The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the heck happened to Sean Monahan?

Rate this topic

Calgary's Sean Monahan conundrum

Calgary's Sean Monahan conundrum (msn.com)

Sean Monahan was once seen as a cornerstone of the Calgary Flames organization. Drafted 6th overall by the franchise in 2013, Monahan has spent nine seasons in a Flames jersey. They had such faith in their prospect and assistant captain that they signed him to a 7-year, $44.6-million contract in 2016.

Now, one of the most well-respected Flames, by players and fans, has fallen from first-line standout to fourth-liner and recently was even a healthy scratch.

It's a rapid descent for a player who scored 22 or more goals in seven consecutive seasons, including a career-high 34 in 2018-19. Monahan saw a dip in production the following year, falling to 48 points — his lowest total since his rookie campaign. His scoring pace fell again during the pandemic shortened 2020-21 season, and it has not recovered since.

Monahan himself acknowledged his lacklustre play during media availability following his second straight game as a healthy scratch this year.

“I think I need to be better all around,” he said. “It comes down to, at the end of the day, competing and earning a spot in the lineup every night.”

While he claims it is no longer a factor, injuries plagued Monahan during 2020-21 season, culminating in offseason hip surgery.

“It’s tough when you’re not out there, and the whole season was pretty frustrating,” Monahan said following his injury-hindered 2020-21 campaign. “You want to be healthy when you’re playing and at the top of your game every night, and when there’s something limiting that, it gets to you.”

While former linemate Johnny Gaudreau looks poised to eclipse the 100-point plateau for the first time in his career, and Matthew Tkachuk is positioned to challenge that mark as well, Monahan is now left watching the Pacific-leading Flames, either from the bench or the stands.

Calgary thriving this season despite Monahan’s struggles makes this season even more impressive for the Flames. But for the centre, who is currently being outscored by four Flames blueliners, it could spell a surprising fate — an end to his tenure in Calgary.

What will the Calgary Flames do with Sean Monahan?

Barring a spectacular rebound in the postseason, this will very likely be Monahan’s last season as a member of the Calgary Flames.

One option for Flames GM Brad Treliving — who was hired by the club at the end of Monahan’s rookie season — is a buyout, which would save Calgary $4 million in salary next season, and cost them $2 million the following year.

With Calgary in a win-now mode, a buyout would free up much needed cap space to sign a free agent, or to retain Johnny Gaudreau, who is slated to become unrestricted at the end of the season and will seek a significant raise over his current $6.75-million AAV. Calgary also needs money to re-sign and give raises to restricted free agents Tkachuk, Andrew Mangiapane, and Oliver Kylington. Right now, the Flames are only $533,750 under the cap, and Treliving will need to get creative this offseason to keep his talented core; a core Monahan no longer factors into.

When the June 15 buyout window opens Treliving will need to either jettison his longest-tenured star or gamble that he can move Monahan at the July 7-8 draft. In part, this decision could depend on Treliving’s ability to lock up the aforementioned free agents, and what his cap situation looks like following these deals.

Last season Monahan was given the benefit of the doubt. This season, Elias Lindholm and Andrew Mangiapane emerged from within as 30+ goal scorers. When Tyler Toffoli was acquired from Montreal this season and immediately clicked within Calgary’s top six, the writing was on the wall for Monahan.

Where could Monahan land in a trade?

Last offseason, Calgary attempted to acquire Josh Anderson in a deal that would have sent Monahan to the Columbus Blue Jackets. That trade did not materialize, and Anderson ended up in Montreal. This season, trade rumours did not subside, in fact, they only grew, although Monahan’s value fell.

If Brad Treliving is able to find a trade partner, he’ll almost certainly need to sweeten the deal with a top prospect or first-round pick to offload Monahan’s contract in exchange for a player who can benefit his roster, or the cap space to re-sign his stars. With that in mind, Calgary’s most likely trade partners will come from rebuilding franchises with cap freedom like the Detroit Red Wings, Arizona Coyotes, Ottawa Senators, or Seattle Kraken.

These teams have the cap room to absorb Monahan’s contract, and give him the chance to revitalize a scoring role. But what should Calgary expect in return?

From Detroit, a package sending Monahan and picks could return Tyler Bertuzzi who was the target of trade rumours at this year’s deadline. If Calgary can’t retain Gaudreau, Bertuzzi would help ease that blow. In terms of receiving a skilled roster player, Detroit has the most to offer but might also have the highest asking price. Still, it would also be a win-win situation for both clubs.

