The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] No Boudreau? Potential Head Coaches 2022/2023

Rate this topic

Warhippy

Tocchet makes sense as a candidate given his history with Pittsburgh & Allvin/Rutherford.

My bet would be Boudreau or Tocchet, unless there's something I've missed. 

I think they would be crazy not to bring Bruce back, its a layup. If they don't think he's the guy then they better be right about who they bring in. 

Bruce.  

he has bonded with the team.  The room loves him.  His record and building a team up has been stellar and if it wasn’t for Bruce, would Trotz have one a cup with Washington?  

Bruce deserves a contract and Rutherford and Alvin have fired coaches before.  Bruce has been fired before.

so they all know each other and like each other and have had great success. 

this experiment might not be of Alvin’s and Rutherfords choosing, but they accepted Bruce as a coach and cannot argue with the results to date. 

proof is more important and the locker room is full of potential.  Bruce is an proven genius at bringing out the best in his young players.  

If it not broken don’t fix it.   

• Cheers 3

Bruce has a .669 winning percentage with this team since taking over.  

the only personal changes have been losing Motte and a D man and gaining Dermott.  

same team that was losing under green.  

the only move of substance has been hiring Bruce. 

it’s a straight forward equation and it’s easy to see what the answer is.  Bruce.

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He's not a rookie.  He's coached in the SHL and for numerous worlds/medal events for team Sweden.  He's actually coaches some pretty decent players in his time that made a splash in the nhl

'NHL rookie'. Dunno, not thrilled with the idea, I mean we just had Willie and Green. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Bruce.  

he has bonded with the team.  The room loves him.  His record and building a team up has been stellar and if it wasn’t for Bruce, would Trotz have one a cup with Washington?  

Bruce deserves a contract and Rutherford and Alvin have fired coaches before.  Bruce has been fired before.

so they all know each other and like each other and have had great success. 

this experiment might not be of Alvin’s and Rutherfords choosing, but they accepted Bruce as a coach and cannot argue with the results to date. 

proof is more important and the locker room is full of potential.  Bruce is an proven genius at bringing out the best in his young players.  

If it not broken don’t fix it.   

Depends on what the plan is with Miller.  If we re-sign Miller then we aren’t retooling (taking a step back) and will load up to compete now.  That means Bruce “There It Is” will be back.

If we trade Miller (I doubt our owner will allow this) then we are retooling and taking a step back.  We will bring in a coach on a long term deal to guide the retool.  That will be Maurice. 

Bruce only leaves if he wants to. If it's up to Canucks management you have to keep him.

He must be at a .650 winning percentage clip by now. Teams simply don't fire coaches who are winning - it's not good business and you bet it'll be bad karma. You only fire a coach for not meeting expectations.

Bottom line is if we played this way the entire season we'd be top 2 if not 1st in the division, and it's not like it's a small sample size - it's half the season.

I know people are moaning about how Boudreau is a fun coach and Maurice would bring structure to this team but you just know that if you mess with a good thing - which we finally have after about 5 years - that winning percentage is going to drop.

It would be hard to improve the quality we're seeing on the ice right now. More than making rash changes behind the bench, we should support Bruce now, give him and his coaching staff a full off season with healthy Canucks and see what he can do because this has been one of the best teams in the league during Bruce's tenure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is simple.  Like super simple 

There's no guarantee Boudreau comes back.  I and many feel he's more than earned the right.  With his winning percentage to start the season we're in the playoffs.

So let's just throw this out there.  Who do you feel is available and why do you feel they'd be the best fit for the Canucks?

I have a small list of potentials that I feel might work that I'll leave here.  But let's start thinking of who is running this young team if Boudreau doesn't renew just in case.

Rikard Gronberg, ZSC Lions.

Lane Lambert, NYI assistant coach.

Spencer Carberry, Hershey Bears.

Mike Yeo, Philadelphia Flyers Interim.

Jim Montgomery, available, former Stars coach.

