The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Up - Boeser -- Re-Sign or Trade

Rate this topic

HKSR

How Much Will Boeser Get?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, khay said:

what?? after TDL, no trades can be made. No body has any value. Even McDavid has zero value. Every single player has zero value after the TDL man. 

lol WTF...

that's what i originally said in the post.. i dunno why u posted he has trade value to contender blah blah blah i said he has no value right now after the tdl... so i don't even have a clue what u are smoking

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's what i originally said in the post.. i dunno why u posted he has trade value to contender blah blah blah i said he has no value right now after the tdl... so i don't even have a clue what u are smoking

OK so there's some misunderstanding. My apologies if I misunderstood.

What I was saying is that at the TDL he had trade value. We could have retained cap and send him to a contender for a 1st rounder as a rental.

That's same next year. Worst case, we QO him in the summer, retain 50% and get a 1st rounder or a prospect from a contender at next TDL as long as Boeser puts up number similar to what he put up this season or better.

So he has value.

And you are saying, he has no value because the TDL is over. To that I say, of course! TDL is over and no one can be traded.

24 minutes ago, khay said:

What I was saying is that at the TDL he had trade value. We could have retained cap and send him to a contender for a 1st rounder as a rental.

That's same next year. Worst case, we QO him in the summer, retain 50% and get a 1st rounder or a prospect from a contender at next TDL as long as Boeser puts up number similar to what he put up this season or better.

So he has value.

And you are saying, he has no value because the TDL is over. To that I say, of course! TDL is over and no one can be traded.

yes that's what i'm saying should have traded him if they were going to mvoe him this TDL. it's really hard to qualify him at 7.5 given our cap situation unless they somehow manage to move dickinson poolman etc. we are sitting around 12mil with at least 7 players to sign including his QO and that's not including a top 4 RHD we still need yet

• Cheers 2

It is still a mystery for me.

The team got rid of the contracts of Erickson, Beagle and Rousell.  They walked away from expensive contract extensions for the likes of Tanev, Markstrom, Edler, etc...

Yet the team is still having salary cap problem:mellow:

I agree with what some analysts said.

Cap problem should be only for contenders and playoff teams!

• Sad 1

No matter what happens, you can bet your boots that the decision JR makes re: Brock will not be a "Jim Benning Head Scratcher Deal" that the team will suffer with for years.  That's the difference between having a very experienced GM/Pres Vs. a "Glorified Scout" running things.    Thank god those days are behind us..............Amen!

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm glad the advanced stats show this because I've always noticed that he seems quite safe defensively. He's not making stupid jumps up the ice or gambles often the way you see Miller do all the time (must be a coach's nightmare watching them try to dangle on the offensive blueline). Boeser is safe, unflattering and not a sexy winger but you need this because evidently he's got a good Corsi. He does defend surprisingly well. 

I don't know Brock makes some very poor plays defensively. He's absolutely useless in his own end. He doesn't make as many horrible passes in his own end but he dicks around with puck and doesn't understand getting the puck out past the blueline. D- for Miller and a D for Brock defensively. They're both brutal. One of the biggest problems in my opinion. The team lacks the overall leadership to play responsibly in all 3 zones and these two are on full display there.

12 hours ago, khay said:

So he has value.

Trade deadline day doesn't mean you can't trade players anymore it just means that players traded after aren't eligible to play in the Play-offs, so everyone still has trade value just less.  But for example the TD has no effect on say a trade between Ott and Buf.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

Trade deadline day doesn't mean you can't trade players anymore it just means that players traded after aren't eligible to play in the Play-offs, so everyone still has trade value just less.  But for example the TD has no effect on say a trade between Ott and Buf.

Not just the playoffs - players traded after the TDL can no longer play in the regular season too so there's very little benefit to make a trade after the TDL even for non-playoff teams.  CapFriendly tweeted the same information.

• Cheers 2

Just now, mll said:

Not just the playoffs - players traded after the TDL can no longer play in the regular season too so there's very little benefit to make a trade after the TDL even for non-playoff teams.  CapFriendly tweeted the same information.

hmm that part I didn't know, ty.

It would be stupid to make a trade after the deadline because you risk of the player you want can get hurt during the regular season or the playoffs. Unless you can put a condition in there saying he has to be healthy for the trade to go through. 

9 hours ago, RolexSub said:

It would be stupid to make a trade after the deadline because you risk of the player you want can get hurt during the regular season or the playoffs. Unless you can put a condition in there saying he has to be healthy for the trade to go through. 

There have been trades made between non-playoff teams while the playoffs are happening. It's rare, but it has happened.

