The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Methot and Bobby Ryan mention why they had all Canadian teams on their no-trade lists except Vancouver

Rate this topic

Jester13

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I would like to see something where they take the highest taxed areas and then make that the benchmark.

Players playing in areas with lower or no tax issues would then kick in a percentage of their $$ towards the players injury or retirement fund.

So Stamkos and his "team friendly contract" would now be getting hit as hard as anyone in Vancouver or New York.

Kessel, same thing.

Benn/Seguin.  Yup.

Make it equal because teams like the Jets or Jackets already have a near impossible time competing with New York area teams due to the big city life, California, Florida due to their weather and climate.

Make it equal.

Very interesting idea. Has there ever been any kind of talk/whispers of the league talking about any of this, any kind of solution whatsoever? 

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Best city in world too.  not even close.  

Don't get me wrong Alf I do like Vancouver. Born and raised although I have lived across southern BC as an adult and have been back for almost 25 years now. My one knock is it's become too expensive to live here. Likely moving back to the interior sometime this year.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Back when wages were $3/hour ;)

Lol... sure.   The average household income in 1972 was 11,780...the average new house - not some piece of crap or modest home that was already 30 years old, cost 27k.    AND back then, the average household only had one parent working.   Now ... good luck folks ... 20 years ago good luck too unless both parents were professionals and worked hard.   Capitalism has made slaves of the West.   It's happened.   Used to be 70% of Canadians had home ownership ... down to 1/3 now.  Boomers were about as spoiled as possible.   A garage job and four kids in Victoria meant a nice modest house with one income.   A degree meant a middle management job even better.   Now it takes a couple lawyers or doctors to make good.   It's beyond ridiculous.   We've lost our way as a country.    The West makes slaves and makes more slaves and the East is an enemy.   Maybe it's time we were actually honest about this system.   It's failing our kids and our grandkids. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Take the salary cap and gross it up by whatever the top tax rate is for that jurisdiction.  Set a base rate each year based on whatever the minimum tax rate across the NHL is.   Florida for example just pays federal tax, so let's say the base is 37% (the top US federal rate).  In BC our combined top tax rate is 53.5%, 16.5% higher than Florida.  So basically we should get to add that extra 16.5% to our cap room each year to keep things competitive across the league.

This would never happen though.  It would ruin the sunshine state teams (since nobody cares about hockey there now, imagine if their teams weren't effectively gifted that extra 16.5% in cap).  It shouldn't surprise you that a lot of the southern expansion teams also happen to be the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the US.  That's why we'll never see true parity.  

The problem with this is trades.  If a Florida team signs a player, then trades them, they're gonna get a higher cap hit relative to the player coming back.  It would screw those teams over.  The only thing that could really make stuff even was if the NHL lowered the salary cap by the average taxation across the league, and then they would pay the players more to account for how much they would pay for taxable income.  Therefore, if a JT Miller was traded from a Tampa to a Vancouver.  Rather than making less by paying more taxes here, he would still make the same amount in both places with the league subsidizing his higher taxes here.

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol... sure.   The average household income in 1972 was 11,780...the average new house - not some piece of crap or modest home that was already 30 years old, cost 27k.    AND back then, the average household only had one parent working.   Now ... good luck folks ... 20 years ago good luck too unless both parents were professionals and worked hard.   Capitalism has made slaves of the West.   It's happened.   Used to be 70% of Canadians had home ownership ... down to 1/3 now.  Boomers were about as spoiled as possible.   A garage job and four kids in Victoria meant a nice modest house with one income.   A degree meant a middle management job even better.   Now it takes a couple lawyers or doctors to make good.   It's beyond ridiculous.   We've lost our way as a country.    The West makes slaves and makes more slaves and the East is an enemy.   Maybe it's time we were actually honest about this system.   It's failing our kids and our grandkids. 

When you've got couples who are both university graduates, who both make good money, who can't afford to compete in the housing market there's an issue. 

I was born in Nanaimo, I don't ever expect to be able to own a home, even after I go and get my bachelors. It likely won't matter what I do to chase down the rising costs of living and housing. 

I know several hardworking and well educated people who've basically given up on the dream of owning property. Not when you've got people swooping in and paying 50k+ over asking and houses selling in less than a day. 

I'll be 32 in July, it wasn't my generation that handed ourselves this economy or the gradually worsening one we grew up in. We had "get an education" drilled into us from childhood on and most of us chase it, Canada is the most educated country per capita in the world, and most of us still can't compete.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

When you've got couples who are both university graduates, who both make good money, who can't afford to compete in the housing market there's an issue. 

I was born in Nanaimo, I don't ever expect to be able to own a home, even after I go and get my bachelors. It likely won't matter what I do to chase down the rising costs of living and housing. 

I know several hardworking and well educated people who've basically given up on the dream of owning property. Not when you've got people swooping in and paying 50k+ over asking and houses selling in less than a day. 

Recent sales in my neighbourhood went for up to $150,000 more than the ask; new guy across the street paid almost a mill without even coming over and looking at it.

Major investment corporations are using robots to evaluate neighbourhoods, over bidding to get all the sales, which brings up all the values in the neighbourhood they target.

