The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Boudreau coming back?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bruce has worked with teams as young as ours.   So i wouldn't worry about one. 

The charm is what gets players willing to move guys through walls for their coach.   A little shame once that's established, is one powerful coaching tool.  

The only thing that might get him in trouble is his honesty.    Some egos just can't handle that.   Unlike Green (who obviously hates the media) - Bruce plays them like a fiddle.  And says it how it is - doesn't have some robotic answer for every one game loss.    He's already "thrown more players" under the bus then Green ever did - and look at our reaction to that.   We didn't really seem to care or even bring it up.    Because it's honest.    Guy has a bad game he says he had a bad game.   Not "that's a good team over there" which drove some CDCers nuts.    Guys totally affable.   

What I see is him returning IF he wants too.   I highly doubt management won't ask him to stay for next year.    He's helped our team a lot.    Maybe he'd have got us in - maybe he wouldn't have (sorry folks - that much roster change is a recipe for some really tough starts - think about that when making your trade proposals...a couple guys no big deal ... half your team over two years?  A huge deal)....

Im not too worried about his screaming - he wouldn't do that to our locker room yet.   We aren't the WSH capitals.   Heck he even said that we don't have a star  player yet except for maybe Hughes.   Millers name didn't even get thrown in the ring because he never had the same pedigree.   And did say he sees EP maybe one day getting there.   So he's fully aware of what we do have and what we don't have.    It's refreshing as heck, know he's getting older.   But i for one hope he stays until he's ready to retire in his early 70's - and that comes with a cup for him.    Players coaches have always been my favourite ones.  

The decision about Miller could equally be that of Boudreau. Does management see a 2 year build to contention or 3-4? If it to be longer then maybe they go with a coach that can see that process thru. Rumors of Tochet? I have enjoyed Boudreau and expectations that he could get this club to playoffs and get as close as he did is a real accomplishment. 

We don't know what JR and his team really see for the future yet. June should tell the tale. I have to have faith in management that they will make the right choices. The coach will be one of them. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Boudrias said:

The decision about Miller could equally be that of Boudreau. Does management see a 2 year build to contention or 3-4? If it to be longer then maybe they go with a coach that can see that process thru. Rumors of Tochet? I have enjoyed Boudreau and expectations that he could get this club to playoffs and get as close as he did is a real accomplishment. 

We don't know what JR and his team really see for the future yet. June should tell the tale. I have to have faith in management that they will make the right choices. The coach will be one of them. 

650 was talking about Paul Maurice as a guy with connections to JR, and a potential new coach for a lot ne’er build.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 was talking about Paul Maurice as a guy with connections to JR, and a potential new coach for a lot ne’er build.  

Bruce, we hardly knew ye?

I wouldn't be upset to have Maurice here, I sure like what he got out of Winnipeg. But I don't really see a need to change from Bruce either. Seems like a media-driven thing to me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Bruce, we hardly knew ye?

I wouldn't be upset to have Maurice here, I sure like what he got out of Winnipeg. But I don't really see a need to change from Bruce either. Seems like a media-driven thing to me. 

IMHAO we will keep Bruce.  Keeping him means we are re-signing Miller and trying for the playoffs next year.  A month ago we changed “the plan”.  

Just now, Alflives said:

IMHAO we will keep Bruce.  Keeping him means we are re-signing Miller and trying for the playoffs next year.  A month ago we changed “the plan”.  

I think Rutherford has been pretty cagey with the media, tbh I don't really know what he'll do or that we've really got a firm indication of a plan.  I suspect it depends on what teams are offering for our players. We might follow a path of best-return for whatever the market will give us. Maybe its Boeser that goes, and returns us a young RHD?

I'm not sure a mini-reset means not being a bubble playoff team either. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think Rutherford has been pretty cagey with the media, tbh I don't really know what he'll do or that we've really got a firm indication of a plan.  I suspect it depends on what teams are offering for our players. We might follow a path of best-return for whatever the market will give us. Maybe its Boeser that goes, and returns us a young RHD?

I'm not sure a mini-reset means not being a bubble playoff team either. 