Miller will probably get a comparable contract to Panarin. I worry that the last few years are going to be a disaster and the first few years we might not be ready to compete. Boeser fits our age window better and I think he has had a down year, last year he would have been well worth the QO. I hope we can lock him up for 6x6.5 or something ahead of his QO

The fact they didn't move him means two things:

1 - They feel they can get a contract done that works for both sides

2 - They feel they can get the same return for him this summer if they decide to move him.

I truly believe they would like to re-sign him but not at $7m plus, Boeser's camp likely knows there are teams out there that may pay that who have cap room to do so. It will be an interesting summer, but right now Boeser's play (IMO) isn't deserving of that kind of money. I'm not really impressed with the tap in goals as of late every 4 or 5 games.  38 points in 60 games just isn't where he should be. His point totals have been declining since his rookie year and hasn't broke the 50 point mark since his second year (he would have in 20/21 if it was a full season) but even then he's taken a step back again. His decline in play is concerning, although you have say the same about everyone other than MIller and Horvat and Hughes (who's going to have a career year). It would have been nicer to see Brock step up in a contract year and prove he's worth his QO...but he just hasn't.

I've said this before, Boeser doesn't have much value unless he's scoring...he doesn't play great defensively and doesn't kill penalties etc. His only value is scoring goals and if he doesn't do that consistently the value just isn't there.  JR and PA want to create cap room because you can't improve a team with no money to do so...that's why I think they trade Brock this summer and spend that money somewhere else. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

On 3/23/2022 at 1:02 AM, The King of Kings said:

It is still a mystery for me.

The team got rid of the contracts of Erickson, Beagle and Rousell.  They walked away from expensive contract extensions for the likes of Tanev, Markstrom, Edler, etc...

Yet the team is still having salary cap problem:mellow:

I agree with what some analysts said.

Cap problem should be only for contenders and playoff teams!

Yeah,. and people on here still say the previous GM was good lol. 

That's the biggest thing JR has said many times, a team that consistently misses the playoffs shouldn't be against the cap. Remember Luongo is still on the books and we have one of the highest paid bluelines in the NHL which is mind boggling really. We have Ferland at $3.5 still, and a savvy signing of Poolman for $2.5 lol/ That's why there will be changes coming this summer, you can't improve a team if you have no cap room to do so. That's why I think they trade Boeser this summer. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Upvote 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, JM_ said:

I got the sense from Allvin's interview yesterday that not much had happened yet, really hard to say why. Brock's agent could have the strategy to wait and get Brock to UFA status and a big payday asap. Brock can always take less money, right now that contract QO has really put us in a tough spot. 

For me it isn't just about Brocks value it's also about team needs.  Something that's important to me is to toughen up this team in our top six.  The game against Minnesota seems like we got pushed around for example. 

We need a more physical team or we will never endure a four series cup run.  The two players that stand out to me that don't fit that mold are Brock and Garland. With brocks new contract we will be looking at probably at least 12 mil between those 2 players.  I'd like to trade both and replace at least one with Ufa.......like Domi for example ( I'm not sure what ppls problem is with him but alot don't want him here)

Hoping podz and Hogs can take the next step.

Then we also need another tough dman that can play.    

It's also a good way to build up our prospects. 

• Upvote 1

Minny game was an eye opener on how we aren't suited for a physical playstyle, and we really have nobody to hit these guys back (yeah i know Minny hadn't played since Monday and we were on the tail end of a back2back, but they were running around unchecked)

I was talking with a buddy that I was watching the game with and we were debating trade ideas.. here's one that I wouldn't mind.. BB goes back to his home state and we get a decent RD and physical youngish winger that plays hard. 

Boeser

for

Greenway

Dumba

(maybe addtl picks/prospects or am i overvaluing BB..?)

Also we could of used Gadj and Big Mac for these kind of games but I digress .... damn you JB and Green you should of been fired last June... yes I'm still salty.

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

For me it isn't just about Brocks value it's also about team needs.  Something that's important to me is to toughen up this team in our top six.  The game against Minnesota seems like we got pushed around for example. 

We need a more physical team or we will never endure a four series cup run.  The two players that stand out to me that don't fit that mold are Brock and Garland. With brocks new contract we will be looking at probably at least 12 mil between those 2 players.  I'd like to trade both and replace at least one with Ufa.......like Domi for example ( I'm not sure what ppls problem is with him but alot don't want him here)

Hoping podz and Hogs can take the next step.

Then we also need another tough dman that can play.    

It's also a good way to build up our prospects. 

I'm hoping Hoglander can get moved tbh, I'm getting Baertschi vibes. If we could move him AZ in a deal for Crouse I'd be giddy.

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Oooohh   hope your wrong about that. 

But Crouse would be nice. 

too many similarities for me in style, and he's not a favourite of Boudreau's. I want to trade him before he's a regular healthy scratch next year.