The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will anyone be upset if we get a typical Canucks answer? There was nothing out there.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

With how aggressive JR was with Pittsburgh I'll be upset if we just stand pat. After his 3 month assessment of our team, if he can't change more than hamonic for Dermott, that tells me he thinks this team has the right tools to take the next step forward (which it doesn't).

Why would that tell you that. It's been 3 months. Not a long time. 

2 hours ago, cdgraham said:

Why would that tell you that. It's been 3 months. Not a long time. 

Also, that still had a prime Malkin and Crosby.  Not like anyone who went there didnt know what the goal was, so he had freedom to deal first round picks.  It's totally different here, can't afford to trade first round picks at this stage.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Even better :picard:

You know its bad when we suck even worse than the Oilers at rebuilding

Lol - the Spoilers are still a mess due to there lack of goaltending 

Anyways, Oilers actually proposely tanked for a few years (four 1st OA's in 5 years), whereas, the Canucks kept re tooling and kept chasing the playoffs till the last minute, which mostly affected there draft chances/position - winning culture !?.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Lol

Oilers actually proposely tanked, whereas, the Canucks kept re tooling and chasing the playoffs till the last minute, which affected there draft chances/position 

And we're still following the same philosophy.  Is there any Cup winner that won this way?  JR must know that philosophy doesn't work.  Where were Crosby and Malkin taken in the draft? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And we're still following the same philosophy.  Is there any Cup winner that won this way?  JR must know that philosophy doesn't work.  Where were Crosby and Malkin taken in the draft? 

Not in the cap era, that I can remember but before the cap, my guess: Rags, Redwings, Penguins and etc cause they can add depth and build there rosters with no cap constraints.  But the core in both era's will still need to be acquired mainly through the draft.

To add: both Kings & Ducks are almost done with there rebuild.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

20 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Lol - the Spoilers are still a mess due to there lack of goaltending 

Hell of a lot easier to find 1 goalie than it is the rest of the team. The Oilers are literally 1 goalie away from being serious contenders. Maybe they trade for Price in the offseason?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gator said:

Hell of a lot easier to find 1 goalie than it is the rest of the team. The Oilers are literally 1 goalie away from being serious contenders. Maybe they trade for Price in the offseason?

F the Soilers.  

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not in the cap era, that I can remember call but before the cap, my guess: Rags, Redwings, Penguins and etc cause they can add depth and build there rosters with no cap constraints.  But the core in both era's will still need to acquired through the draft.

To add: both Kings & Ducks are almost done with there rebuild.

The Ducks moved out several good players. Don’t think their rebuild is anywhere near done. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

3 rookie gm’s in their first TDL and it showed 

All that diversity and we get a vanilla deadline.

I'm sorry. Diversity is good, but we needed fresh ideas. Standing pat is something I could've done if they hired me.

Unless you were looking to move a core player for peanuts (the highest paid traded forward was Toffoli at $4.25 mil) now wasn't the time for a big splash. Hold firm and don't trade someone out for the sake of having some action happen.

We'll see what free agency brings. Remember too that Pearson and Myer's full NTCs expire July 1st (7 team and 10 team list respectively)

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, Gator said:

If the Spoilers, had a goalie there yearly results would be very different 

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

The Ducks moved out several good players. Don’t think their rebuild is anywhere near done. 

I did say, almost done but there roster is filled with young recently drafted players, to go along with some old core players: Getz & Fowler.   Imo, they are looking to load up, in the next two deep drafts cause they are have alot of picks in the earlier rounds. The Ducks seems to had already surpassed the ever re tooling Canucks, over the same time period of there current rebuild.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

All that diversity and we get a vanilla deadline.

I'm sorry. Diversity is good, but we needed fresh ideas. Standing pat is something I could've done if they hired me.

Patience Dazzle: this is the first TDL, of our third in a row rookie GM.   Willing to give the new crew, till the start of pre season - if there is one.   

I get it and very underwhelming TDL, after all the hype of the JR, hiring.  Anyways, it seems obvious the major transaction(s) will be done in the offseason cause good chance, they were standing pat to give JBS' (expensive) roster, a chance to make the playoffs.  Playoff dream just recently, ended..

7 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think I would rather deal Motte for a pick and call up Lockwood. He's faster, cheaper, more physical and exactly the type of player we need to start putting in our lineup to change the look of the bottom lines.

Dont think youve seen lockwood play or know much about him.  These arent different makers.  If anything, lockwood might just become a decent 4th liner here but youre expecting way too much.. just like fans did with rafferty, bailey, chatfield, gaudette.

Edited by EddieVedder

Obviously mgmt doesn't believe there are strong chances to make the playoffs, and for that reason I would have hoped to see a bit more movement this TDL.  Particularly in some higher picks so we can work on supporting our young core guys when they are ready to challenge.  A 4th round pick is kind of lackluster... hopefully they do a better job at the draft.