The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYC subway attack: At least 13 injured after mass shooting, several bombs found

Odd.

At least five people were shot and injured Tuesday at a subway station in New York City during a morning rush hour attack that left wounded commuters bleeding on a train platform.

Fire personnel responding to reports of smoke at the 36th Street station in the Sunset Park neighbourhood found multiple people shot as well as un-detonated devices, a fire department spokesperson said.

The fire department told CBC News in an email that 13 people were injured overall, but it wasn't immediately clear how many of those individuals were shot or the specific nature of their injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

A New York Police Department spokesperson told CBC News the incident happened just before 8:30 a.m. ET on the R-line subway in the borough.

Police are looking for a suspect described as a Black male of short height. He was described as wearing a Metropolitan Transit Authority uniform and a gas mask, the spokesperson said.

Witnesses report chaos, smoke

NYPD said in a tweet they had not found any "active explosive devices."

A bystander video shows people lying on the subway platform amid what appeared to be small puddles of blood, as a loudspeaker announcement told everyone on the smoke-hazy platform to get on a train. Inside a subway car, a person lay on the floor, encircled by others. Outside the station, a police officer yelled, "Let's go! Get out of the way!"

Subway-Shooting A wider shot shows the emergency personnel gathered at the entrance to the subway stop in the Brooklyn borough of New York on Tuesday. (John Minchillo/The Associated Press)

"My subway door opened into calamity. It was smoke and blood and people screaming," eyewitness Sam Carcamo told radio station 1010 WINS, saying he saw a gigantic billow of smoke pouring out of the train once the door opened.

Danny Mastrogiorgio of Brooklyn had just dropped his son off at school when he saw a crush of passengers, included multiple wounded, running up the subway stairway at the 25th Street station in panic. At least two had visible leg injuries, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It was insane," he told The Associated Press. "No one knew exactly what was going on."

Police officers were canvassing 4th Avenue, the station's cross-street, asking witnesses whether they were on the train. A sea of emergency lights was visible from at least a dozen blocks away, where a police cordon was set up.

Recent attacks on subway system

New York City Mayor Eric Adams, who revealed a positive COVID-19 result on Sunday, is receiving regular briefings on the incident, his press secretary said.

Gov. Kathy Hochul said in a statement she had been briefed on the situation and said her office would work with the transit authority and police department as the investigation continued. President Joe Biden had also been briefed on the latest developments and White House senior staff were in touch with Adams and NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6416825

• Sad 2

What's the over under on if this is terrorism or someone who is just mentally unstable?

I kid I kid.  Honestly; it is so hard not to be desensitized to this kind of violence in America though and for the love of all the gods; stay away from comments sections regarding this story if you want to maintain your sanity

Scary, I've ridden on that subway before. When we were down there several years ago, in Times Square, there was a car bomb scare. Great town?  Hmmm

39 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Police are looking for a suspect described as a Black male of short height.

Where was Kevin Hart during all of this?  :ph34r:  

• Haha 1

Man the world has truly turned into a dumpster fire.  These regular people can't even travel to their place of employment without this crap happening.  Hopefully everyone recovers and they find this human piece of trash and punish him to the fullest.

37 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

A axe attack and a homicide vs. A mass shooting with 13 injured. 

Pretty easy choice there. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What's the over under on if this is terrorism or someone who is just mentally unstable?

I kid I kid.  Honestly; it is so hard not to be desensitized to this kind of violence in America though and for the love of all the gods; stay away from comments sections regarding this story if you want to maintain your sanity

Thoughts and prayers...thoughts and prayers...

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Thoughts and prayers...thoughts and prayers...

Exactly.

It's hard to fathom how people actually put stock in that sort of thing, but the do. I posted a tweet from Tennessee Senator Marsha Blackburn earlier today and when I looked at her feed, there was a woman who was making an "Urgent" request for people to pray for a relative....

There are people who honestly think it can make a difference....:unsure:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

If prayer worked my bio Dad would not have beaten my Mom, or my brother.

I remember reading a "long read" article several years ago about a devoutly religious family who had been in a terrible car accident. The parents were okay, (I can't remember if they were actually driving, or if the kids were riding with someone else) but all of the kids had life threatening injuries. Again, I can't recall how many children they had, but it was something like 4 or 5....

The parents prayed constantly for those kids to recover, as did hundreds (if not thousands) of people who were either part of the family's community, or heard about them and decided to help....

Anyway, all of those folks prayed and prayed....as one by one...every single one of those children died....

I've always felt that the only one who is helped by prayer, is the one doing the praying. It does nothing for anyone else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember reading a "long read" article several years ago about a devoutly religious family who had been in a terrible car accident. The parents were okay, (I can't remember if they were actually driving, or if the kids were riding with someone else) but all of the kids had life threatening injuries. Again, I can't recall how many children they had, but it was something like 4 or 5....

The parents prayed constantly for those kids to recover, as did hundreds (if not thousands) of people who were either part of the family's community, or heard about them and decided to help....

Anyway, all of those folks prayed and prayed....as one by one...every single one of those children died....

I've always felt that the only one who is helped by prayer, is the one doing the praying. It does nothing for anyone else.

Prayer can actually have affect....on the one praying. It is similar to the placebo effect. But otherwise it is the very least you can do. Literally. 

Time to post this again: 
NSFW: 

Spoiler

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1