They then rent them out.  People are being forced out of their homes because of things like rising costs of property taxes on the new increased evaluations.

People like me, old pensioners cannot afford increases at all, and everything maintenance, repairs, food, everything is going up extremely quickly.

So we will probably have to sell.  Good news: it is worth 7 times what we paid for it 22 years ago.  Bad news, like all my neighbors tell me, is where are you going to go?

Rents are shooting up; the dollar is shooting down; bare lots are ridiculous (our lot is worth 6 times what the house is worth); and construction costs are shooting up too and that's even if you can find an available contractor.  It doesn't make sense to turn this property into declining dollars.

I believe most of the main problems like housing, climate change, inflation, pandemics, food supply, medical care, even war is caused because there are just too many people in this world.  There are already too many people on the island, we don't have enough water, we can't control the rainfall, dams, and flooding, we don't produce enough agriculture to feed ourselves, we don't have any fuel resources for energy production, we're spending billions on sewers, yet we're still tearing the place up as fast as possible and building homes for more and more people, and our cities and provinces will soon be broke if they are not already.

There are larger and larger divides between those that can afford our modern societies, and everybody else.

Our precious and irreplaceable old growth forests are being hewn everyday, and no you cannot plant a 2000 year old tree.

Our own RCMP terrorize, beat, spray, grope and fondle, peaceful protestors who try to protect them; see Fairy Creek.

Contrary to the news reports, the rightful owners of those lands and those trees, have invited these people to come and experience these ancient forests.

And they have been asked to help protect them.  The RCMP and their militarized units are there for the forest companies who bought the cutting rights and the government that sold those rights.  The RCMP are racist; they treat aboriginals completely differently than the white protestors.  

These trees were already standing on Vancouver Island long before a white face was seen here.

(And in Vancouver as well.)

Ah $&!#.

Now I'm depressed.

Marchand this!

GO CANUCKS GO!!

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol... sure.   The average household income in 1972 was 11,780...the average new house - not some piece of crap or modest home that was already 30 years old, cost 27k.    AND back then, the average household only had one parent working.   Now ... good luck folks ... 20 years ago good luck too unless both parents were professionals and worked hard.   Capitalism has made slaves of the West.   It's happened.   Used to be 70% of Canadians had home ownership ... down to 1/3 now.  Boomers were about as spoiled as possible.   A garage job and four kids in Victoria meant a nice modest house with one income.   A degree meant a middle management job even better.   Now it takes a couple lawyers or doctors to make good.   It's beyond ridiculous.   We've lost our way as a country.    The West makes slaves and makes more slaves and the East does too.   

I don't know if you witnessed that time yourself, but your rose-coloured description sure doesn't

fit my memory of the time.  My degree gave me a low paying job in healthcare and my 1st house

was an old s***box that took +++work and $ to make it comfortable.  Yeah, sold that for a

profit, but had to buy another (not as old, but still a s***box) for more $ and a 15% mortgage

rate on my loan.  I doubt most millennials wouldn't even look at either of these homes.

Sure, we lived in an era that allowed us to own a home and upgrade it, but it sure as double

hockey stick wasn't an easy time.  We rarely went out for dinner, maybe had 3 vacations

over the years, had 2nd hand furniture and used cars.  Thankfully that changed after the

4th move. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ryan's last statement is a teller for sure.

I think if you're from the US it's a no brainer you're going back to the US.

Let's keep that in mind on top of the taxation when we're looking at Millers potential next contract.  he might very well not want to be here.  This is a sentiment shared fairly widely around the league it seems.  Taxes and nation of origin are huge factors for players.

And nation of the wife and her mother :lol:

• Haha 1

I would like to see something where they take the highest taxed areas and then make that the benchmark.

Players playing in areas with lower or no tax issues would then kick in a percentage of their $$ towards the players injury or retirement fund.

So Stamkos and his "team friendly contract" would now be getting hit as hard as anyone in Vancouver or New York.

Kessel, same thing.

Benn/Seguin.  Yup.

Make it equal because teams like the Jets or Jackets already have a near impossible time competing with New York area teams due to the big city life, California, Florida due to their weather and climate.

Make it equal.

Amen brother. Even if this sounds too sensible of a solution and unfortunately removes benefits from Bettman's babies in Negada and Florida...!! 

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Recent sales in my neighbourhood went for up to $150,000 more than the ask; new guy across the street paid almost a mill without even coming over and looking at it.

Major investment corporations are using robots to evaluate neighbourhoods, over bidding to get all the sales, which brings up all the values in the neighbourhood they target.

They then rent them out.  People are being forced out of their homes because of things like rising costs of property taxes on the new increased evaluations.

People like me, old pensioners cannot afford increases at all, and everything maintenance, repairs, food, everything is going up extremely quickly.

So we will probably have to sell.  Good news: it is worth 7 times what we paid for it 22 years ago.  Bad news, like all my neighbors tell me, is where are you going to go?

Rents are shooting up; the dollar is shooting down; bare lots are ridiculous (our lot is worth 6 times what the house is worth); and construction costs are shooting up too and that's even if you can find an available contractor.  It doesn't make sense to turn this property into declining dollars.