Bruce back = (as you say) mini reset.  But that means we are again trying to compete now, and sacrificing building for a more competitive team down the road.   

Why don’t we keep Bruce and do a deep retool?  Why can’t Bruce be the coach who brings us through that process?  

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bruce back = (as you say) mini reset.  But that means we are again trying to compete now, and sacrificing building for a more competitive team down the road.   

Why don’t we keep Bruce and do a deep retool?  Why can’t Bruce be the coach who brings us through that process?  

I think he could be, and he might enjoy that process. I like Maurice, but don't see that he's sure-fire better somehow. 

Do we need a deep retool, or just a really targeted one? e.g.

Garland for a pick. Boeser for a RHD upgrade. Dump Pearson, Dickie, Poolman, and use that cap for bigger bodies that can push back. 

Do we really need to tank for two years?

• Vintage 1

I sure hope he's back....he has a good grip on how to motivate players from what I've seen so far. Gone are the old days of simply screaming at players or using negative tactics to try to get positive results. Sure, we need more than a cheerleader but you have to also balance things out and give the positive feedback and encouragement, which I feel he does. It was obvious in seeing a dramatic turnaround....liked Green, but his own frustration was likely taking over and the players didn't have anything to grasp onto. It was a slide downhill and Bruce's stepping in and turning things around was pretty incredible. Sure, maybe they were "due" for their horrible streak to end, but I feel like he gave them hope when they most needed it.

I'm all in favour of him returning...I'd be so disappointed if he didn't. (I like Maurice but this team likely doesn't need any dramatic changes and probably could use more settling in time). JMO

image.png

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I sure hope he's back....he has a good grip on how to motivate players from what I've seen so far. Gone are the old days of simply screaming at players or using negative tactics to try to get positive results. Sure, we need more than a cheerleader but you have to also balance things out and give the positive feedback and encouragement, which I feel he does. It was obvious in seeing a dramatic turnaround....liked Green, but his own frustration was likely taking over and the players didn't have anything to grasp onto. It was a slide downhill and Bruce's stepping in and turning things around was pretty incredible. Sure, maybe they were "due" for their horrible streak to end, but I feel like he gave them hope when they most needed it.

I'm all in favour of him returning...I'd be so disappointed if he didn't. (I like Maurice but this team likely doesn't need any dramatic changes and probably could use more settling in time). JMO

image.png

Bruce's personality allows him to be honest with players. Bruce seems to be able to delver information (e.g. like being open about Hog's needing to get better defensively) and players take it the right way.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Bruce's personality allows him to be honest with players. Bruce seems to be able to delver information (e.g. like being open about Hog's needing to get better defensively) and players take it the right way.

You're right. It's all about the delivery and if you simply "criticize" people it usually gets the opposite result of what's desired. Kick people when they're down and it probably will backfire. Some people can offer constructive criticism because it's not all that they bring, they also provide encouragement and a positive slant.  

• Vintage 2

Sure hope he’s back 

his humour honesty and positivity are such a rarity.

he’s been one of the most likeable coaches (from this fans perspective) I’ve seen In Vancouver. 
his results here speak for themselves. 

I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t returning because of the club deciding to go with a different guy. 

but would totally understand if he chose not to return due to age and stress especially if the team goes a different direction and in this market .

Whatever happens he’s made watching the Canucks fun and exciting 

thanks Bruce 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You bet.   I love that Tochett and Berube have had success at the NHL level.   If that's where the brass wants to go i wouldn't say no to that although OEL sure had issues with him.     If they want to make a change i'm ok with that.    I don't think coaching is the issue with our lineup either.    It's just not a very good team yet.    Perhaps if EP broke out, or Brock signed a deal and became this teams McKinnon as in sniped 40-50 a year for what he's getting now for six years.    About what it's going to take.   No matter who is coaching. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, combover said:

Sure hope he’s back 

his humour honesty and positivity are such a rarity.

he’s been one of the most likeable coaches (from this fans perspective) I’ve seen In Vancouver. 
his results here speak for themselves. 