Dan Bylsma, available former Penguins coach.

Mike Babcock, University of Saskatchewan.

DJ Smith, Ottawa Senators.

Joel Quenneville, available but.....

There's genuine options out there and I don't think hiring the same coaches that haven't gotten it done in the league so far is the answer, I do feel that a few established vets would fit well and a few newer coaches also might fit in the long run.

What are your thoughts???

Quenneville will never coach in the NHL again, he is done!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bruce only leaves if he wants to. If it's up to Canucks management you have to keep him.

He must be at a .650 winning percentage clip by now. Teams simply don't fire coaches who are winning - it's not good business and you bet it'll be bad karma. You only fire a coach for not meeting expectations.

Bottom line is if we played this way the entire season we'd be top 2 if not 1st in the division, and it's not like it's a small sample size - it's half the season.

I know people are moaning about how Boudreau is a fun coach and Maurice would bring structure to this team but you just know that if you mess with a good thing - which we finally have after about 5 years - that winning percentage is going to drop.

It would be hard to improve the quality we're seeing on the ice right now. More than making rash changes behind the bench, we should support Bruce now, give him and his coaching staff a full off season with healthy Canucks and see what he can do because this has been one of the best teams in the league during Bruce's tenure. 

Isn't a one year deal with a club option for a second year?

There are four possible outcomes with respect to the coaching position:

1. Team says yes, Bruce says no

2. Bruce says yes, team says no

3. Both say yes

4. Both say no

I say again that if Bruce drags his heels while waiting for a better offer, the team will hire someone else. If Bruce commits to staying, I would think he'd be extended quite soon after the regular season ends, despite missing the playoffs. And if he goes, please Mr. Aquilini, we don't need or want another rookie NHL coach. Let Gronberg remain the best coach not in the NHL and let someone experienced take the reins. While Maurice may not be the best choice, I'd prefer his experience over someone else's potential.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tocchet makes sense as a candidate given his history with Pittsburgh & Allvin/Rutherford.

My bet would be Boudreau or Tocchet, unless there's something I've missed. 

I think they would be crazy not to bring Bruce back, its a layup. If they don't think he's the guy then they better be right about who they bring in. 

You replace Boudreau with Tocchet and the city’s gonna burn down.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Anybody other than Boudreau is an awful choice.  Let;'s not make things difficult, keep the coach that dragged a sketchy lineup to a to 10 record the league during his time here. 

I don’t even know why we’re discussing this.

Again because of stupid media trying stir things up where there’s nothing. Of course Boudreau is coming back. 

They do the same sh!t to every management, every coach, every player, they have nothing else to do but think themselves above all. 

The Vancouver sports media scene is poisonous and are one major reason why the Canucks didn’t win a Cup yet.

You don’t destroy your own, FFS.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

There are four possible outcomes with respect to the coaching position:

1. Team says yes, Bruce says no

2. Bruce says yes, team says no

3. Both say yes

4. Both say no

I say again that if Bruce drags his heels while waiting for a better offer, the team will hire someone else. If Bruce commits to staying, I would think he'd be extended quite soon after the regular season ends, despite missing the playoffs. And if he goes, please Mr. Aquilini, we don't need or want another rookie NHL coach. Let Gronberg remain the best coach not in the NHL and let someone experienced take the reins. While Maurice may not be the best choice, I'd prefer his experience over someone else's potential.

Yeah let’s call Gretzky at midnight with an ultimatum style.

Gong show à la carte.

1 hour ago, hockeygod77 said:

GINO ODJICK TIGER  WILIAMS HAROLD SBEPTS BUTCHER  OR WHAT ABOUT COURTNAL...YOU NEED TO GET BIGGER MEANER LIKE WHL PLAYERS WITH A MIX OF NCAA PLAYERS...ODD NHL STAR..THAT WILL GET YOU A GOOD FOUNDATION...BRUCE IS BEST TO COACH ONE MORE YEAR AT LEAST...

Whahh? Brah….