The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the myth we all tell ourselves and it almost never happens.

Oh i have turned away from more money quite a few times in my life for...well, a better life.

I know i have heard of athletes making decisions based on elements other than just money. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just like JM and Tanev with the Flakes.  Perhaps the best trading partner for him will be a team, that is ready contend: Kings & Rangers cause they have cap space and prospect depth to trade.

Rangers traded Buchnevich because of concerns over an upcoming cap crunch.  Fox, Zibanejad, Panarin and Trouba are all at 8M and more.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're not winning a Cup now, they have too many weak spots and not enough depth.  I love this team, but because I can see where they can go in a few years

Losing Miller weakens the team even further with no guarantee it will get better.  

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...

We are closer than you think.  Last 5 games have proven this team to be resilient even with key players out of the lineup.  You don't trade superstars unless you are rebuilding.  JR never said we are rebuilding.  He said we will be contending in 2 years.  How do you contend in 2 years if you trade your 100 point player?

The hardest thing to acquire is a 100 point player as well as a franchise goalie.  We happen to have both at the same time.  That's how you build a Stanley Cup contender.  The bottom 6 players can be obtained via free agency or by trading other pieces like Boeser and Garland.  Boeser and Garland can be replaced by cheaper wingers.  You can't replace a 100 point player.  You even admitted that yourself.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a terrible trade for Miller that doesn't even address any of our holes.  Is Lundkvist going to fill a top 4 hole at RHD?  Chytil is a massive downgrade at centre from Miller.  That trade makes us exponentially weaker.  The Rangers would need to throw in Schneider to make that deal even worth considering, at least he actually would fill a hole...

No deal without Schneider or Laffy.   That's how i see it anyways.   A bag of pucks just isn't worth it.   We have Miller for another season just use him.   We always have next TDL.   And can worry about his contract another day.   I was on the trade Miller side last season - same with Pearson.   You don't get many chances in this league these days - best PP in the league last 36 games.   Just got with it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

Fatalism will get you nowhere. That’s just ridiculous.

That's how people who run franchises have to think.  You can't run a hockey team based on rainbows and unicorns.  You plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

It's wiser to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He wasn't a core player in Tampa.  He also wasn't a 100 point player in Tampa.  He wasn't even a 50 point player in Tampa.

The 2 seasons before he went to Tampa, he was trending upwards. 56 pts + 58pts (including NY+TB)

Tampa had so much firepower, JT was put on the 3rd line with Cirelli (39pts) playing C.  By the

end of that season, he had 47pts, which tied him with Johnson and Gourde, who had 5 more games.

The only FWs ahead of him were Kucherov, Stamkos + Point (obviously the 1st line).  The Nuck management could see that Miller trending upward, so jumped at a trade for him.  They were so

right in their projection!  He was a late bloomer, but the bloom has become exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I like to think there is more to the equation than just money.

He has a family, two young daughters. I would want to raise them in the best country on the planet in a beautiful city. 

I like to think I'll find a unicorn one day too.

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You can’t just think of the now when signing a monster contract 7+ years in length. If this is Allvin’s way of thinking, we’re in trouble. 

no team ever has all their players in perfect line for payday contracts, Hughes and Petey now will come up at different times. Demko Horvat every player needs a pay day. Miller is in line for his and deserves what he can get. I would rather we pay him keep him and enjoy his play for at least the n ext 5 years., He wont stop us from being able to sign the other stars on the team in those 5 years and these players may compete for a championship given the way they are playing now. If this was 10 or a 20 game sample i could see being unsure but these guys have played very well since Boudreau took over. I think they deserve to be invested in

Edited by mikeyman109

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's how people who run franchises have to think.  You can't run a hockey team based on rainbows and unicorns.  You plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

Of course you can! Just watch Calgary raid Van again it's really fun.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he hits 100 points, you think he's going to be asking in the $9m's anymore?  If he does, it'll be high 9's

So no source.

If he's asking for 10 and he doesn't budge? The decision is easy: we trade him.

Allvin's priority is to get a deal done if possible but he should know very well that 10 mil for a 30+ year old star is not something that any team can absorb.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, mll said:

If he's chasing money he's at risk of being in the same situation as Erik Karlsson.  Some of those top contenders like Pittsburgh, Washington are at the tail end of their windows and will likely soon be facing a rebuild.  Miller comes across as extremely competitive and I would think that he will also want to have more than just a few tries left.

Promising teams like Colorado, Florida have already identified their core and can't see them paying him over MacKinnon, Huberdeau/Weegar.  Even NYR have already committed long term to Panarin, Zibanejad, Trouba etc.  For those teams his value was more the 2x playoffs runs at an incredible cap hit, but have a harder time seeing them giving him that retirement contract.

Rebuilding teams (Arizona, Anaheim, Chicago) or those building around cores just as young if not younger than Vancouver (NJD, Buffalo, CBJ, etc) don't make much sense.

Then there are the teams with no cap space like SJS or Minnesota.  Guerin doesn't even want to trade futures (says they'll need them to weather those buyout years).  SJS has ambition but they are stuck with all those retirement contracts handed out.  Vegas, Toronto, Tampa seem to be also running out of cap space.

Armstrong says he prefers to have a lot of good players than pay for 1 or 2 superstars - lists cap management as one of the 5 reasons they finally won the Cup. Carolina's AGM Eric Tulsky did a lot of work on ageing curves so hard to see them committing to Miller given his conclusions.  There's not that many teams left.  

I don't think Allvin is lying when he says he'd like to try and keep Miller.  He won't get paid that mega deal but they have arguments to convince him.  There's a pretty long runway with Pettersson/Hughes/Demko already so good and with still room to grow.  He has a key role on and off the ice - has been their go-to player and has strong influence in the room.  

Aside from Karlsson, there's also Taylor Hall - he was asking the moon and never got the contract he hoped.  Jones wanted to get paid and now Chicago has announced they are rebuilding.  Vancouver has a much clearer path than a team that could abruptly change course.

Excellent post.  Basically there are very very few teams who would be willing to trade for Miller and extend him for 8 years.  The time to trade Miller was at the deadline so a contender could take advantage of his great cap hit for 2 playoff runs.  That ship has sailed.  The best option for Miller really is to negotiate a 7-8 year extension with Vancouver.  He may not get the $9-10 million on the open market that he thinks he will get...

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Yes, did they not just sign Spencer? Do they not have Silvos developing? But if they’re worried that their starting goalie or top 6 will go down, why would they trade their top centre and weaken the team?

• Like 2