I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t returning because of the club deciding to go with a different guy. 

but would totally understand if he chose not to return due to age and stress especially if the team goes a different direction and in this market .

Whatever happens he’s made watching the Canucks fun and exciting 

thanks Bruce 

He's likeable now.   How likeable would he be if he came back and we played .500 hockey next season?   I'm sure, like he said during his winning streak - we'd be chanting "Bruce time to go!!" instead.   

I like him too.   He's the best media personality we've had since Burke.   Crow was ok too.  AV so so.   Gillis was bad - Benning was ok but also not good.   

He gets an A+ for his honesty.   Love that.   Funny though.   Fans were uber critical of Green when he "threw the team under the bus" - which in actuality - was just one honest comment.   Bruce says it how it is and nobody even brings it up.   I really don't care how good or bad our coach is infront of the camera.   Babcock was terrible.   So was/is Sutter.   Almost unbearable to watch.   But they did win cups.    Post Green maybe we as a fanbase needed that.   But what we ideally get, is a coach (and right now maybe that is Bruce) who can motivate his team every single game.   From the first to the last.  We are going to need that if we want to do some damage in the playoffs - and even make them in the first place.   For now i hope he's back next season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why would you replace him? And with who? For what purpose? Bruce has done a fantastic job and re-invigorated a stale team in a way I didn't think was possible. Rutherford approved Boudreau before taking the Canucks job. I don't see why you'd not bring him back. I feel like a lot of this fervor to "replace" Boudreau are coming from fans that don't understand the massive hill Boudreau has been climbing with this team. Had Green stayed on after Benning was fired, this team would already be out of the playoff hunt. I don't see the Canucks making the playoffs but the fact that they're still in the conversation, at all, in April is mostly on the work Boudreau/Walker have done.

Boudreau also is not the coach you have when you're tanking. He's too good for that. His team's are always competitive and in the development cycle for Horvat/Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser/Garland the team needs to start winning. I think we're gonna see a bunch of moves in the offseason to get rid of some of the inefficient contracts (won't be shocked to see the Canucks find takers for Dickinson, Myers, Pearson, Poolman this summer considering they found a taker for HAMONIC!!!!!!!!!) and this team will probably be a little better next season than some are expecting as a result.

I expect Boudreau to be the coach for the Canucks for another 2-3 seasons after this one. He'll probably coach into his 70's before retiring. (Boudreau is 67).

I do see Allvin wanting to put his "stamp" on the team with a Head Coach hiring but I'm not sure who a better candidate would be for this team right now? There isn't anyone out there that seems exciting. Paul Maurice? (No thanks) Mike Babcock? (Barf) Return of Alain Vigneault? (Maybe?!?), Mike Vellucci?? (Pittsburgh Penguins Assistant, can this fanbase handle another rookie Head Coach after Desjardins/Green), Rikard Gronborg??? (Swedish coach linked to several NHL jobs over the years, head coach of ZSC Lions in the NL).

I just feel like it would be a mistake for this organization to get rid of a fan favorite coach after an exciting turnaround. This organization doesn't have a lot of good will going towards it. I don't see Aquilini allowing Boudreau to walk just yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd be perfectly alright with Maurice, I love what Winnipeg's done since they moved back. I like how they're built, I like how they play. He's also only 55, so he could be viewed as a long term option than 67 year old Boudreau. 

I like Bruce, I advocated for hiring him before Green was fired, but part of steering the ship for Rutherford is being objective and not letting his personal friendship with Bruce influence whether he's the guy or not. 

Are we likely to be a contender later than sooner? I'm of that opinion, so I see the benefit of going with a coach who's more likely to be coaching 5-6 years from now. 

If Bruce is back that's fine, I like Bruce, but I'm clearly not as attached to that concept as others. 

I can't see how they wouldn't bring him back. They made an option for another year for a reason presumably and he's been as good or better than anyone could have hoped for. Unless some other coach jumps to the forefront. Paul Maurice is a good coach but is he a main long term target. If so I guess you might have to pull the trigger if he becomes available now.