermott | #24 | D

-AJ-

Have been really impressed with Travis. Calm, steady presence, but also has the ability to skate and move the puck.

The previous regime may have given out picks for short term stop gaps, but I believe we made this deal because the new regime sees long-term value in Dermott.

Seems like a 5 who has the ceiling of being a 3, but will likely top out to be a solid 4/5.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, lmm said:

naw

not really

every GM has brought some good players to the team

Quinn brought Linden and Bure and the Ronning et al deal

the much hated Keenan brought Bertuzzi

Burke- Sedins

Nonis- Kesler/Edler/ Luongo

Gillis - Malhotra/Erhoff/Horvat

Benning-Petey/Miller/Demko

the problem with the Miller trade is not Miller, but that it ended the building period

the Canucks were 1 point away from the Miller trade ending up like the Kessel trade to Toronto

It was a good gamble by Tampa that the Canucks might miss the playoffs both seasons and Tampa end up with a lotto pick

For that reason, Benning was forced to buy at the deadline to negate the possibility of giving up a 1-2 OA like the Leafs did

Miller is great and I love the guy

but the timing was bad on that trade

as bad as a first for OEL

and as bad a first would have been for help getting in this year (didn't happen, thankfully)

If Miller doesn't resign in Vancouver, he will be gone when the players lost are coming into the league

If he is traded, like the return will be for assets not ready for 5 years

Miller, very likely, will be a pleasant blip in a stalled rebuild

edit

when you look at the trades above

the Ronning, Erhoff and Miller deals were for the present

while the Burtuzzi, Sedin and Horvat deals were for the future

the reason some of us really liked Quinn is because he retooled the team quickly, (Like Jim B said he would)

Was it a trade of a 1st for OEL? Or was it a 1st and 2nd for Garland and OEL? I think it’s more the latter.

• Cheers 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:24 PM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Was it a trade of a 1st for OEL? Or was it a 1st and 2nd for Garland and OEL? I think it’s more the latter.

The way I see the trade is we moved a 1st and a 2nd to unload Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel's contracts (which is the cost of cap dumps). Garland was basically a throw in for taking over OEL's contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, MrCanuck94 said:

Have been really impressed with Travis. Calm, steady presence, but also has the ability to skate and move the puck.

The previous regime may have given out picks for short term stop gaps, but I believe we made this deal because the new regime sees long-term value in Dermott.

Seems like a 5 who has the ceiling of being a 3, but will likely top out to be a solid 4/5.

Dermott is so underrated in Nuck nation - and that's probably a good thing because expectations won't be sky-high. Our defence is far from perfect, but he's very versatile (can play both sides) and can play top-4 if asked to. And he's only 25! 

I know we all hate the Leafs, but he's one of us now...

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Dermott is so underrated in Nuck nation - and that's probably a good thing because expectations won't be sky-high. Our defence is far from perfect, but he's very versatile (can play both sides) and can play top-4 if asked to. And he's only 25! 

I know we all hate the Leafs, but he's one of us now...

People have been sleeping on this guy ever since he first put on his laces for the Canucks. They’re going to be pleasantly surprised next season. We got him for a steal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My hope is that Dermott will blossum in Vancouver. He is the right age to take what he has learned and parlay it into a top 4 role. If he can play RD effectively then JR hit a homerun making this trade. 

I was excited with Dermott 25, 6'0 -205 lbs  LD/RD trade. I also think will knowing systems now and role we will see a very good

RD man and he will have fans excited.. Dermott is a great skater with speed.. Great salary 1.5 million..

Go Canucks Go

• Like 1

Sorry, I just don't see what you guys do in Dermott.

What does he actually DO out there? He doesn't get many points, which is ok if he's a defensive stud - but he really isn't. His giveaways are one of the worst on the team (especially given his limited toi) and he blocks the least of all our d-men. Schenn has lots of giveaways too, but at least he uses his size and hits. Despute his relative size, Dermott rarely uses it.

I don't think he's "bad", but I don't see futire top 4 material in this kid... despite his general poise. He's certainly not a guy for us to rely on if we expect to contend.

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Sorry, I just don't see what you guys do in Dermott.

What does he actually DO out there? He doesn't get many points, which is ok if he's a defensive stud - but he really isn't. His giveaways are one of the worst on the team (especially given his limited toi) and he blocks the least of all our d-men. Schenn has lots of giveaways too, but at least he uses his size and hits. Despute his relative size, Dermott rarely uses it.

I don't think he's "bad", but I don't see futire top 4 material in this kid... despite his general poise. He's certainly not a guy for us to rely on if we expect to contend.

For me, he's definitely a wait and see kind of guy. Motte was pretty bad when we first got him, but he really improved after that. Dermott isn't that young, but also not very old (25 years old), so there's a chance he improves a bit. All that said, if he's all that we saw last year, I don't see anything better than a 5/6 guy who just fills minutes, doing nothing particularly great. Not a liability, per se, but not doing anything especially well.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:01 AM, -AJ- said:

For me, he's definitely a wait and see kind of guy. Motte was pretty bad when we first got him, but he really improved after that. Dermott isn't that young, but also not very old (25 years old), so there's a chance he improves a bit. All that said, if he's all that we saw last year, I don't see anything better than a 5/6 guy who just fills minutes, doing nothing particularly great. Not a liability, per se, but not doing anything especially well.

As a 25 year old he is entering his prime as a NHL d-man. No, we don't know his top yet but I thought he was pretty responsible in his zone play after he arrived in Van. I don't see a top 4 player here but if he can tighten up the bottom end then he is a +. If he can play effective RD minutes then he can give coaching and management some time to find the RD that can truly improve that position. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to see Dermott back.. he's a very solid 2-way D-man and gets so little credit...  once he and Myers return, it's gonna be a logjam at D... I don't know how we can fit in Stillman and Burroughs... not to mention Rathbone who's got so much skill but still hasn't nailed down his spot...  but good problem to have for sure!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Can't wait to see Dermott back.. he's a very solid 2-way D-man and gets so little credit...  once he and Myers return, it's gonna be a logjam at D... I don't know how we can fit in Stillman and Burroughs... not to mention Rathbone who's got so much skill but still hasn't nailed down his spot...  but good problem to have for sure!!

Break up the Canucks' D!:lol:

• There it is 1

15 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Right now I'd say Dermott is our 5th guy easily. Schenn has surprisingly remained decent enough to be in our top-4 but I think Dermott could take some turns with Hughes as his skating's a bit better than Schenn.

Stillman, Burroughs, Poolman and Rathbone haven't shown enough quality to take minutes from Dermott which is quite disappointing. Dermott was the Leaf's 5-6th defenceman to be fair.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...