In Ottawa, a trade could involve Calgary taking a player like Connor Brown in return, while beleaguered prospect Erik Brannstrom could be in the mix as Calgary could lose up to three blueliners to unrestricted free agency. Monahan also has comfort in Ottawa as he captained the OHL’s 67s in Junior. For Seattle and Arizona, who have less to offer, both teams could take Monahan to help fill out their roster and mentor prospects, even in a bottom-six role.

From now until June, Sean Monahan will have two things in mind, revitalize his reputation and help the Calgary Flames win a Stanley Cup. Whether it ends with a buyout or trade, this will surely be Monahan’s last opportunity to win with the franchise that gave him his NHL start.

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Calgary buys him out do you take a flyer on him as your 3C?

Lacks the grit., ,defensive/2way play etc required of a solid 3C IMO.

Rather target Paul, Tierney or Sturm in the offseason (after we clear some cap).

• Thanks 1

Was never the most talented player, just someone with a good shot who could get in the right spot for his more skilled linemates to find him.

But injuries have limited his ability to get there. And he never had the base of a "solid two-way guy" to begin with so he has no game to fall back on.

I forget who it was but I remember a former player talking about how in his prime it used to take him 3 strides to get from spot X to spot Y on the ice and then one day he realized it took him 5 strides - that's when he really knew his career was in trouble.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lacks the grit., ,defensive/2way play etc required of a solid 3C IMO.

Rather target Paul, Tierney or Sturm in the offseason (after we clear some cap).

That said @Elias Pettersson, assuming we make some larger moves this summer, and that he'd perhaps sign a bargain "show me" deal, there's worse guys to take a flyer on forb potential mid 6 (maybe wing) spot.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Lots of injuries linger more than people realize, and the fallout of conditioning from that too. When players are this level even the smallest thing can throw them off. Plus, it's possible he doesn't fit into Sutter's system as much as he did Hartley/GG/Peters one.

If he gets bought out I'd definitely take a flyer as a player, especially if the Canucks give up a winger or two (Boeser + Garland or Hoggie, for example) and could try him on LW.

I doubt they're gonna find many takers @ 6.3 unless Treveling can pull a Neal-Lucic deal. If they'd take a Poolman + Dickinson swap w/minor retention maybe that could be considered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Was never the most talented player, just someone with a good shot who could get in the right spot for his more skilled linemates to find him.

But injuries have limited his ability to get there. And he never had the base of a "solid two-way guy" to begin with so he has no game to fall back on.

I forget who it was but I remember a former player talking about how in his prime it used to take him 3 strides to get from spot X to spot Y on the ice and then one day he realized it took him 5 strides - that's when he really knew his career was in trouble.

Thought I was in the Brock Boeser thread for a moment there. 

57 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Monahan just not a fit under Sutter's system.

Get him somewhere else and he'd be fine.

I disagree; he has been falling off for quite awhile, and definitely before Sutter got there.

I actually thought he could have been part of an Eichel trade, but I don't think he'd fetch much in a trade now...maybe Arizona would take a flyer on him.

5 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I disagree; he has been falling off for quite awhile, and definitely before Sutter got there.

I actually thought he could have been part of an Eichel trade, but I don't think he'd fetch much in a trade now...maybe Arizona would take a flyer on him.

True, but I don't think he'd be a healthy scratch under a different system.

I agree that he was likely a piece in an Eichel trade if the Flames were to get him. I'm thinking in the offseason they'll look to swap him for another C that needs a change of scenery.

49 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thought I was in the Brock Boeser thread for a moment there. 

:lol: Similar, I guess, but I think people are quick to forget that Boeser is a career 60+ point player, coming off a 70+ point pace season, on pace for 50 points in a down year.

Frustrating, for sure, but he has still been able to produce quite consistently.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lots of injuries linger more than people realize, and the fallout of conditioning from that too. When players are this level even the smallest thing can throw them off.

Major hip surgery can require upwards of 12 months before full healing and reconditioning take place. Anybody know when Monahan had the surgery?

• Upvote 1

As much as I hated Monahan, if he gets bought out or is available for a buy low/low risk situation, I'd pounce all over it.

Sure he's regressed but he's only 27 and very much has plenty of good hockey left. Sure, he'd slot in perfectly as a 3C but if he improves, he goes up into our top 6 and on the 2nd unit PP. If he regresses, he's our 4C.

Contract-wise it'd be hard to give him more than 2.5M though but he'd probably get someone to give him 3M on open market.

• Upvote 1