I believe most of the main problems like housing, climate change, inflation, pandemics, food supply, medical care, even war is caused because there are just too many people in this world.  There are already too many people on the island, we don't have enough water, we can't control the rainfall, dams, and flooding, we don't produce enough agriculture to feed ourselves, we don't have any fuel resources for energy production, we're spending billions on sewers, yet we're still tearing the place up as fast as possible and building homes for more and more people, and our cities and provinces will soon be broke if they are not already.

There are larger and larger divides between those that can afford our modern societies, and everybody else.

Our precious and irreplaceable old growth forests are being hewn everyday, and no you cannot plant a 2000 year old tree.

Our own RCMP terrorize, beat, spray, grope and fondle, peaceful protestors who try to protect them; see Fairy Creek.

Contrary to the news reports, the rightful owners of those lands and those trees, have invited these people to come and experience these ancient forests.

And they have been asked to help protect them.  The RCMP and their militarized units are there for the forest companies who bought the cutting rights and the government that sold those rights.  The RCMP are racist; they treat aboriginals completely differently than the white protestors.  

These trees were already standing on Vancouver Island long before a white face was seen here.

(And in Vancouver as well.)

Ah $&!#.

Now I'm depressed.

Marchand this!

GO CANUCKS GO!!

Your post is on the mark, I agree. 

I'll follow up my original post by noting that it's not just millennials and younger who are struggling, there are plenty of older folks who are facing the same struggles. I don't expect my 60ish year old parents to ever be able to retire. The caveat is that they had opportunities I, and many in my age group, will never have. I didn't get to inherit a healthy or booming economy during my adult a life. A couple planes flew into a couple buildings when I was eleven years old and things have seemingly gotten worse since. 

I'd be lying if I said it all didn't result in ongoing existential angst. Generation after generation inherited more wealth and opportunity up until recently. It's all rather incredibly depressing and discouraging.

Life ain't all bleak, there's always good to go with the bad, but I'm not optimistic about the future and I haven't been in years. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Your post is on the mark, I agree. 

I'll follow up my original post by noting that it's not just millennials and younger who are struggling, there are plenty of older folks who are facing the same struggles. I don't expect my 60ish year old parents to ever be able to retire. The caveat is that they had opportunities I, and many in my age group, will never have. I didn't get to inherit a healthy or booming economy during my adult a life. A couple planes flew into a couple buildings when I was eleven years old and things have seemingly gotten worse since. 

I'd be lying if I said it all didn't result in ongoing existential angst. Generation after generation inherited more wealth and opportunity up until recently. It's all rather incredibly depressing and discouraging.

Life ain't all bleak, there's always good to go with the bad, but I'm not optimistic about the future and I haven't been in years. 

One of the main reasons we decided not to have kids; didn't want them to have kids and the whole works of them caught in a polluted planet run by criminally-corrupt leaders and multinational corporations.

We the people now equals We the very very rich and powerful now own everything so take a bonk on the head and fall back into the sewer.

Kessel, same thing.

Benn/Seguin.  Yup.

Make it equal.

You know what's crazy?  The highest taxed (income) jurisdictions also have the highest cost of living.  It costs more to own a home in Metro Vancouver, Los Angeles and surrounding area, New York City (especially Westchester County where most of the Rangers players have homes and parts of Long Island), San Jose/Cupertino than say Miami, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Las Vegas. 

A couple years post 2008 financial meltdown brought on by subprime mortgage and real estate crash, my sister sold her 1,800 square foot townhouse in Cupertino and purchased a 6,000 square foot quasi mansion in a gated community in Madeira/Sloan Canyon area of Henderson, NV and had about half a schmill left over.  The cost of living disparity in North America is off the charts.

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

Take the salary cap and gross it up by whatever the top tax rate is for that jurisdiction.  Set a base rate each year based on whatever the minimum tax rate across the NHL is.   Florida for example just pays federal tax, so let's say the base is 37% (the top US federal rate).  In BC our combined top tax rate is 53.5%, 16.5% higher than Florida.  So basically we should get to add that extra 16.5% to our cap room each year to keep things competitive across the league.

This would never happen though.  It would ruin the sunshine state teams (since nobody cares about hockey there now, imagine if their teams weren't effectively gifted that extra 16.5% in cap).  It shouldn't surprise you that a lot of the southern expansion teams also happen to be the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the US.  That's why we'll never see true parity.  

100% agree to something like this. Stops teams from being able to sign those discount contracts (Cough TBL) knowing that the net pay after taxes is higher than signing a larger contract in Canada.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Best city in the world.  

Now we could get into a massive debate and Im sure there are plenty of people from all over the world who could argue their point. But I will say being born in Van and then moving to Sydney Australia I much prefer sunshine and warm weather. Skiing or surfing? Surfing wins hands down thats why I love this  great big land down under.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Now we could get into a massive debate and Im sure there are plenty of people from all over the world who could argue their point. But I will say being born in Van and then moving to Sydney Australia I much prefer sunshine and warm weather. Skiing or surfing? Surfing wins hands down thats why I love this  great big land down under.

surfing is way better

• Like 1